Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

One year + sober and still not sure I'm an alcoholic

Notices

One year + sober and still not sure I'm an alcoholic

Old 01-31-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BP from what she has shared if she was in NA she would easily qualify as she has said, I have seen more then one addict go through the steps with an AA sponsor and stay clean combining AA & NA meetings, I know one guy who uses strictly AA meetiings that is an addict who loved to drink while using.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I suppose that we need labels in order to have some organization in our lives. I am not deriding this, just musing that in my case I went to an AA meeting because alcohol was a very disruptive factor in my life. I identified and continue to identify as an alcoholic because I am in AA and that is the purpose of the fellowship. I suppose if I sat down and intellectualized all the various components of my life and my drinking past I could make a rather convincing argument for "heavy drinker" or "alcoholic" but I then begin to wonder, to what end?

AA and the steps along with a better and healthier way of living life, has made my world much better. In fact it has made me a better and happier person. If the ACT OF LIVING A SOBER LIFE gives me the existence that I want, what difference does it make if I am an alcoholic or a heavy drinker? I do know at least 4 people who attend AA meetings with me, and have, for several years now who are NOT alcoholics, but began attending with the alcoholics in their lives and in two of these cases now attend even though the alcoholic no longer does. They simply like the life that the principals of AA have given them.

I am not attempting to tell anyone what they need to do regarding the title of alcoholic or heavy drinker or even another possible label of “confused and sometimes drinking”. Whatever works for you is what you should do. I am simply attempting to point out that trying to achieve the principals and values that AA espouses doesn't seem to have any negative effects on a person.

(A man who was unable to enjoy his drinking anymore),

Jon
Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

'any thoughts on weaning?'
Possiblynuts. I tried that one many many times!!! IT NEVER EVER WORKED FOR THIS ALKIE.

I also know of many others it NEVER WORKED FOR. To me, 'weaning' was just prolonging the AGONY and then I would be right back where I was, sucking on the bottle.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Originally Posted by Music View Post
If you're looking for permission to go back out, you've got mine. If the above is all true, I can't understand why you came here in the first place, and why being dry for a year is such a big deal. To a non-alcoholic, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. It would be a non-issue. So, go have a good time and let it all hang out.
I walked into my first AA meeting (and SR) seeking answers about my drinking and can really relate to what Alyssa213 was asking and feeling.

At my ninth meeting, someone said to me; "I don't understand why your here."

I never felt uncomfortable or like I didn't belong until that point. Thanks for reminding me why AA probably won't work for me.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Jfangle, the reason I need to know whether I am the real deal or not is critical. Knowing whether I am an alcoholic vs a heavy drinker reveals my truth. The heavy drinker can stop drinking given sufficient reason. I, on the other hand cannot quit on a non spiritual basis. And by the way, this is not an intellectual exercise. AA's questions do not beg answers, they beg experience. I would have to say that they other concern is this.... say you have a heavy drinker that is attending AA and has been able to stop on a non spiritual basis. This heavy drinker can pretty much work a program or not work a program. For this guy the Big Book is just another book and doen't really apply to him. What do you think happens when this guy starts sponsoring folks. This is where you get the nonsense like "take your time to work the steps" or "step work is optional, just keep coming back" blah, blah, blah. This is the kind of scenario that will get the real alcoholic killed. And it happens everyday. I must know my truth to be of maximum service.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Originally Posted by BP44 View Post
This heavy drinker can pretty much work a program or not work a program. For this guy the Big Book is just another book and doen't really apply to him. What do you think happens when this guy starts sponsoring folks. This is where you get the nonsense like "take your time to work the steps" or "step work is optional, just keep coming back" blah, blah, blah. This is the kind of scenario that will get the real alcoholic killed. And it happens everyday. I must know my truth to be of maximum service.
BP, thanks for bringing this up. I'm probably more of the heavy drinker vs. alcoholic. When I decided to stop drinking, it wasn't really a spirital thing, just something I wanted to do to make my life better. I started going to AA meetings to help me stay sober, and just to learn. I've read the Big Book and have taken things away from it, but overall, I'm not sure that it applies to me (like you mentioned). But I didn't think about what would it be like if someone wanted me to be their sponsor (given that day is a ways away). Especially if it was someone with alcohol problems far greater than mine.