Notices

Why no responses

Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why no responses

Not trying to be a ass, but why all the reads of a post and no response ??????????? Cat got your tounge ???? Whats the deal??????????
Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well i am just wondering why, people post here for help and the read ratio is so much greater than the response ratio???????? We need to help eachother, crap that is why this site is here. Just frustrated i guess, but damn help eachother, it used to be that way here...
Take care , John
Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello

I can't sleep I think I have that PAWS thing.

Anyway - what's up?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just fighting the urge..
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have to go to bed - big day tomorrow.

I need a good nights sleep.

Damn P.A.W.S. (lol)
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay goodnight i hope you sleep well....

John
Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Sorry you're struggling PC.....it's been quiet around here lately. It seems to come in waves for some reason.

I've been around but not in the mood to talk much ..... mostly been lurking recently. You're in the right place for support. Keep being strong and fight the urge. It will pass.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Well i am just wondering why, people post here for help and the read ratio is so much greater than the response ratio????????
A large number of the "reads" are by search engine bots, John, and guests also can't post until they decide to register. Other than that, I can say personally, I don't add something to a thread if what I'd have to say a) is already said in different words by another poster or b) could be construed as argumentative. Many times, I'll read a post and not leave a response until I have time to think about it. So, please, don't take it personally if forty people "read" the post and only three respond. There are many explanations for that ratio.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Sometimes, when I read a post, if I can't relate, or if I can't really think of anything helpful to say, I don't respond at all. I suppose in my Alcoholic way of thinking, I don't want to send a mixed message, just to hear myself talk (or type as it may be). Sometimes, if my response is personal, I PM the original poster. For example, I am an Alcoholic, if a title to a thread is general, but the post is about a different drug that I have no experience with, I don't respond, I wouldn't want the poster of the original thread to have to read 15 responses if 10 don't apply to the thought, things get confusing that way...I have lived by the "Keep It Simple" motto for a while now, and it seems to work in the programs for recovery...

Cathy
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Made me think, Cathy, of a saying I have remembered from my eighth grade teacher:

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought ignorant, than to speak and remove all doubt."

I have always loved that phrase and sometimes I forget it completely. lol

Padraic
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
A large number of the "reads" are by search engine bots,...
They don't show. Only human clicks show.

Many times I will read a post and not have an answer that I think will help...so I don't post a reply.
Some times I can reply with a general answer to a post but I only try to reply as able with...first hand knowledge.
My own ES&H is more of a help then what I may have learned by reading what another says about a subject.
So... if you see more reads then replies...
Think of it this way...
Reads equal the amount of people touched by a post.
Reads minus replies can equal the amount of people that couldn't start a reply with... Me, I, My experience showed me...
I would rather see one post of found wisdom then see 100 posts that start out... I think or guess you could...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

lot of sad folks here to talk with...dunno about anyone else but I only got two hands, one (ever-sufferin) brain, other people want my time or my ear too, not enough hours in the day....

try not to take it personally

D

ps is this to do with the linkin park thread ? Did it need a response ?...just sayin..

plus...I'm so outa the loop I barely know who linkin park are, man :rof
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

There are no shoulds about talking are there? The important thing is that we are here. I am in a listening mood right now.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

You are the second person to bring this subject up recently.

I have posted many posts, some have not even had a reply, some have only received a few views, some have taken off and run away on me. I never know the why or how of why some are viewed and responded to better than others. But what I do know is it isn't about me. I can not control what other people, do say, or how they react. The only thing I can control is my reaction.

When I view a post here there are many reasons why I do or don't reply here are a few of them:
I have nothing to add to the post, I don't post a reply because there is no reason for me to.
I have experience, strength, or hope to add so I reply.
I respond to welcome new people to the site.
I respond at times to redirect the thread to the original post.
I am in a hurry sometimes and don't feel like taking a few minutes to reply so I don't at that time.
I need time to process what has been posted to form a productive reply, so I don't reply until I can.
I need to research the topic further so I can form a productive reply, again I do not reply until I can.
There are posts that do not ask for or indicate they are needing a response so I don't add to them.
I try not to reply to a post that has become argumentative, there is no point in fanning flames.
I might be having a bad day and not want to reply to a post and say something I might regret when I know that if I wait the feeling will usually pass.
There are many other reasons I can not think of all of them right now but that should give you a little insight.

The best advice I can give is what I have had to learn "it is not about me" that same goes for you "it is not about you."

I hope that helps clarify things for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I seem to get many replies when I post. I guess thats a good thing although sometimes.............
Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I try to wait til I have something valuable to add before I open my mouth.

I am annoyed by people that do the following:

a) Post a response, that only states they have nothing to add. We have the thank-you button!

b) Go into a long response which is not really (or only) a response, but an excuse to talk about themselves. Sharing a similar experience is why we are all here, but many of these are more like “Thats great, but let me tell you all about ME”

I logged in here about a week or two ago, and one person had responded to EVERY thread on the first page, except 1, no lie. It’s not uncommon to see 6-8 of these in a day. This kind of overkill dilutes the valid, helpful responses.

I realize that just writing here is good therapy for some, but if you really just need to hear yourself talk, by all means, blog away!

There are many sages here who don’t speak up every day, or on every thread, but when I see their names, I listen up! Often, less is more!

* steve climbs off soapbox and takes cover quickly before the impending tomato barrage *
Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steve58 View Post

I am annoyed by people that do the following:

a) Post a response, that only states they have nothing to add. We have the thank-you button!

b) Go into a long response which is not really (or only) a response, but an excuse to talk about themselves. Sharing a similar experience is why we are all here, but many of these are more like “Thats great, but let me tell you all about ME”

I just wanted to say that I don't really have more to add.

Also, I'd like to tell you a little story about me.... :rof

he he.. j/k steve.... *throws tomatos*

On a serious note, I hope you are feeling better problemchild.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Rimmy View Post
I just wanted to say that I don't really have more to add.

Also, I'd like to tell you a little story about me.... :rof

Ditto
Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ctrl , alt , delete ....................... Damn didnt work
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thats curious this is the most reponses Ive seen all week