SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   any thoughts on weaning ? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/142488-any-thoughts-weaning.html)

GreenTea 02-23-2008 09:37 AM

PN, if I may ask... What are your plans now? ... What's next for you?

possiblyNuts 02-23-2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by GreenTea (Post 1684005)
PN, if I may ask... What are your plans now? ... What's next for you?

Basically I'm just doing everything I did before (hobbies, work, etc)... Except I'm sober. Oh, and I'm not hanging around with old friends that drink, and I'm avoiding places that might lead me to start drinking again (pool halls, bars, etc).

scarly-J 02-23-2008 05:42 PM

PossiblyNuts,...I didnt once say that you were going to relapse. What I said was alcoholics who do not deal with the reasons they drink, will relapse. I mean, thats a no brainer. Are you telling me that some alcoholics who DONT deal with the reasons they drink will recover???

possiblyNuts 02-25-2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by scarly-J (Post 1684384)
PossiblyNuts,...I didnt once say that you were going to relapse. What I said was alcoholics who do not deal with the reasons they drink, will relapse. I mean, thats a no brainer. Are you telling me that some alcoholics who DONT deal with the reasons they drink will recover???

I think your wrong in assuming that every person who abuses alcohol does so due to an underlying emotional problem. I used to drink because I enjoyed the feeling of being intoxicated. It wasn't because of some emotional scar, or anything similar.

lovingseren 02-25-2008 03:49 PM

This whole addiction thing is not black and white, there are many, many grey areas. We do ourselves and others a huge disservice when we think only in black and white.

Not everyone who gets sober and stays sober uses a program, most do, but some don't, we need to allow others their own truth.

We should not be arrogant and say that our way is the only way, that smacks of sheer egotism.

People all around the world have been getting sober for centuries using all different methods.
People all around the world have been addicted to all sorts of substances over the centuries for all different reasons too.
Seren

CarolD 02-25-2008 06:17 PM

Glad to know you are doing so well PN!
:funjump:

possiblyNuts 03-01-2008 08:27 AM

Made it a month sober! :a122:

zoomer 03-01-2008 08:48 AM

A month is a big deal! Congrats on your month!!!

lovingseren 03-01-2008 12:32 PM

:a122:

CarolD 03-01-2008 09:09 PM

:cheer

Super!!

billwfriend 03-02-2008 09:23 AM

Congrats PN on your one month of sobriety. I just read through all your thread, I hadn't been on here in weeks. For me, getting over the first days of sobriety was hard because of the physical crave (need) my body had for alcohol; I had medical help and medication to get me through the early days(I'll have 22 months on Mar.4th). For me, staying sober still takes effort by going to AA meetings regularly and seeing an addictions social worker.

Today, I have no desire to drink. Learning to recognize the things (triggers) that leads me to want a drink (setting up a mental crave) , has been very important in me staying sober. Anger, resentment, keeping feelings or thoughts to myself, hanging out with others who are drinking, thinking about the "good old days", etc. Dealing with issues and problems when they arise helps me maintain contented sobriety and a drink very, very, rarely comes to mind.
After the first few weeks and months, I thought I was doing great, but real noticeable changes didn't happen until about 12 to 16 months....mental and emotional changes......the shyness, insecurity, anxiety are nearly non-existent.....for the first time in my life.
Give sobriety a chance to work.......many months or years (one day at a time)......life can be unbelievably better!

greeteachday 03-02-2008 10:13 AM

PN that's terrific! I just read this whole thread...really great how you and others have shared what works and doesn't work for you. I'm glad you feel great and continue to move forward!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...atulations.jpg

possiblyNuts 03-02-2008 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone. :D