Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for your body to fully recover from alcoholism? (physically)

Notices

How long does it take for your body to fully recover from alcoholism? (physically)

Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
Oh, one other things I have noticed. I smoke and coughed a LOT. I am still smoking (that's next to quit) but oddly, I have stopped coughing like I was just from stopping the booze.
I'm just stating my own experience with coughing for years while drinking, and definitely not giving medical advice. After numerous tests where the doctors found no cause for my coughing, it turned out the acid reflux from drinking was irritating my throat and causing me to cough. I had to take acid reflux pills while I was a drinker to control the cough. So I'm not really surprised when I stopped drinking I cough less.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 6 status report.

-Stomach no longer feels bloated and my apetite is back to normal.
-Swelling in face has gone down but face is still red, especially in the late afternoon.
-Over the last year I have noticed my vision go downhill fast, but it's improving daily now that I'm not drinking. I was stunned at the clarity of the trees this morning while I walked the dogs.
-A pain in my neck is a little less painful lately.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Day 6 status report.

-Stomach no longer feels bloated and my apetite is back to normal.
-Swelling in face has gone down but face is still red, especially in the late afternoon.
-Over the last year I have noticed my vision go downhill fast, but it's improving daily now that I'm not drinking. I was stunned at the clarity of the trees this morning while I walked the dogs.
-A pain in my neck is a little less painful lately.
Nice to hear your not taking it to bad, keep us posted on the progress!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
~sb

For those who were coughing, alcohol disrupts the lining of the stomach pH ( and esophagus) and creates a lot of gooey-ness. That may be why we were coughing a lot.

AT 1 year, my brain is still healing.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am two weeks in. I initially felt very good after a few days dry, then I noticed how hard it was to concentrate. My chemistry will take time to adjust. In the past, I have made it through longer periods being dry, but I feel as though I have a different sort of resolve now considering I almost killed myself and two others in a head on collision. I am beyond thankful that the people I hit are okay, and I can only stay the course of sobriety in an attempt to contribute a meaningful and productive existence to society as a way of 'earning my keep', so to speak.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Great Advice!
You will not find that nutritious food
at the golden arches.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Depends on how much and how long you drank .

Im pretty fit ,so it was always very soon .

Normally felt better in a day .

Only time I felt fuzzy for a week ,I was drinking a 12 pack a day ,and 1-2 handles of beam a week .
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

This is a interesting question. We all know that after about 2 weeks or so you'll not feel like total sh1t anymore physically but how long does it take for your liver and other organs take to cleanse themselves and how long does it take for your brain to become focused and sharp again.

There is the initial alcohol withdrawing from your system but it could take months before your body is totally recovered from the abuse of alcohol. I dont know, im not an expert but Id like someone to tell me.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan1888 View Post
This is a interesting question. We all know that after about 2 weeks or so you'll not feel like total sh1t anymore physically but how long does it take for your liver and other organs take to cleanse themselves and how long does it take for your brain to become focused and sharp again.

There is the initial alcohol withdrawing from your system but it could take months before your body is totally recovered from the abuse of alcohol. I dont know, im not an expert but Id like someone to tell me.
From what I have read the liver takes 1-2 months to recover (unless one has liver cirrhosis already).

After drinking for 2-3 days (sometimes even 4 days) it usually takes me 4 days until I start feeling good again. I am a margin person, so when I do something I put all my effort into it, including drinking. I don't need much of an excuse. I can drink 2 bottles of wine (or a big bottle of booze) and a few beers way too easily.

I have decided to limit my drinking to with friends only (Friday or Saturday evening, no more mornings or days) because nearing my forties I cannot stand depression, antisocial behaviour, lack of sleep and ineffectiveness that results from days of heavy drinking. This means I won't buy booze to my home. If I cannot limit myself to this I will have to stop drinking completely which will then affect my relations to my friends who love to go out.

An addiction needs a substitute and a great one is sports.

This summer I did not drink for 6 weeks and I have never felt better. You can read about many famous actors who have closed the cork and are happier than when they were drinking.

