Notices

Recovery problems/PAWS. need advice

Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery problems/PAWS. need advice

I was a chronic binge drinker for quite some time. I would go days with nothing and then slam alcohol like it was my job for a few days. I took a work trip to Vegas in February last year and went on quite the binge. I passed out and woke up a few hours later in severe panic, completely disoriented, cognitive difficulties, etc... It took me a few days to feel back to normal. It was a really terrifying time and I didn't quite know what was happening. A few days later I tried a drink and almost instantly, it made me feel the same way. Almost immediate panic, disoriented, dizzy, etc...I became sober that day and I haven't looked back.

Throughout the past 11 months, I've had lots of ups and downs. Periods of feeling almost back to normal. Times of feeling fatigued, having dizzy spells. I should note that during this time I sadly also got similar feelings in response to coffee, but not as bad. I've felt feelings of adrenaline rushes, sweaty hands, in response to things that never gave me these feelings before. I'm also extremely sensitive to supplements. One doctor tried to put me on setraline (SSRI), but just one pill made me feel drastically worse. I'm just so confused as to why I'm still having these issues that almost seem to have gotten worse, not better over time. I've been to several doctors, had every test under the sun and I'm in tip top shape. All my labs, blood work, look great, but I'm feeling worse than before.

I think my sudden withdrawal may have affected my glutamate/gaba balance and my mind just can't find homeostasis. I'm reluctant to get on any other pills because I don't want to replace one addition with another and have a further issue with withdrawal in the future.

Has anyone gone through this before that can offer me a bit of advice? I really feel I've done some irreversible damage and I'm just so sick of not feeling like myself anymore.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry you are having a bad time of it DLS. Out of curiosity, have you spoken with a therapist about anxiety? I had some pretty severe health anxiety and googled/searched for physiological/brain chemistry solutions for the better part of 2 years after quitting. Turns out it was my anxiety causing pretty much all my problems/symptoms. I saw doctors too and tried some meds, bit for the most part they only treat the symptoms, not the real problem.

I would add that cafffeine really sets it off if I consume too much. I am much more aware of my caffeine intake now and limit myself to a cup or two of coffee at the most, and I sometimes drink decaf/half caff.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have indeed gone through this and can relate to your frustration. Some research suggests that periodic binge drinking actually can be harder on your brain and nervous system than more consistent drinking because it's the process of repeated withdrawal cycles that does the damage.

In any case, I never found any magic pill or activity that "cured" me of PAWS-type neurological symptoms. They have gradually ebbed over time (with some ups and downs along the way). As the Serenity Prayer suggests, all I can do is change the things I can while accepting the things I can't. That has meant making adjustments to my attitude and lifestyle so that the symptoms are less intrusive and I'm not so focused on them anymore. It's all in the actions I take, and in how I look at things. Oh, and no caffeine at all for me!

Everyone's different, of course, but at 11 months I had barely begun to experience any relief yet. It was a good 2 years before I began to have more good days than bad ones.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A lot of people here can probably relate to some
of the symptoms you're experiencing. One of the things you can do is to just focus on being in the present. When you feel yourself getting anxious, etc. try focusing on the here and now. Take some deep breaths. You're not alone in this.

Also don't worry that you've caused some permanent damage or something. That's just the anxiety talking, and it will only make it worse.

You can also try doing activities you enjoy to help calm you down. Hope this helps. Keep posting
Old 01-07-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sorry you are having a bad time of it DLS. Out of curiosity, have you spoken with a therapist about anxiety? I had some pretty severe health anxiety and googled/searched for physiological/brain chemistry solutions for the better part of 2 years after quitting. Turns out it was my anxiety causing pretty much all my problems/symptoms. I saw doctors too and tried some meds, bit for the most part they only treat the symptoms, not the real problem.

