Notices

Lucky 13th?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Lucky 13th?

Well, today, 1/13/08, makes my 7th day straight of sobriety. Seven is usually lucky right..? Along the same lines I have been sober 21 out of the past 28 days. However, the 15 days sober before the last week I drank I did not feel the same. It may have been a good quantity of time, relatively speaking, without the bottle, but it certainly was not quality time. Reason being I was sober, but I hadn't made any decisions to change my ways of life. I was bitter, hateful, resentful and downright angry at God for not helping me. I expected God to just jump in and miraculously cure me without having to exert any effort on my part. After all, he is God. Well, this past week I had an experience after reading through step 3, and this time I feel different, unlike I've felt the last 15 days I quit, or any time I have quit before and I made the decision to turn my will and life over to God. The days since I have done this, I have felt free and as if a burden has been lifted. My fear is that this may be the calm before the storm. Yesterday I had decided to take a personal inventory, but didn't and am still not sure exactly how to do it and be thorough. In my rough draft that I had written down, it was very evident that pride is the major issue in my life. Well I came home yesterday after work and read the exerpt for the day in my daily guideposts, and as luck would have it, it was about pride. I got off work this morning, beginning to feel scared that this is the calm before the storm. I drove home and turned down my road, and at the store on the corner there was a big sign saying we now sell beer and wine. I live in an area where you have to drive 30+ minutes to get any alcohol. I thought to myself....this is just what I need now.....when I have decided to really do this....I waited to feel that craving, that obsession, but nothing happened. I didn't feel anything......I'm still scared that this may be the calm before the storm.....I just came in the house and picked up my daily guideposts and read the passage for the day......guess what.....it was about fear. The story in this one was about a proud grandfather of his 21 month old grandson learning his first bible verse.....as the son of the grandfather listened on the other line, very skeptical that a 21 month old could say anything more complicated than asking for a cookie, the grandfather prompted the kid by saying "Be not- and the little boy in his small voice said "Fwaid"......"Be not afraid" What a wonderful first lesson for a small child or an alcoholic looking for sobriety and experiencing fear to trust a loving and caring God......The thought for the day was that through God, all things are possible, even a toddler's memory verse.

Just thought I would share. Although the obsession/craving has not come back yet, I am still scared that I may not know what to do if and when the obsession/craving comes back eventhough I have put my trust in powers greater than myself. Does anyone have any additional tips and words of advice for me so I can do this this time? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today, make a decision that you are full of booze; just for today. Go to a meeting, get to a movie, live and enjoy your freedom. Turning over your life to a greater power is awesome, yet you are responsible for what needs to happen today. Today is for living since you are no longer a prisoner to Alcohol.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 7 days. The reading is great isn't it? I too always find something I can say wow!

It scares me too worrying if I will be an AA retread as I have heard it referred to. I was never one of those people during all my other relapses because I didn't go to meetings, I didn't try, I wasn't ready. Now I am.

I sat at a meeting two nights ago listening to people talk about relapsing after having years of sobriety in the program. That is a hard message to swallow, and can be very disheartening. The saving grace is they knew the only thing that would get them back on track is to come through those doors. One woman was only able to do this by avoiding her home meeting because of the shame admitting she relapsed. so she went geographic. But at least she went.

I have 8 days today and dreamt last night that I relapsed. I was very grateful it was just a dream.

Just take it one day at a time and remember all the terrible things that have happened while drinking.

I went into a pet shop on Thursday night to buy my son some water turtles, and to my horror the man behind the counter asked me if I go to the liquor store up the street. I couldn't breath. I said I had been there a few times, he said he saw me, he probably even spoke to me, but I don't remember. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I'm tired of people remembering me as the drunk chick. People coming up to me wherever and saying hey, remember me from the bar? I don't remember anyone.

Maybe god put that "now selling beer and wine" at the store to remind you of what you don't want every time you drive by.

Obsessions or not, we have a choice. If we make a conscious decision to choose sobriety, then we have won half the battle.

Every time I relapsed, I chose to do it, I convinced myself I deserved it. Now I obsess over choosing sobriety and I will be damned if anything gets in the way.

Every day I wake up, I remember how important it is to me to stay sober. The day seems long learning how to for the first time live sober, but each day is a miraculous accomplishment.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

redstuff I assume you are doing the steps with a sponsor, because they were never intended to be done without one. Read tep 5 and ask your self who the "another human being" might be? I can attest that I did all 12 steps by myself and continued to drink because I was not taken through them by someone who knew what being sober was

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Are you aware of H.A.L.T.?

Each time I relapsed at least 2 elements were present.
Don't allow yourself to become too
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

When and if you again find mental obcession pops up
Pray it away!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
redstuff I assume you are doing the steps with a sponsor, because they were never intended to be done without one. Read tep 5 and ask your self who the "another human being" might be? I can attest that I did all 12 steps by myself and continued to drink because I was not taken through them by someone who knew what being sober was
I haven't found a sponsor yet, but am looking for one.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes Carol so true do not be hungry.

