Notices

Proper Nutrition for the Recovering Alcoholic

Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Proper Nutrition for the Recovering Alcoholic

Sobriety is my #1 priority, but I believe some of my continued cravings here at day 19 are because of improper nutrition and dietary supplements. In fact I believe the root of a lot of my mood swings over the past several years are because of improper diet. In general I know I am supposed to stick with a diet with foods that avoid peaks and troughs in blood sugar levels, and help keep things consistent. I should stay away from candies, pastries, processed meats, and go with things such as fruits, nuts, cheeses, fresh meats, wheat breads, and other foods rich in protein and complex carbohydrates. Does anyone have any links to meal ideas and dietary supplements/vitamins/minerals etc that are suggested for the recovering alcoholic such as myself?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I followed the eating plan and vitamins suggested in
"Under The Influence" with good results in early recovery.

You could Google for information on hypoglycemia
but you seem aware of that problem.

Vitamins I found useful...
A daily Multi Vitamin
B Complex...Zinc & Potassium
Sorry...I don't remember the potency.

Hope this helps ..
Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Ditto to Carol's post.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if anyone else has read this book, but it's called "Seven Weeks to Sobriety". I read it a while ago, but the whole point of the book was the connection between nutrition and alcoholism. It's actually a 7 week step-by-step vitamin and nutrition guide, but I didn't try it and so can't really reccomend it. Maybe someone else has tried it and has an opinion?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know many who have read and used this book, it is full of good advise about nurtition and other things too.

Seren
Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As I remember the book....
I felt it was more to sell specific vitamins and supplements.
Rather large ammounts of expensive ones.

I really am not certain because I was already
healthy and sober before Alan Carr wrote it.

Again....Google should have info on this.

Please remember posting direct links to a
commercial site is an SR

Discussion of the book is fine
and my opinion is just my dim recollection.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Krissy - I've heard of that book -
but I seem to have some kind of 'learning disability' with nutrition.

All the words satrt jumbling up in my head and before I know it - I just have to grab some oreos and calm down.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I followed the eating plan and vitamins suggested in
"Under The Influence" with good results in early recovery.

You could Google for information on hypoglycemia
but you seem aware of that problem.

Vitamins I found useful...
A daily Multi Vitamin
B Complex...Zinc & Potassium
Sorry...I don't remember the potency.

Hope this helps ..
Great book, that's what I've been reading. Seems to be right up my alley as far as what I believe my recovery program should consist of.....sobriety, good nutrition and a recovery program such as AA. It doesn't give any specifics as far as what supplements to take, but I've been taking a daily MVI, iron, and gingko biloba. I took gingko all through school, and noticed a profound difference in my concentration ability and performance on exams. After school, I quit taking that cause I wasn't taking tests anymore, or so I thought, as I switched to alcohol and failed that test.....Anyway, although it says that it can take several weeks to notice any benefit from gingko, I have felt much better since starting that again, and going by the diet suggested in appendix C of the book. I am looking for some alternatives and ways to change up the menu so I can have more variety while sticking to the diet. I don't like yogurt at all, and don't eat too many varieties of nuts or vegetables. I'm good with the non-processed/fresh meats, eggs, whole grain breads, cheeses, fruit juices etc, but would love to have suggestions for alternatives to the others. As far as caffeine goes, I can't let that go right now, and likely never. I feel it's enough to give up candy!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi redstuff,

for me, second only to abstinmence from drugs and alcohol, choosing good nutrition plays an essential role in the quality of my energy, clarity of mind and general immunity.

it took me several years in sobriety to establish abstinence as the #1 priority, and during those early years, I admit I ate more sweets and drank more coffee than was best...for the long term.

Once I realised that I was living on a sugar roller coaster, and that I was using caffeine for quick buzzes, I addressed detoxing from those 2 things. I am not militant about it, but I have given up about 80% of my sweet indulgences and replaced them with water, fruits and veggies, and high quality protein. After 3 days of withdrawal and feeling tempted, the cravings and sweet tooth almost totally disappeared.

As far as supplements go, I do take a daily Vit C, and a TBSP of good fish oil/essentail fatty acid oil blend for heart, joint and circulatory health. In the spring, I like to do a gentle cleanse that includes herbs, but feel that they are almost like a drug and are not wise to use all the time.

The priority for me is to remember that I cannot cure or eliminate alcohlism thru nutrition. Its an appealing idea, and trust me. I tried it out.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As I remember the book....
I felt it was more to sell specific vitamins and supplements.
Rather large ammounts of expensive ones.
Please remember posting direct links to a
commercial site is an SR
Oops! Sorry - I really didn't know that. I only had a vague recollection, that the author's son or daughter died, and then:

All the words satrt jumbling up in my head and before I know it - I just have to grab some oreos and calm down.
- LOL Barb

I definately think nutrition has a part in how we feel, (that was a helpful post miss communicat) - but I am also amazingly, unbelivably cheap, so I would never advocate any expensive anything. I live in a rural area, so luckily in the summer we can get loads of veggies at farm stands. Plus I could be wrong, but in my personal opinion I don't think there is any real proof that high end vitamins are any better than the cheapies.

That said, I take evening primrose oil and a fish/flax oil every day, and they are the two main supplements that make me noticeably feel better.

I am looking for some alternatives and ways to change up the menu so I can have more variety while sticking to the diet. I don't like yogurt at all, and don't eat too many varieties of nuts or vegetables

For an easy meal idea, redstuff, how about pasta salad? It's the only healthy thing I make on a regular basis that my family will eat (now that you can get decent tasting wheat pasta). It's a great way to 'disguise' raw veggies if you aren't crazy about them. My son hates vegetables, but he loves pasta salad. Broccoli, tomatoes, any cheese you have on hand (feta is awesome if you like it), any beans (I like chick peas), a chopped kosher pickle (yes a pickle - the kind from the barrel in the deli), olives, artichokes, chopped onion and minced garlic (everything raw). Mix with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and some balsamic vinegar and you're done. You can even hide all kinds of stuff in it that you normally wouldn't touch, like kale or raw spinach, because once it's marinated for awhile it's all good

Oh - the omega 3 pasta (? don't know who makes it) tastes way better than wheat, but if you are restricting yourself to whole grains, it's still good.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I followed the vitamin/supplement program in Seven Weeks to Sobriety and followed the SouthBeach Diet which eliminates sugar and focuses on healthy foods. Both programs were very helpful. I didn't order my vitamins from the source in the book. I tool the quizzes and listed the vitamins and supplements that were recommended for my type and then ordered them from an online vitamin site that had a discount on GNC vitamins the 1st 10 days of each month. The Glutamine and Vitamin C were particularly helpful with cravings. I've been sober for over 19 months and am still taking the multivitamin, B complex, C, Glutamine, Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Calcium. Exercising regularly was also very helpful. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

see here's my problem:
Sobriety is my #1 priority, but I believe some of my continued cravings here at day 19 are because of improper nutrition and dietary supplements. In fact I believe the root of a lot of my mood swings over the past several years are because of improper diet. In general I know I am supposed to stick with a diet with foods that avoid peaks and troughs in blood sugar levels, and help keep things consistent. I should stay away from candies.................
ok
right there.

that's where my eyes glazed over.

and I haveNO IDEA what got said next.

it's like a nutritional learning disorder, y'all.

I *want* to learn what to do - but my BRAIN ... locks up.