Notices

Is Vodka the lowest circle of Hell?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Vodka was also my poison of choice for a while... and I agree, it was/is hell. The stuff gets you by the throat and doesn't let go. I'll never forget the night I made the switch from vodka to wine... (was up to a full bottle of Grey Goose per night). I was going through withdrawals even after 8 glasses of wine! The stuff is lethal and I hope never to touch it again.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's all hellish...vodka, drugs, beer, whatever takes you down the path of active addiction. I chose my own bottom, for me it was being broke and worrying about paying my bills and possible getting discovered at work and being fired. The point is, you don't have to find out how low you can go!!! You don't have to...you don't have to...you really don't have to get any lower than you are today, right now. Get help, go to an addictionologist, a detox, an e.r., AA, NA whatever you have to do, call somebody, get help. Let us know how it goes.
kj
Old 05-04-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wet brain. That might be the lowest. Maybe not though, you wouldn't know you're there. If I remember, vodka wasn't too bad chilled.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Icewolf, just read my previous posts , vodka was going to be my death bed , was the final progression that was going to kill this drunk.
Please stay in recovery no matter what the price you have to pay to do so...

Take care,
John
Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My ticket to hell was wine. It doesn't matter what we drink, it will all drag us down.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Actually, it's tequila.

Except there's one circle even lower: being an alcoholic that hasn't fully embraced a program of recovery.

You're not "in recovery" if you keep drinking. Not yet anyway.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IceWolf View Post
I'm in recovery, sometimes I slip. I went from a beer drinker to a heavy beer drinker to a beer drinker who had to slam some. Then came the brandy. Now it's vodka or bust.
I apologize, but I am not going to sugarcoat things for you, IceWolf.
This is not recovery, this is full blown progressive Active alcoholim my friend....

What do you mean , "sometimes you slip"? If you are slipping continually, that is not working a program of recovery. You can't drink and be sober at the same time, Man.

Sounds to me like you still need to go out and do some more research, you haven't hit your bottem yet. Otherwise you wouldn't "slip" anymore.
Please forgive me for being so blunt, but I think you may need to re-evaluate yourself.

I wish you much luck!!!
Peace, Love, and Respect,
Artur
Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with what others have written about untreated alcoholism being the lowest circle of hell. I know for me personally I was facing certain death from organ failure and scared out of my mind of the withdrawals that I started having after going more than 2 or 3 hours without a drink.

Having said that vodka does offer especially hellish memories for me. That is what I had to try and swig as quickly as possible on lunch breaks to stop the shakes. I hated it so bad and mixed it so strong that it would meet itself coming back up as I tried to swig it down. Almost four years sober now and I get almost physically ill at the mere thought of any of it but especially vodka.

For me though the lowest circle of hell was seeing what my drinking was doing to my kids and mom, going to work still drunk, driving my kids to school drunk, getting utilities shut off and eviction notices and telling my kids there was no money to give them clothes or shoes but writing hot checks to make sure I had my booze. It was making horrible choices with men. It was being so deathly sick that I couldn't eat for days. It was buying enough booze to last me through Saturday and Sunday only to wake up on Sunday morning and realize that I had drank it all and would spend the day in withdrawals. It was trying to recover from alcohol poisoning over and over and trying to maintain some sense of dignity. It was swearing every morning that I wasn't going to drink that day, hitting the afternoon and salivating at the thought of 5:00 and getting to the liquor store. I could keep going but I'm sure you get the picture.

Everyone's bottom is different but I hope you find yours soon. Remember your bottom is whenever and wherever you stop digging.

Best wishes,
Kellye
Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The thread was from last year....
IceWolf has not been here since Feb.

Let's hope others will be reading this
and benefit from the replies.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh wow Carol, usually I catch those things but I also believe there are no coincidences. Somebody needs to see this and I know it always helps me to remember how it was so that I do not have to repeat it.

Take care,
Kellye
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

No is is not, the elevator goes down much further than this floor. If you have a desire to not drink and are reading this thread you will notice that the gentleman who started this thread is no longer posting; and you thought you were in bad shape. For more information on misery connected with Alcohol, please consult your friendly neighborhood AA meeting for details.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Tazman.

