Notices

Shielding Myself from Alcohol and Drugs

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Banned Troll

Shielding Myself from Alcohol and Drugs

I dreamed of a normal life growing up but that stopped at about age 21. I locked myself away, withdrew from society, but held my bottles close. My life had become a labyrinth of alcohol and drugs. Never again did I ever consider reaching for the light of day for my dark and dismal life seemed the only one worth living.

Somehow I had seen the end, witnessed the truth, and reached for the light. I have been sober almost seven months. I have gone to two weddings, vacationed in Florida, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, hosted a number opf parties, was even able to open the front door at Halloween, invited my entire family over for Thanksgiving, made it through Christmas, Watched the Ball Drop, and to kick off the New Year went to Gillette Stadium and watched the New England Patriots win a championship game. If I have to continue to hide from a bottle then I might as well hide with it.

Slideshow of Championship Game - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Video of Pats Vid - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Video of Championship Trophy - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I just got back from one incredible game. I have not been to the new stadium and getting the tickets last minute was very stressful. The good news was that most of the crowd were already there having their tailgate parties so traffic was light. We found the ticket booth paid $50 to park and headed to the stadium. Booze bottles, barbeque and smell of old bar rooms were everywhere. Then I got hit with the unmistakable odor of some marijuana. I personally could not believe the degree of public drinking, to the point of bringing beverages into the stadium. If the Massachusetts State Police had a quota to meet with DWI’s this was the night.

My wife and I got there just as the National Anthem was being sung and the F22’s flew over head. Incredible magical experience it was fantastic. I went to see the Red Sox for the first time in 20 years and cried through most of the game, this game was no different. While I was drinking I could not attend such events let alone enjoy them. Booze kept me prisoner but thanks to GOD and AA’s 12 steps I can go anywhere on earth and not be tempted by booze. As the Big Book says I will recoil from it as though it were a hot flame. It was a great game and I enjoyed every minute of it. I have a commitment Wednesday night and can’t wait to talk about it.

On the way home my wife asked me if I wanted a drink at the game I said yes I could have used a Coke. I had a great time. Meeting my sponsor this morning so I have to go I hope you enjoy the Video’s and Slideshow. If my wife is reading this now I love you and thank-you for a fantastic Birthday gift, we have come a long way baby......
Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

bonsai12 I was grinning from ear to ear as I read your post!!! Your story minus the drugs sounds very much like mine.

The promises in the BB have come true for me as well, I can and do go where ever I please, I do what I want to do today, I am a free man after many years of being a slave to alcohol. you have found in AA what I have found, freedom and happiness..... life itself.