Notices

Old Timer Question?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old Timer Question?

I was just wondering if a person has not drank for years. Do they still grave alcohol?

I have not drank for years and I do not crave it at all. It is, just some things that I have read here makes it sound like cravings never go away in a alcoholic.

Never hurts to ask.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have not had a craving to drink since 89.
I use God and AA to enjoy my sobriety.

Thanks for asking Teresa ...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No - the craving goes away.

There is what is referred to as 'obsession of the mind'

"This time it will be different" - "After a period of time one thinks they can drink like normal people"

I call it just plain insanity if alcohol had ruined your life to the point where you had to quit.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I no longer obsess about alcohol----that inability to think about anything else until the obsession is met.

I have however thought about a drink but it was a fleeting thought as I do have a choice today, to think it through----where does one drink take me? right back into hell-----OR I can act on a thought that I know will pass, which is not something I choose to do today.

I have not experience the obsession since I was less than 3 months sober. For me it took applying the steps of AA.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm not an oldtimer. I don't even have two years yet.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
I'm not an oldtimer. I don't even have two years yet.
lol.......I am not either......I will have 7 years in March God willing...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm doing all I can ... just to be a "TERRIBLE TWO" ...

:rof
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm thankful to report that the cravings left me a couple months after I quit. I stopped drinking on Sept 24,2005. The obsession has also been lifted.

I'm around booze all the time for my work. For the most part, it's invisible for me...I dont' even think about it. On occassion, certain centres of my brain may become stimulated...because of smell, sight etc... Being active in my recovery helps me keep this from going any further.

I can't change the fact that I am an alcoholic, and my brain chemistry is different from other people's. I can accept that I might get the odd drinking thought or dream. I'm glad the cravings and obsession is gone. Usually, I'll banish a drinking thought before it develops into a detailed thought. Letting it develop into a detailed thought is dangerous IMHO...a detailed thought can grow into a fantasy...a fantasy has a potential to develop into a craving. I think many of us know how dangerous a craving can be for an alcoholic.
chip
Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am far from an old timer, I only have 16 months, but the obsession has been gone for quite a while, it was lifted as I was working the steps. My wife asked me a month or so ago if I found out I only had 3 months to live if I would drink again, without even thinking about it I told her "No, I enjoy being sober to much!". That is something at one time I never dreamed I would say honestly.

I have heard a few old timers say they still experience it, but they have also said they have not worked the steps yet! This amazes me, they have stayed sober over 25 years by just going to meetings, yet they still think about wanting a drink. I really am amazed that they have not worked the steps after spending that many years in the rooms hearing other alcoholics share how the obsession was lifted by working the steps.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not an old timer at all just thought I'd contribute anyway. I have just over 2 weeks and I have no cravings and don't think about alcohol. If I see alcohol I have no desire to drink it or think about it. Trouble is that 'craving/obsession' can come back anytime even if only for short periods of time, - thats why I need a daily program to help prevent that.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I no longer want a drink. I no longer consider the drink a refreshment, a tonic or an escape. I no longer consider the absense of a drink in my hand. I no longer mourn or grieve the lack of a drink or the situations I thought demanded a drink. The psychic change finally came when I realizing I was completely full and the daily acceptance of something greater has lifted all illusion that beverage Alcohol is something to be ingested.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been sober since 1987. (through no fault of my own) God took away my obsession after I started working the steps.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank's everyone.

I guess you do not even need to be a old timer to answer that question.

My life was a mess, and one day I just gave up and asked god for help. I did not go to AA. 7 years sober and I do not want to drink. The thought of drinking again makes me ill.

I did not understand the powerless part where an alcoholic has no choice weather he drinks or not. The choice is gone.

All I know is that I can never drink like a social drinker ever.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm coming up on 3 years so I'm no old-timer, but I can definitely say I don't have the cravings or obsession anymore. The thought of drinking does cross my mind now and then though, just a teaser, that brief thought of "maybe I can be a normal drinker" or have just one.

And then the mental slideshow starts playing of my life in alcoholism, and I know once again and without a doubt that I can never drink safely again.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just finally relized that I cannot drink anymore. Even the smallest thought of thinking I can is out of the question. That is the only reason that I have come this far.

I have tryed the control thing to many times. Lets say I have been burnt to many times and I am not jumping in that fire again.

But I can say that this is what worked for me.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am over four years sober, and don't consider myself an old timer, some of my best friends in sobriety have over 20 years, I think they might qualify. lol
Once in a very great while a thought will pass through my mind, I immediately tell myself not to be so daft, and it floats on out again.

Seren
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Have not wanted a drink for many years. Like Zoobear, it stopped after I started working steps. What's an old timer anyway?