Notices

Sober since Christmas eve

Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Sober since Christmas eve

Well, it's the weekend once again. I remembered that I haven't had a drink since Christmas eve. I haven't even taken my antabuse since Tuesday. So I'm doing well. December 24th already seems like such a long time ago!

I wasn't recently a day-to-day alcoholic anyway. I'd just drink a 40 each day from Friday-Sunday. So my cravings are only on those days. And my cravings are only mild, because I recently remembered that I usually end up too drunk by myself and also lonely. The same feelings occur when I smoke some weed, because most of my peers (mid-20s) don't do that anymore. My weekend cravings for weed are sometimes unbearable, but I just stay up late on the weekends and drink soda. My goal is to stay sober until mid-June.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

whats happening in Mid June?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In mid-June, I would be getting out of a six-month rehab. I haven't started it yet, but I think a bed will open up soon.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

SM1

I went to a 6 month program, it was hard at times, but it was worth it. just be careful. I think the problem with those of us who binge anything is we have this mentality we can go back getting sober in a few days and resume normal life. However we are putting our lives in major danger each time we go out cuz we go all the way out.

Keep on stopping by and welcome! Sheila
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am confused, why go to rehab to stop drinking if you plan on continuing to drink?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why have you stopped taking your Antabuse? I am taking Anatabuse & have been tempted to "skip a few day" just because I feel like I don't need it. But I have decided to take it for 1 year. I have tried EVERYTHING to stay sober and find this medication is a excellant tool in achieving that goal.

Tiburon
Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Superman1

Congrats on your sober time. I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope you'll keep focused on your goal during the hard times, and don't give in to temptation. Have you spoken to your doctor about giving up the meds? For some of us, the times when we "feel good" are as dangerous at the times when we "feel bad". Do you have support with your family and friends?

This is a great place for support. I'm glad you found us.
chip
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

nandm- I haven't drank since December 24th. I don't want to drink; my real problem is weed.

tiburon- Yeah, I just feel like I don't need it every day. I should only take it 3 times per week, and I've already taken it 3 times this week.

chip- I actually don't have any support from my family. I understand how you say that "feeling good" is as dangerous as "feeling bad". But when I do feel bad, I just relax and look forward to a new day.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

i would have to agree some of the bad times are when you feel good. that **** will get you sometimes because you are having a good time and you think it is ok to have a drink or puff. Next think you know you are turning tricks for drugs.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome to SR superman
Old 01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by superman1 View Post
My goal is to stay sober until mid-June.
?

strange
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by superman1 View Post
nandm- I haven't drank since December 24th. I don't want to drink; my real problem is weed..
Thank you, I understand now, you are wanting help until you can get into the rehab. That makes sense.

My experience with drugs is limited as drugs only interferred with my drinking so I rarely tried them. But I am sure there a people here who would have some experience to share with you. I would suggest trying Narcotics Anonymous. It works for a lot of people. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In my opinion, you are lucky if weed is your biggest worry. MJ would be the last of my worries. Everyone is different though. I do not smoke often but for me, when I do smoke, it sparks ambition from within and makes me focus on important things in my reality. I don't think it does that for most people but I've learned in moderation that is has not harmed me in any way and I tend to appreciate things a little more (even days/months after). I actually wrote down a list of realistic priorities last time I smoked (some of the goals were very high, one of which NOT DRINKING) and I have continued to work on the list since. I've never had an addiction to mj though so it's quite easy for me to go 6 months at a time without touching it. I'm sure my experience doesn't apply to daily smokers.

What kinds of problems is smoking weed causing you? Have you

Alcohol is the real problem.
No good comes of it. It makes me miserable, it makes me lazy, anti-social, panic attacks, helplessness, lack of nutrition... and the list goes on.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My goal is to stay sober until mid-June.
For me the easiest way to stay sober is to just stay sober today, 6 months for me is an eternity, I can handle today and will stick with that, it has worked one day at a time for 16 months.

You mention being alone and lonely, man that is where alcohol took me and is a dangerous place for me today, I found in early sobriety that HALT was a huge help.

Avoid being:

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Going to AA takes care of the A & L, the H & T is pretty easy.