Notices

child + drinking

Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

child + drinking

drinking with parents is a should thing, research says
it teaches them how to drink moderately
but isnt it an encouragement for their child to be alcoholic?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I would be interested in what research says that, I would have to assume that if it was legit the research was done on strictly none alcoholic parents and kids.

My research showed that my alcoholic self drinking with my son after he was an adult set a bad example of how one should drink!

My son is an alcoholic, do I blame myself for drinking alcoholicaly in front of him? Nope!!!

My father was an alcoholic, he never touched a drop of alcohol from the time I was 2 days old, he was very open about his alcoholism and warned me many times to watch my own drinking. It only took me 40 years of drinking to finally fully understand what he was talking about!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Drinking with parent does not teach moderation if the parent have no moderation themselves.

IMHO it is insanity to drink with your child. I say this because when I was in my disease I did this insanity. I created problems for my children because of this stupidity.

There are age laws in place for a reason and it is to protect our children.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I think it's idiotic. Developing psyches, even those not tending towards alcoholism, have enough to disturb them without introducing alcohol into the mix.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

HIya, interesting thread.
I'm quite new to recovery so i may be wrong, but from what i've read (from books such as 'under the influence') I dont think anything makes someone an alchy- other than their phsyiological make up. True someones enviroment may speed up the progression of their alcoholism but if it's in your genes then there isn't much else you can do about- other then not drink at all.

Both my parents are in A.A. - i have never seen them drink. My mother has been sober 22 years and my father 38 yrs. I dont believe seeing them drink moderatley would have stopped my alcoholism. It's in my genes. It would have come eventually- who knows, maybe not as fast- if i'd have seen 'normal' drinking, but it would have come all the same, because it's a disease inside ME.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lurker

What a bunch of bonk!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My dad would buy me and my friends beer and wine coolers... I think HE wanted to be the "COOL DAD". Look where I am now.

He never smoked... neither did I... hmmmm
Old 01-31-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey smk88, welcome to SR.
I'm quite new to recovery so i may be wrong, but from what i've read (from books such as 'under the influence') I dont think anything makes someone an alchy- other than their phsyiological make up.
Unigirl, you may be new to recovery but you seem to have a good understanding of alcoholism as a disease. I've been around many moderate drinkers and the only thing they taught me was that I'm different from them. It was only when I learned about alcoholism did I understand why I was different and that I was not at fault.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drinking alcohol does not make one an alcoholic.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

drinking with parents is a should thing, research says
it teaches them how to drink moderately
but isnt it an encouragement for their child to be alcoholic?
I will share my experience regarding drinking with parents.

When I was 12 1/2 yrs old I was fully developed physically. Back in '57 alcohol was the problem with teenagers not drugs.

So..............................my mother in her great wisdom, decided that I should be allowed to drink at home. Her reasoning was simple. I would learn how to control and enjoy my drinking and some guy wouldn't be able to take me out, get me drunk and do what he wanted.

Well.............................................. ...I learned how to 'control' and be miserable and I learned how to 'enjoy' and be miserable (enjoy being once I started I didn't stop until passing out).

Result, I was a full blown alcoholic practicing my affliction for 24 years. Was I predispositioned to be an alkie? Maybe, alcoholism does run in the family.

Knowing what I know today after many years of active alcoholism and more years in recovery than practicing, I would NEVER allow a child to drink at home. I would however, attempt with every fiber of my being to show a child or children just how bad alcohol is, how it affects individuals and families, even if it meant taking that child to the morgue to see the after affects of drunk driving. I would try and introduce the child or children to other children of 'non-drinking' houeholds, to see that one does not need stimulants of any kind to have a great life.

I would like, if possible, for you to post a link to this report, to be able to read the whole report of these 'so called researchers.' They are WAY OFF THE MARK in my humble opinion.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I would like, if possible, for you to post a link to this report, to be able to read the whole report of these 'so called researchers.' They are WAY OFF THE MARK in my humble opinion.
I too would love to see the "research"
Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

Please give us the source of this "research" .
Just the name will do so we can Google it.

Thanks