There was many a day I would purposly NOT eat to intensify the high of alcohol, and I would end up being s smashed I wouldnt even eat at all. Those were the worst days of my drinking. Something bad always seemed to happen.

Lonely is a tough one because for myself, I isolated so well for so many years I don't even know what lonely feels like. I need to learn to not isolate so much, and meetings are helping with that.

So red, carol gave some good advice there, trust me.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

redstuff the best way to start off is to ask someone to be your temporary sponsor, that is the way a lot of folks start off. Asking someone to be your temporary sponsor basically leaves both of you with a very easy way out if things are not going well.

A temporary sponsor made a huge difference for me, he kept me sober long enough to get my sponsor I have now. He helped me find my sponsor.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

redstuff the best way to start off is to ask someone to be your temporary sponsor, that is the way a lot of folks start off. Asking someone to be your temporary sponsor basically leaves both of you with a very easy way out if things are not going well.

A temporary sponsor made a huge difference for me, he kept me sober long enough to get my sponsor I have now. He helped me find my sponsor.

Anyone know a good temporary or permanent sponsor prospect?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Anyone know a good temporary or permanent sponsor prospect?
Best place to find one is in a meeting! LOL
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Question

Thanks Taz. I know....gotta wait till thurs though. Could I ask this forum to be my temporary sponsor till then??
Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have a feeling that is what is happening!!! LOL

Oaky as a part of your temporary sponsorship team I highly reccommend when you go to that meeting, get there about 15 minutes early and talk to who ever is there setting up/making coffee. Just say "Hi I am redstuff and this is my first meeting." Let everything flow from there, beleive it or not you may have just spoke the first words ever to a friend for life!!!!

Suggestion #2, get some phone numbers if they don't stick them in your hands before you ask. Now I will tell you this, if someone gives you thier phone number it is for one reason and one reason only! It is because they would love for you to call them!!! You see when you call them you are helping them stay sober.

Read the "Doctors Opinion".

Hugs!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a feeling that is what is happening!!! LOL

Oaky as a part of your temporary sponsorship team I highly reccommend when you go to that meeting, get there about 15 minutes early and talk to who ever is there setting up/making coffee. Just say "Hi I am redstuff and this is my first meeting." Let everything flow from there, beleive it or not you may have just spoke the first words ever to a friend for life!!!!

Suggestion #2, get some phone numbers if they don't stick them in your hands before you ask. Now I will tell you this, if someone gives you thier phone number it is for one reason and one reason only! It is because they would love for you to call them!!! You see when you call them you are helping them stay sober.

Read the "Doctors Opinion".

Hugs!
Thanks, I got a feeling if I say "Hi I'm redstuff....." that would probably break the ice and result in spontaneous laughter. Perhaps I'll use my real name......This will likely be the first time I've never had trouble getting phone numbers. Sure would have been nice to receive the same reaction when I was going to the bar looking for a date. Probably a good reason why I am here now

Where is this "Doctors Opinion"?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redstuff View Post
Thanks, I got a feeling if I say "Hi I'm redstuff....." that would probably break the ice and result in spontaneous laughter. Perhaps I'll use my real name......This will likely be the first time I've never had trouble getting phone numbers. Sure would have been nice to receive the same reaction when I was going to the bar looking for a date. Probably a good reason why I am here now

Where is this "Doctors Opinion"?
In your Big Book. If you are reading a first edition, it would be page one.

In the current edition (4th) - it comes after the Foreward to the Fourth edition. I don't know the exact roman numeral off the top of my head. But the chapter is titled "The Doctor's Opinion".

If you have any questions, post em up here or PM me. I am pretty familiar with it.

~A
Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Oh yea another thing in regards to phone numbers, get numbers of your own gender!

In the first year of sobriety relationships are not a very good idea, for many of us it takes about a year for us to really get our heads screwed back on straight! LOL

Unless something is a major trigger for drinking one should avoid major changes of any type in the first year of sobriety.

Ones primary focus for the first year should be recovery. Recovery is not easy, but the rewards of it are life giving and well worth it.

For right now focus on your sobriety and finding support from those of the same gender. I have heard that many women in the program have a difficult time in learning to trust other women, but this is crucial. Us men are pretty dumb, we trust darn near anyone, especially when we are drinking or we trust no one!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have personally witnessed many men taking women through the steps and women taking men through the steps. I have seen these people recover.

Why limit ourselves to 1/2 of the population available?

I cannot tie the gender issue, or relationship issue back to the text....
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I will probably do best in recovery with someone of the same gender. What would be considered "major changes"?