Notices

news flash

Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

news flash

I just read that the teen that was killed by the tiger at the SF zoo had a blood alcohol level of 0.16 twice the legal limit. The survivors admitted to taunting the tiger before the attack. How sad for his family and all that knew him. Was alcohol a contributing factor in his death?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

uh..........yeah!

who in their right would taunt a tiger when sober?

just goes to show how this disease kills...and in a miriad of bizarre ways.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I will be honest and say there is not enough booze in the world to get this alcoholic to tease a tiger, of course I am well aware that driving drunk is crazy, driving 100mph drunk is crazier, but I have done both of those while drinking, so I guess they liked teasing animals and the booze made them a bit braver then they would have been sober. Sad that it happened.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Banned Troll

Teasing the Tiger for me is not having a sponsor and a regular home group. Teasing the Tiger is saying that I don’t have to go to a meeting tonight. Teasing the Tiger is not working the steps. Teasing the Tiger is not reading the BB. Teasing the Tiger is not calling people in AA. Teasing the Tiger is not getting and giving phone numbers. Teasing the Tiger is telling me I can have just one to rattle his cage.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Teasing the tiger is a pretty daft thing to do.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

I heard it on the news this morning. Another fatality due to alcohol. How sad.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this one's down to stupidity actually.

D
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

A few years ago, one of the Lincoln Park Zoo's tigers was in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital for routine dental cleaning. They also did survey radiographs and I was in radiology at the time.

The animal was anesthetized and it is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. It's canine teeth were unbelievable and everything about it was familiar (it was just like any cat) and yet ludicrously enlarged. The whiskers were like twigs and it had this huge broad pink nose.

I put the paws up against my hands which were dwarfed by the giant rough pads and extended one of the claws which was almost 3 inches long and needle sharp. The fur was wonderful, clean and soft - very dense and I wanted to throw myself across the cat and just snuggle it; it looked so peaceful, like a humungous house cat taking a nap. I couldn't of course, even an anesthetized animal is not totally safe; they can wake up suddenly.

It's hard to convey what an amazing experience it was in writing. Even asleep the tiger was powerful, dangerous and incredibly beautiful - it was also a little scary. I can't imagine how "anesthetized" you'd have to be to think it's a good idea to mess with an awake tiger.

~SK
Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by St_Kurt View Post
A few years ago, one of the Lincoln Park Zoo's tigers was in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital for routine dental cleaning. They also did survey radiographs and I was in radiology at the time.

The animal was anesthetized and it is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. It's canine teeth were unbelievable and everything about it was familiar (it was just like any cat) and yet ludicrously enlarged. The whiskers were like twigs and it had this huge broad pink nose.

I put the paws up against my hands which were dwarfed by the giant rough pads and extended one of the claws which was almost 3 inches long and needle sharp. The fur was wonderful, clean and soft - very dense and I wanted to throw myself across the cat and just snuggle it; it looked so peaceful, like a humungous house cat taking a nap. I couldn't of course, even an anesthetized animal is not totally safe; they can wake up suddenly.

It's hard to convey what an amazing experience it was in writing. Even asleep the tiger was powerful, dangerous and incredibly beautiful - it was also a little scary. I can't imagine how "anesthetized" you'd have to be to think it's a good idea to mess with an awake tiger.

~SK
A great description of a very impressive animal. Anyone who messes with one of those predators must be loopy loop.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I would say alcohol would definately be a contributing factor in the guys death. Although there is some controversy surrounding this attack. There is some question as to whether or not the fence was of the required height for keeping the tigers. Personally, I think if some one is dumb or drunk enough to tease an animal then they are asking for trouble, it is too bad he died but if you don't play with fire you don't get burned.