Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

A thread for those of us sober since Jan 1st 2008

Notices

A thread for those of us sober since Jan 1st 2008

Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Speedy recovery caraway. True if its not one thing its another. I'll second that.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well, the headaches been back again today, on and off. Spent alot of time lying around feeling headachy tired and sick - thats the migraine so nothing serious, just a nuisance. Its not really bad, I've had worse. Managed to get to an AA meeting this evening.

Thanks for reminding me about the milkthistle CD-RUN. I've also added folic acid to my list of nutrients.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Last time I quit 2 years ago I started taking Milk Thistle and vitaman B. It seemed to make a big difference in how I felt.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Just a quick stop-in to say I'm still in the running—hitting day 30 in a few moments. I've sort of absorbed myself in playing guitar most of my free time and haven't been around. But I feel pretty good, no major cravings, and concentrating on staying this way. Congrats to all of us.

Peace—
Padraic
Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Congratulations Padraic and everyone else with 30 days today!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Still here.

According to the PAWS stuff, the next few days will be our "witching hour", so lets all be careful. I know my own AV has been after me on & off the last few days.

Everyone else still on board?

S
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I don't really belong on this thread but wanted you all to know that I've been lurking. :-)

In the past two years I've had long sober periods, peppered with very "wet" ones. The last one was the shortest, at 2 months, and that is the only one that I did with AA. Can't figure that one out! Holidays were too much for me I guess.

Anyway, I don't have anywhere near the time you have, in fact, I only have today, but I will follow along with you if that's alright?

best,
A
Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

"Anyway, I don't have anywhere near the time you have, in fact, I only have today"

It's all any of us have, welcome!

S
Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our newest SR members!
Honeypot..
Alberta...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi alberta, welcome to SR. How are you doing?

And hooray for all of us with 30 days today!:bounce
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well, still here. Feeling ok quite happy really but still tired. I've started taking a better iron tonic. I've got the books 'under the influence' and 'beyond the influence' but don't know where I've left them, I will have to find them to have another look at the recommended nutrition for early recovery. I've bought a couple of other alcohol recovery books and I'm reading them at the moment too, but very slowly as I mainly read at night and have to put them down after while and read something else otherwise they keep me awake thinking about them. I've got a bit of a compulsion going on in wanting to order some more alcohol related books and get lots of different angles on it. There are loads of them and so many of them sound so interesting. A few have been mentioned here, thats what got me started!

Last night I finished off with reading a collection of true ghost stories, I can get to sleep with those. But last night when I put the light out and turned over, as I was dozing off I felt a gentle prodding at my back. Well, I shouted out, heart racing - of course it was one of the cats. Took me ages to get back to sleep so tired again today!

So main problem at the moment is tiredness. Theres lots I want to get done but will have to accept that I'm limited in what I can realistically do at the moment. Acceptance, a big thing to learn, crops up in all sorts of ways.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

thought I would check in... I actually had two weeks under my belt before new years eve but slipped up at a regae show in ft. lauderdale that had an open bar. Im abstaining from alcohol and benzos while im not "technically" in what many of you consider to be recovery for me I feel I'm in much better shape then I was psychically and mentally from a month ago.

My story is like many others here. Multiple DUI's chemical dependence etc. What brought me to my knees wasn't the DUI's the chemical dependence, family, lost job, financial ruin or any of that. Its the shakes. I work with my hands as an ac mechanic and I noticed I was starting to get task oriented tremmors in my hands like a messed up coordination with my hands which I know is caused by damage to my nervous system or brain. I thought WTF am I doing to myself I am only twenty three? I have been using benzos daily and drinking for about five years with the drinking and three with the benzos.

About a week before new years eve I went to the doc to get put on anti-depresants to treat the depression caused by the abuse of the alcohol and benzos. To tell you the truth I think they have been helping out alot and I was always a critic of them. Without them I don't know If I could have made it to day 31-32 without a drink or a pill. Now granted im not completely clean and sober Im still smoking pot the same as I used too maybe a little bit more but pharmacologically speaking Im doing sooo much better.

The Tremors are less now but still there but seem to be making slow but steady improvement. I haven't been going to meetings or working any sort of conventional program and after lurking around here for awhile I realize many of you consider this suicidal but Im pretty positive and I know where to go If I really feel Im in danger of picking up.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hello QuantumMeltdown. Its good to hear you've managed 31-32 days too. I'm on antidepressants aswell and find them very helpful. Glad to hear the tremors are getting less, hopefully they'll soon go altogether. I find that taking a good multivitamin and mineral supplement seems to help too. Plenty of vitamin b (and also c and lots of other things that your body is probably a bit low in) but as you've been lurking, I'm sure you know all that anyway.

Don't know an awful lot about pot smoking effects. Some people seem to be able to smoke daily and it doesn't affect them and others seem to be harmed by it, lets hope you're one of the former!

I hope you manage to keep off the alcohol and benzos without any other help, I'm afraid I couldn't (alcohol that is - don't know anything about benzos). I can stop ok, done it loads of times, but picked up a drink again loads of times too. I'm going to AA now. Its nice to be with people who have the same problem. A program also gives you advice on how to live and cope with life which I'm still learning to do. I find a program can be quite uplifting, it helps to give life more purpose, especially when you're prone to being depressed. Of course some people do manage to stay sober without.

Anyway keep us posted with your progress QM.