Notices

Sexual side effects of quitting alcohol?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sexual side effects of quitting alcohol?

So ever since I stopped drinking (still under two weeks...but going strong) I've been exhausted... no desire for sex... and i can't have an orgasm.

Should I see a doctor? Is this normal? I feel broken and kind of scared that this is happening. Does it ever come back?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im not a doctor but you might be a little stressed. Give it a couple weeks or so.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Our bodies and minds go through many changes as we heal from alcohol abuse. I would suggest speaking with your doctor. Personally I would not get too concerned about it yet as my experience was that within the first year I saw my body and mind go through many changes.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
So ever since I stopped drinking (still under two weeks...but going strong) I've been exhausted... no desire for sex... and i can't have an orgasm.

Should I see a doctor? Is this normal? I feel broken and kind of scared that this is happening. Does it ever come back?
Well, there’s good news and there’s bad news depending on your circumstances. First, the good news! Yes, it comes back! Now for the bad news. Yes, it comes back! (If you don’t have a significant other, this might not be the best news that you get today.)

I’ll tell you what was told to me early on, “You didn’t get into this shape overnight and you are not going to get out of it that fast either.” Please remember the toll you’ve taken on your body physically by over doing it with the alcohol. Now you’ve gone and taken your “crutch” away. I used to use alcohol to help for a myriad of reasons. One of them was for sleep and another was to help me get in the mood, so to speak. (I don’t think it really helped with the “O” word all that much, but then again after a few too many drinks I wasn’t always all there to be able to tell anyway.)

Now about seeing a doctor…By all means, if you continue not to feeling right. I'd set up an appointment and let them know about what you are trying to do (not drinking) and how you are feeling. After all, you know your body better than anyone else.

Hang in there! More than likely there’s no permanent damage.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Patience. If you are in AA, gotten a sponsor, and are working the steps, there will be a time you will be able to work on the sex issue. The body and mind are now going through change since you are not drinking. Most alcoholics I know (including myself) were not big fans of change. But at the points most of us were at, we didn't have much of a choice. With a little time we start to realize that change isn't only good, but a lifesaver.

Change your attitude, change you life. Words that I live by.

Tom
Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. Al and the boys will work again. It is a good question, and one that isn't asked too often.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Al ... and the boys?

Old 02-09-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Barb, I knew a female would get a kick out of that. Here's the real kicker..... when I was still being a phony it was "Big Al and the boys". Inventory has a way of stripping away things like that. Thank God. In all seriousness though, the original poster raised a real concern. This is the kind of thing the newcomer is worried about and will never ask about. What's more important though is that if you are like me, you will find that the physical issue isn't an issue at all. My sex inventory revealed that everything I knew about women I learned from men who don't know a thing about women. I started learning about women from women starting with my wife. It was a good place to start.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm kinda embarrassed, but I had the exact opposite reaction when I got sober. I've calmed down now, but that first week I was insatiable.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As I was once told, get a hold of yourself, boy!