Notices

Please welcome NYC_Chick

Old 02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Please welcome NYC_Chick

Please join me in welcoming NYC_Chick. I copied a post that was in another link and brought it here to give others a chance to see it and respond.

Originally Posted by NYC_Chick View Post
Hi,

I found this site because I am desperately looking for some help for me and a better understanding. I read this string because I was trying to figure out if the person I just left is an alcoholic or just a problem drinker. He claims to be the later. I would love to hear from anyone that can help me or give advice.

I was with him for 3.5 years. I found out from a friend that he was engagement ring shopping because he asked her for advice. So, when he was acting strange one night, I thought he was going to propose. Instead, he sat me down and told me that for the past 3 years, our entire relationship, he had been drinking a pint of whiskey a night. I didn't live with him, so I had no idea this was happening. He was cranky when I was there much of the time, but I thought it was stress. Now I think it was because he couldn't drink around me.

I am the adult child of an alcoholic, so I recognize that he is sick and needs help. I stayed with him to let him decide for himself how to get help. He told me he was going to meetings, but since I have some recovery experience, he seemed not to be speaking like someone who was in program. He called me drunk one night. I confronted him. He said he was drunk. He went to AA the next day. He then started fighting with me for social drinking a couple of months later. I told him I would leave if that was what he decided. He became very verbally abusive to me, so I left him on Thanksgiving weekend.

We were seeing a couples therapist for this and other issues. The day I left him, he went to several AA meetings that day, then called his brother and told him. Up until now I was the only one who knew. Then he realized I was cutting him off from email contact because I blocked him. He went to more meetings the next day, then called his parents. The entire family pleaded with me to talk to him and told me they would support his recovery. I spoke to him and told him I couldn't just go back until I knew he was in program. He told me that he was serious this time and the break-up really shook him to the core. I found out a month after, the first week in January, that he was drinking here and there. Oddly, he was drinking with his family. I cut him off from phone contact and we both went to therapy sessions with out couple counselor. She told me, while not specific, that she felt he was working on figuring out what he had to do. We have kept email contact.

I got a letter from him yesterday. He told me how much he has learned and that he feels like he is a new person. He told me I'm the love of his live and he could not bear the thought of being without me but he had learned something. He learned in AA that he has choices. Just because everything points to the fact that he is an alcoholic doesn't mean he is. So, he says he's an alcoholic BUT he can drink. His new rules are 2 drinks if he's out with friends, no drinking alone, and no alcohol in the house. His family and friends support him. I asked him if his bottom line was social drinks or me and he said yes. He would learn to live without me if I couldn't accept that. I told him goodbye and went to al-anon, then to therapy to begin the process of getting over the relationship.

I'm in so much pain over this and don't know what to think. Is it possible to go from a pint of whiskey a night to social drinking? I feel like I know the answer, but want to know that I'm not crazy. He has said this wasn't some ultimatum, but I feel like I did something wrong here.

I would appreciate anything anyone has to say on the subject.

Thank you for being here!
Old 02-05-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR NYC_Chick!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and Welcome NYC_Chic !
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I got a letter from him yesterday. He told me how much he has learned and that he feels like he is a new person. He told me I'm the love of his live and he could not bear the thought of being without me but he had learned something. He learned in AA that he has choices. Just because everything points to the fact that he is an alcoholic doesn't mean he is. So, he says he's an alcoholic BUT he can drink. His new rules are 2 drinks if he's out with friends, no drinking alone, and no alcohol in the house. His family and friends support him. I asked him if his bottom line was social drinks or me and he said yes. He would learn to live without me if I couldn't accept that. I told him goodbye and went to al-anon, then to therapy to begin the process of getting over the relationship.

I'm in so much pain over this and don't know what to think. Is it possible to go from a pint of whiskey a night to social drinking? I feel like I know the answer, but want to know that I'm not crazy. He has said this wasn't some ultimatum, but I feel like I did something wrong here.

I would appreciate anything anyone has to say on the subject
Going to ALANON is a really good choice in my opinion. One of the characteristics of an active alcoholic is denial. Many deny they even have a problem until the day they die. Personally, I trust my gut feelings when I am faced with a situation where someone is saying something that doesn't seem to match what I have seen and experienced with them.

You are not crazy by any means, in fact trying to take care of you is a healthy thing.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello NYC_Chick and welcome to SR
Old 02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He sounds very much like an alcoholic in denial to me. You don't sound crazy at all, in fact you sound very sensible to me. I'm sorry you're in such pain at the moment. (And being an alcoholic myself, I'm sorry for him too.)
Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello NCY chick

Want to say hey and welcome.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our community!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi NYC Chick, Welcome to SR!!

I am sorry you are dealing with this painful set of circumstances right now, but I trust that you are listening to your heart as well as sound wisdom. In time, you will see the next right step to take. Feel free to stick around with us and let us get to know you better!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to a place where people understand. What amazes me is that no matter what we say or do, we're not alone. There are always people willing to share their experience, strength and hope. Or simply listen. Welcome!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for welcoming me into your circle. I need all the help I can get at this point.

To give an update, I went to see our couples therapist on my own last night, obviously shattered over this. I found out he twisted some things she said to him regarding his alcoholism. She can't tell me specifics, but confirmed his take was inaccurate. She told me as a professional that she believes he has a serious problem and that part of his journey is to figure it out for himself. She also said, as some of you did, that he is in deep denial about his addiction. I don't have a choice right now but to try to move past it and get over the relationship and the lies. She has agreed to keep me on as a solo patient so I can heal from the relationship. I'm scared to let go.

Last night, I put two drinks in front of me and thought sadly I have lost over two glasses of liquid. I know it's not rational, but I fell really worthless right now. I really hope he is not the love of my life. I'm scared I will never trust anyone again. I have an alcoholic father and always thought I could avoid this. How did he hide it so well over the last 3 years? I really had no clue and thought I would be able to spot this easily. I don't even know what is true of my life for the time I was with him.

Thanks for being here! It helps to feel I am not alone.