Notices

Day 19...still going, and going, and...

Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Day 19...still going, and going, and...

Since the first of the month, I made the decision to drop the alcohol (yet again.) Sometimes I feel like what is the use. I have done this before and failed. What makes "now" any different than before? What is going to change this time to allow me to succeed?
The answer is simply, it is today. It isn't last February, nor is it five weeks ago when I seen how fast I could down a pint of brandy before I got home. It is the present, the only real and absolute moment in my life. Today has no ties to yesterday or tomorrow—only if I allow it to do so. My choice. Because I fell back into drinking several months gives no real lead for me to do that today. My choice. The cravings have been fairly constant this time and somehow I have retained my decision and stayed sober. For that I am thankful.

For any of you who suffer the choice of sobriety, I would send words of encouragement and hope. The pain of quitting is nothing to the pain of returning to that hell of slavery to the bottle. It has been 19 days since my last drink of alcohol and the persuasive whisper of her voice and the embrace of her arms, slowly stifling my will power to resist, is still fresh in my mind. For that reason, I remain vigilant and wary. The traps are there, still unsprung, waiting for me. But as the days of sobriety cumulate, so I become a bit stronger. I have fallen in the past...but not today. 19 days of sobriety and 19 days of freedom. But most importantly...today I am truly alive. Who could ask for more.

Peace to all

Padraic
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Padraic.....
Good for you!
Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Good job !

and today - it's 14!

that's like .. two weeks or something.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
Good job !

and today - it's 14!

that's like .. two weeks or something.
You have him going backwards dear!

Keep going Paddy! Can I call you Paddy?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*skwint*

Oh. that's a NINE ... I thought it was a four.

nevermind.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ok then
TWENTY.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's always good to see you, Padraic. Well done
Old 01-19-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

You may indeed, Stone, lots do.

Padraic (Paddy)
Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, you're doing great! I know the feeling of starting over, In fact I'm pretty good at it. But each time I feel more empowered by experience to do better.

Just dont quit trying, no matter what. Lets see, 18 days, thats at least 18 days longer you will live (by steves numbers, anyway).

Glad to see you back!
S
Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks for the wise words padraic, i tend to lurk around the forums sucking up as much inspiration as i can

:ghug3
Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My last drop of alcohol was the 31st of last month too! ...and I dont plan on drinking again any time soon!

Good job to you. Congrats. Just be sure to keep it up.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SOnny - what the HECK is your avatar DOING !?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I had to go back and read what you wrote twice.

Padraic - way to go on another day!!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Creekryder!

I remember you from the "Two weeks and under" thread - you kind of disappeared from there and I was worried that you had fallen off the wagon. I'm very glad and relieved to see that you are still here and sober, strong and determined.

Like you and Sonny McB, I had my last drink on New year's eve. It's getting easier isn't it? I've had my ups and downs but on the whole I keep feeling better and better. We'll get through this.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mandarina View Post
Hi Creekryder!

I remember you from the "Two weeks and under" thread - you kind of disappeared from there and I was worried that you had fallen off the wagon. I'm very glad and relieved to see that you are still here and sober, strong and determined.

Like you and Sonny McB, I had my last drink on New year's eve. It's getting easier isn't it? I've had my ups and downs but on the whole I keep feeling better and better. We'll get through this.
I had one day where I went out and everyone was drinking.. I was freakin out almost because I wanted to join in. Then several days later I went out again and everyone was drinking and it was actually quite easy not to. I don't know if it was just because of the state of mind I was in or if it was because the extra few days of sobriety actually did make it easier.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Sonny & Mandarina—
Thanks guys, I guess we're on the same road at the same time. I am glad for the company. As far as getting easier, well, unfortunately is not that way with me this time. I will write more on this this evening, as work calls my attentions.
All have a great day.

Padraic
Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey creek, nice to meet you, and good that your still sober. Have you been in any type of program of recovery???

Tom
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just want to say hey
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Well, here I sit, sober and almost 21 days as such. But this time has been different. Each day after about a week of sobriety, I have been plagued with strong urges to drink. It seems something inside me senses the diminished drive to quit, unlike the enthusiasm I had almost a year ago when I first came to this site. The old desires to get a buzz seem to invade these little cracks in my resolve and try to break it down...like water that enters fissures in a rock, freezes, and finally breaks the rock into pieces. I have to really fight off the urges and this site, with people who care and share the same maladies, are my saving grace. Meetings are a fair distance away (except for the scary one with the crewcut person (remember that one, Barb?) and with the cost of gasoline and my work schedule, I don't seem to be able to travel to them. So I must, dear friends, rely upon your help to continue this abstinence.

This evening I went to an acquaintance's home to play a little guitar and talk music. He was drinking beer and of course offered one to me. Luckily, it was not a problem to say no thanks tonight. After a couple of hours playing the blues, he began to sink into an alcohol drowsiness and I decided to go home. Driving home in the sleet that had begun to fall, I was thankful I was sober. I was thankful I was not in that drowsiness I have induced so many times in the past. Tonight has been a quiet evening for the urges; I will enjoy the reprieve while it is here. What happens tomorrow will just have to wait until then. Tonight I rest.

May you all move within your own peace this evening and those to come. My thoughts are with you.

Padraic
Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Regarding the thoughts,desires,urges,and/or obsessions to drink I found the more I exerted my mind or my will against them the less I sought out the solution presented in the big book. Meetings are one thing,but the 12 steps are another thing altogether.Having experienced half a dozen periods of sobriety spanning between six months to four years during which I was in a state of virtually continuous freedom from the obsession to drink,I finally saw that my "relapses" were in corelation to my eventual re-emergent SELF RELIANCE.

No God, no peace
Know God, know peace
Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats Padriac, are there any AA folks near you? You would be amazed at how easy it is to start a meeting near you and a few other folks. Something to think about....

I hate throwing a damper on the congrats thread, but I just had to mention that length of sobriety does not mean extra resolve, many times it winds up being a weakened resolve. I have heard old timers say that unless they are working and living your program that the further they get away from their last drink the closer they are getting to their next drink.

Good job, just keep it up Padriac ODAAT.