I would add that cafffeine really sets it off if I consume too much. I am much more aware of my caffeine intake now and limit myself to a cup or two of coffee at the most, and I sometimes drink decaf/half caff.
I have yet to talk to a therapist but may in the future if this persists. Some days are amazing and I feel totally normal. Some days are like withdrawal all over again. I hope in time these imbalances work themselves out. You're likely right in that I'm manifesting some of these things, because I'm sure I do have a level of health anxiety. When it happens it's feels so incredibly physiological, however. Praying for better days ahead. Thank you for the advice!
Old 01-07-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
I have indeed gone through this and can relate to your frustration. Some research suggests that periodic binge drinking actually can be harder on your brain and nervous system than more consistent drinking because it's the process of repeated withdrawal cycles that does the damage.

In any case, I never found any magic pill or activity that "cured" me of PAWS-type neurological symptoms. They have gradually ebbed over time (with some ups and downs along the way). As the Serenity Prayer suggests, all I can do is change the things I can while accepting the things I can't. That has meant making adjustments to my attitude and lifestyle so that the symptoms are less intrusive and I'm not so focused on them anymore. It's all in the actions I take, and in how I look at things. Oh, and no caffeine at all for me!

Everyone's different, of course, but at 11 months I had barely begun to experience any relief yet. It was a good 2 years before I began to have more good days than bad ones.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
This is great advice. Thank you. Since this has happened, I've become very sensitive to any change/new feeling happening. I'm really in tune with my body and it gets quite scary sometimes. I'm going to remain patient with it and keep myself distracted. It's been a hellish year!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found that yoga, trying to eat healthyish and mostly avoiding sugar, and getting some moderate exercise helped my PAWS symptoms.

For me, low blood sugar made things so much worse, so I was careful not to let myself get too hungry. I ate frequent snacks and if I started feeling bad I would try to eat something and drink some water.

I think it's normal for these symptoms to come and go. It can take 6 months to 2 years for things to really balance out. While it is awful to have to go through that time, have hope that you'll probably improve.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dls2041 View Post
I was a chronic binge drinker for quite some time. I would go days with nothing and then slam alcohol like it was my job for a few days. I took a work trip to Vegas in February last year and went on quite the binge. I passed out and woke up a few hours later in severe panic, completely disoriented, cognitive difficulties, etc... It took me a few days to feel back to normal. It was a really terrifying time and I didn't quite know what was happening. A few days later I tried a drink and almost instantly, it made me feel the same way. Almost immediate panic, disoriented, dizzy, etc...I became sober that day and I haven't looked back.

Throughout the past 11 months, I've had lots of ups and downs. Periods of feeling almost back to normal. Times of feeling fatigued, having dizzy spells. I should note that during this time I sadly also got similar feelings in response to coffee, but not as bad. I've felt feelings of adrenaline rushes, sweaty hands, in response to things that never gave me these feelings before. I'm also extremely sensitive to supplements. One doctor tried to put me on setraline (SSRI), but just one pill made me feel drastically worse. I'm just so confused as to why I'm still having these issues that almost seem to have gotten worse, not better over time. I've been to several doctors, had every test under the sun and I'm in tip top shape. All my labs, blood work, look great, but I'm feeling worse than before.

I think my sudden withdrawal may have affected my glutamate/gaba balance and my mind just can't find homeostasis. I'm reluctant to get on any other pills because I don't want to replace one addition with another and have a further issue with withdrawal in the future.

Has anyone gone through this before that can offer me a bit of advice? I really feel I've done some irreversible damage and I'm just so sick of not feeling like myself anymore.
it could be gluten sensitivty or candida build up. we damaged our stomach by binge and can cause leaky gut. that may be the cause. i'm 102 days sober, 1 day a week binger. and im still going through emotions, dizziness, irritaions, cant lift weights. i cut wheat and gluten, now dizziness is a bit gone. im trying to build my gut flora back up by taking probiotics
i hope it helps
Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If it were me having gone fir all the tests and to have multiple doctors tell me I am in good physical condition thstvit has to be psychological. As has been highlighted it does sound like anxiety bordering on panic attacks to me, quite similar to what I had and that turned out to be anxiety.