Taking note of the three big bottoms. Curious about No.1. Can alcohol drive someone insane?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..TheQuixotian

I don't know what the medical professionals
use to diagnose insanity.
Here is an interesting link on the brain and alcohol

Alcohol Chemistry and You

It also discusses other organs affected by alcohol.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

the lowest circle of hell is cheap sulphite pumped cider that smells and tastes of the plastic bottle it is encased in (frosty jacks what they refer to as a 'kettle')and is drunk by the lowest form of wino outside fitzalan square, sheffield city centre, england. simba and joker and aidan and joselyn and the whole gang of alcoholics the lowest circle of hell, the worst is a man called 'london tony' who was run out of london and the only place that will put up with a mixed up charcter like him yet he confronts everyone and mouths off as hes a frustrated uneducated criminal man who claims hes a rasta yet i see no locks and he is the white mans lacky and in reality he is a slave entrapped in the lowest circle of hell, when he does secure some employment to get the welfare people off his back his back breaking labour barely covers his drink habit
Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Heroin and crack to me are the lowest circle of hell.

The lowest liquid circle is cheap brown liquor. The thought of that smell, and worse tasting it the next day while in withdrawal...
Old 01-01-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The undead thread... I somehow feel compelled to comment on any thread that centers around vodka. In one of his books, Bret Easton Ellis talks about how he once had to drink his vodka frozen or in chilled form, but how, over time, this became too much work, probably because of the inconvenience of chilling down a handle that you just bought at the liquor store (why isn't vodka kept in the freezer section?). Hence, he started to just drink it warm and, over time, came to prefer it that way because he could actually taste the alcohol even more intensely that way. Well, at the end, I was still chilling mine, but was going through so much volume that it became hard to stay stocked up at home. Just some obsessive vodka thoughts...
Old 01-01-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR adnanrehman

D
Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eaglelizard View Post
The undead thread... I somehow feel compelled to comment on any thread that centers around vodka. In one of his books, Bret Easton Ellis talks about how he once had to drink his vodka frozen or in chilled form, but how, over time, this became too much work, probably because of the inconvenience of chilling down a handle that you just bought at the liquor store (why isn't vodka kept in the freezer section?). Hence, he started to just drink it warm and, over time, came to prefer it that way because he could actually taste the alcohol even more intensely that way. Well, at the end, I was still chilling mine, but was going through so much volume that it became hard to stay stocked up at home. Just some obsessive vodka thoughts...
my husband stopped buying white liquor because I'd mix gin or vodka into diet soda all day on every workday I had off, until it was just gone, white liquor never lasted more than a day and a half in my house. So he'd buy whisky or bourbon, but when my beers or hard seltzers ran out after 12 units or so in a few hours, I'd start in on anything, so i developed a taste for whisky...then he started buying the really expensive stuff, and I'd clean that out too, even his $40 bottles of wine were never safe around me.

I was weird in that I never believed I'd drink more than 12 trulys or beers and I never bought anything stronger. I didn't believe I'd keep drinking. I always did, though. The house was stocked. And I'd keep drinking for days. And they would stretch out into horrible half lived, half remembered eerie snippets of episodes lasting days and nights, all remembered moments of just utter despair, and the blackest existence of all when I would come to...when I would begin to sober up. A dark, death like existence.

When I quit I picked up every bottle and every bar glass and the wine rack and the bar tools and buried them in the back of the cabinets in the garage and frantically told my husband to never put alcohol in front of my face again, it was killing me, destroying me, and I would leave him in a heartbeat if alcohol in the home got in the way of my lasting sobriety, I saw a glimmer of a new life and no way was I letting it slip through my fingers.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, Sassy. Your words ring very true for me, too. Your words hit me in my thinkers tonight.
I hope you are doing well and strong. Thanks for being here tonight.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Thanks for the post, Sassy. Your words ring very true for me, too. Your words hit me in my thinkers tonight.
I hope you are doing well and strong. Thanks for being here tonight.
I'm having a hard time but it's a hard sober time, and I'm always grateful for that, and the above post just kind of got away from me for a minute, just reflecting on things tonight.