Notices

Been craving a lot of sweets lately...

Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been craving a lot of sweets lately...

sugar is really unhealthy and I've been craving a lot sweets. Usually I have like 4 sodas a year but this week I've already had like 3 + cookies and junk haha . Is this common in people who stop drinking?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Sonny, when my daughter has tried in the past not to drink, she would drink a ton of soda...said it helped her deal with the cravings....
grateful
Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perfectly normal. For now, feed the beast, anything but alcohol. For an explaination, and maybe a longer term fix (no pun) Google "body ecology diet" They talk about alcohol, explainations of why you crave.

btw, alcohol is a sugar.
S
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

yeah the sugar high was a replacement .....
Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many alcoholics find following an eating plan for hypoglycemia
especially beneficial in early sobriety.

If you have a copy of "Under The Influence"
check out the chapter on nutrition and diet

Or use Google for hypoglycemia information.

Yes...it's a common issue.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've been eating loads of chocolate and candy. For the first few days I just let myself eat whatever I wanted, but now I'm trying to get it under control. The fact that I'm also quitting smoking could contribute to my sugar cravings.

But I'd much rather eat sweets than poison myself with alchohol and cigarettes.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Banned Troll

The basic text of Alcoholics Anonymous (The Big Book) Page 133-134 Quote.

One of the many doctors who had the opportunity of reading this book in manuscript form told us that the use of sweets was often helpful, of course depending upon a doctor’s advice. He thought all alcoholic should constantly have chocolate available for its quick energy value at times of fatigue. He added that occasionally in the night a vague craving arose which would be satisfied by candy. Many of us have noticed a tendency to eat sweets and have found this practice beneficial.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

alcohol provides a lot of sugar, so when consumption is stopped a previous sugar/glucose source is also stopped.

But after gorging on a choclate cake, who wakes up a few days later promising to never touch a cake again and wondering what happened and who they might need to issue apologies too?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt88 View Post
alcohol provides a lot of sugar, so when consumption is stopped a previous sugar/glucose source is also stopped.

But after gorging on a choclate cake, who wakes up a few days later promising to never touch a cake again and wondering what happened and who they might need to issue apologies too?
Funniest post I have seen on here.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sugar is the cure baby............. LOL
Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been having cravings for sweets too. Instead of buying processed sweets, though, I've been trying to make healthier things -- oatmeal cookies with whole wheat flour, oat bran and wheat germ...rice pudding with brown and black japonica wild rice, for example. I think if you eat sweets with some complex carbohydrates and fiber the sugar doesn't hit your bloodstream as fast, and you don't get that sluggish sugar-low feeling afterwards.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not much to add..... except does any one have a spare chocolate chip cookie?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

From what I have read, the craving for sugar comes from the same disrupted physiology that makes you crave alcohol.

Sweets are NOT the long term answer. Good at first, but if you dont fix the underlying problem, the cravings will continue, and be anything from an annoyance to relapse.

There is a beast living in your digestives system, billions of them, and they have a say in what your brain calls for. You need to balance these guys out, or they will continue to demand what makes them happy.

JMHO!
S
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Many alcoholics are like humming birds we cannot get enough of the stuff.
Many go on to develop diabetes.
Eating complex carbs and protein is what worked for me, I seldom eat sugar anymore.

Seren
Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OMG...I have been eating anything w/ sugar in the house. Fruit snacks, ice cream, moms freshed baked cookies didn't stand a chance.

Why is it I would have 1200 calories extra a day in beer and gain weight and then stop and still gain weight. (the sugar i'm eating btw does not equal 1200 replacement calories for beer).
Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sober_wannabe

wow now i understand!

omg I have totally become a sugar junkie and it's been driving me crazy! i'm like okay i'm ready to start shedding some weight since i've quit drinking over 500 calories a night, but the next day and all day i crave anything sweet (even if i would normally not want it). I feel better for at least understanding why I'm having the cravings and now I'm going to try to address it and substitute foods that will help and not hinder me. i actually had a male co-worker ask me (after i inquired about the whereabouts of the morning sweets) if i was pregnant because i had been eating so many sweets. after mentally kicking myself in the rear for being so disgusted with myself, i explained to him why i believed i was craving sweets so much. wow. thanks so much for the question and answers. just what i needed.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sober_wannabe

by the way, i just went to hypoglycemia.org and took the test, anything over 20 is considered to be at risk, i scored 75. good grief. at least i have validation, i have suspected this for a long time.

a quote from the site.....
"I have never, ever seen an alcoholic who wasn't hypoglycemic. It just doesn't occur, it's the same problem." Dr. Douglas M. Baird, HSF Medical Director, author of The Blood Sugar Hotline

just an fyi. thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is probably the most common misconception about diabetes. If you have diabetes, you do need to watch your sugar and carbohydrate intake to properly manage your blood sugar level with the help of your Registered Dietitian. However, if you do not have diabetes, sugar intake will not cause diabetes. So far, a diet high in calories, being overweight, and an inactive lifestyle are the main risk factors for Type 2 diabetes.

I use alot of sugar (2 Tbp) in each cup of my favorite Starbucks Bold Sumatra coffee and on my cereal....Most excellent!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hannitized

For me, the opposite happened. I control my carbs and do not eat sugar save for the sugar found in natural foods. At least that is what I STRIVE to do.

When hungover, sometimes I would get incredible cravings for sweets. Since I stopped drinking, those cravings have diminished.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I ate no sweets for years before I stopped drinking....I guess I didn't want it cause of all the sugar in alchohol.

I was diagnosed diabetic a number of years before I stopped drinking.

Now I constantly want sweets and am struggling with it. I am doing a little better the last few weeks.

It is really hard when the AA groups pass around sugar all the time at meetings, not blaming or anything, it just another struggle in sobriety. Fortunately I have found a number of people who are diebetic and that helps. Also I often bring fruit or non-sweet treats to birthday nite so there are other options. Turning down a free drink was always hard...same with free sweets.