Notices

So I got fired yesterday

Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I got fired yesterday

Yep, for "drinking on the job."

Problem is, I've been on Antabuse for over a month, going to AA and haven't slipped at all.

Looks like this was a long, long investigation. Oh well, all I could do was laugh. Honestly, they told me, and I just said "alright."

I hated that job. I'm kinda glad. I'm looking at this as a step in the recovery and a part of "the big" Step 3.

Anyone know of any reasonably paying jobs in ABQ??
Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Ironically, although I was never fired while drinking, I have been fired from two jobs since I got sober.....hmmm, what's up with that? Oh well, each one has actually turned out to be blessing in disguise as well as a lesson learned.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Texasblind, and welcome!

I'm a big believer all things happen for a reason, so trust in God. I have never had a door close that another didn't open for me. Beside, if you hated it anyway, that sounds like an added bonus.

IMPORTANT: This is your employment record. I don’t know the circumstance, but I highly recommend you find out what your official record there says, and what they may tell future employers.

Companies are very sensitive about anything that could lead to a slander suit, or any sort of suit, this gives you leverage to negotiate with them. Maybe something along the lines of “I understand your position, and will go quietly, if you make my official record read something more acceptable to a future employer (like your position was eliminated). This stuff has a way of coming back to haunt you.

Since you have been sober on the job for over a month, it puts them in an awkward position if you decided to fight the thing.

Anyway, JMHO, Congrats on your month!

Steve
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

ouch sorry about you losing your job.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found a job by talking to my fellow aA members.
It was completely a new field to me
and quite interresting.

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Steve, thank you.

Yes, I was "asked to resign" No blemish on the official record. I had to write a letter.

I just find it incredibly amusing that I'm let go for something that I'm working so hard to correct, and haven't done for a while ("long time" is reserved for you real long-timers.) They asked if I had ever been under the influence at work, I said "yes, but..." And left it at that. Just stopped and said "whatever we have to do." Probably the quickest termination they've ever done. The look on the boss' face was priceless. I think they expected me to deny and bargain. Not to be.

I only need to explain myself to my loved ones and my support group (including everyone here!)

I hated, hated, hated my job. I think I will be much better off. Besides, the home office called today and placed me on "administrative leave." Meaning, I'm getting paid to find a new job. Sorry to any supervisor/manager types out there, but yeah, I'm not going back. Even when my leave is up.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Texas,

I lost my job Friday last....couldnt afford to pay me anymore....they're going broke. THey *wanted* me to resign too, only didnt tell me, just made conditions there unfavorble for me. I wrote a letter to them saying I REFUSE to resign, cus I knew they didnt want to pay my unemployment (Required to if they fire me). So, next day, they fired me....and within 1 hour I filed for unempl. benefits.

Too bad you resigned, you couldve received the same benefits....

But...YOU ARE SOBER!!!!! that is awesome...and indeed, for us both, something better is waiting!!!

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad to hear they are doing their best to "ease you out". They obviously know they are on shakey ground.

But what more could you ask for, administrative leave from a job you hated to find another. This could very well be the first of many rewards in your new lifestyle!

Keep us posted!
Steve
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tex as already shared, everything happens for a reason, of course what has happened has presented you with an opportunity as things have played out. I assume yo have let your sponsor now, can't hurt to put out the word in the rooms as well, I know a lot of folks who have found excellent jobs due to being pointed in the right direction.

You do the foot woork in finding that next job and your HP will get you to it.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know the feeling, I just lost my job a couple of weeks ago, I was hired on as a temp and was hoping to stay. Oh well, I was let go by my job before that and was glad, hated it. I know I will find something but I also learned not to talk about my past, I think that is why I was let go a couple of weeks ago. Dont let this get you down.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So I'm on day 3 of my "administrative leave" and at least the house is clean! Mentally, though, I feel like a loser and a bum. I don't like being unemployed, even if it is "paid" unemployment.

I've decided to look for a job that lets me give to society. I used to work for a non-profit and I loved the job. Problem with a non-profit, however, is there's never any money! So there's not much job security or stability and you tend to be pretty stressed about where your next check is coming from.

I want to be a postive force in people's lives and not just work for a faceless corporation that is only feeding the economic collapse.

After that little speech, it might surprise everyone to know that I'm a registered Republican. I even had to re-read this post a couple of times! Perhaps sobriety is affecting my politics? An interesting subject to think about while I sit on my ass and not work....
Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Find a non profit that is solvent.

I worked for an agency in D.C. that did help
non profits with specific fund raising projects.

I have no idea what is available in your state.
I do know a move to Fl. closed that door for me.

That is when I found a job thru AA contacts.
I did OJT and within a year became
certified as a nursing assistant.
I found the hands on helping another rewarding
in many aspects I missed with an office position.

Glad to see you are receiving pay
while doing your search...