Courage to All of you struggling with drinking problem
Old 10-14-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
zjw

i'd say a year later the bulk of my issues had subsided some. But here i am 3+ years sober and every now and then some things happen and I cant help but wonder if its from all the years of abuse to my body. Even my cognitive functions are not the same. I'm not going to say worse tho I have my moments but not the same.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm a little over a month without a drink after 15 years of hard beer drinking and in reasonably good health for 36.
I felt like a different person after week 2 and it leveled off after that, I feel a little better each day physically.

My mental state has its ups and downs but overall I felt more stable after a month.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joonatan View Post
From what I have read the liver takes 1-2 months to recover (unless one has liver cirrhosis already).

After drinking for 2-3 days (sometimes even 4 days) it usually takes me 4 days until I start feeling good again. I am a margin person, so when I do something I put all my effort into it, including drinking. I don't need much of an excuse. I can drink 2 bottles of wine (or a big bottle of booze) and a few beers way too easily.

I have decided to limit my drinking to with friends only (Friday or Saturday evening, no more mornings or days) because nearing my forties I cannot stand depression, antisocial behaviour, lack of sleep and ineffectiveness that results from days of heavy drinking. This means I won't buy booze to my home. If I cannot limit myself to this I will have to stop drinking completely which will then affect my relations to my friends who love to go out.

An addiction needs a substitute and a great one is sports.

This summer I did not drink for 6 weeks and I have never felt better. You can read about many famous actors who have closed the cork and are happier than when they were drinking.

Courage to All of you struggling with drinking problem

Glad you are here, amigo.

I hope that you stick around and participate.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
I'm 36 and drank over a 12 pack a day for the last 5 years prior to that binge drank away 3 nights a week plus for 10 years maybe more...I stopped drinking 2 months ago and I'm just now starting to feel better again. I still have stomach and back pains and I'm depressed all the time and worried sick about my health...God, I should of done this years ago right. The important thing is I did it but now I'm super worried about the long term effects. I hope I can heal up nicely and continue to have a good life...

I saw some of my struggles in your post. thanks.

Back on day 1 but I made it to 90+ earlier. it took me about 10 days that time before I felt "normal". I also was eating properly and exercising. I think both of those factored in.

I've regretted relapsing MANY times, but I've never regretted being sober.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Been sober now for 3 weeks im feeling real tired each day sleeping lots...i will be drinking over christmas though im 35 now been drinking a lot since i was 20, physically i feel ok just tiredness at the moment.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by macccyd View Post
Been sober now for 3 weeks im feeling real tired each day sleeping lots...i will be drinking over christmas though im 35 now been drinking a lot since i was 20, physically i feel ok just tiredness at the moment.
The tiredness is normal. However, you might want to check with a doctor as drinking again during this period isn't exactly a good thing if you really want to quit.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
~sb

be careful when christmas comes as your body may want to drink a lot and you haven't been drinking at all......
Old 12-17-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

drinking again is not going to help the tiredness maccy, not in the long run, believe me.
so.........what brings you to SR?

D
Old 12-17-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

took me about 3 weeks to stop shaking
i think it was about the same time when i could brush my teeth without heaving
my diarrhea cleared up within days, i can remember eating a bacon butty that an aa member had bought me in a cafe i only managed to eat a very small part of it so i think it was a while before i could eat correctly can not remeber exactly how long

sleeping was also a problem for me in early days as my head just wouldnt switch off but certaninly i can remember being about 3 months sober and not having any issues at all other than my head being full of all sorts of things.

so i think the time it will take will depend on what sort of condition you are in from the booze
Old 01-02-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi guys, im made a few posts on this subject myself. One thing ive takem away from it is that the initial few weeks of alcohol withdrawel is one thing. But its not over there unfortunately. The recovery phase where your body is healing from the damage and dispelling all the alcohol toxins stored in your system is 3 months or more. This has frustrated me, as has the apparant lack of western medical info on the post withdrawel. My natural doctor I see describes it as a healing crisis. The groggines, anxiety, too much focus on my body was/ is my complaint. Its getting much easier but its slow :-)
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you read about PAWs?

The link helped me personally, quite a lot.

www.digital-dharma.net/post-acute-withdrawal-syndrome-why-we-dont-get-better-immediately/