Notices

Never Posted Here Before

Old 01-11-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never Posted Here Before

I am an alcoholic....I'm sure of it. I don't drink much and therefore try to justify it, but I am. When I get that buzz from the alcohol it makes me then go and do other things -- like seek drugs.

I've only posted on a few other sites, mainly the substance abuse site, but I think I'm going to post in all the area's I have problems....this way I can get the benefit of learning from alot of people.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Almost Never

Alcohol used to lead into drugs for me as well. But luckily for me, I never got hooked on any... a weird thing to say, maybe, since alcohol is my drug.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

My sponsor, an AA member, rarely drank much, but most every time she did, she ended up with a needle in her arm. She therefore concluded that she was powerless over alcohol -- that she could not predict what would happen once she picked up a drink.

I'm glad to see you here, Tina.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Moving On...

I've been following your story in Substance
and I am glad you joined us here in Alcoholism.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One beer today. Still makes me an alcoholic!

I don't like the taste -- i just want to take the edge off.

Still and alcoholic!!!

Twelve step group tomorrow -- step 4. I'm going through it but I am not really sure I have steps 1-3 down.

I think this recovery is something I MUST want more than anything. It's all connected with emotions, crazy thinking, genetic.......I don't know.

I don't think I can ever manage it -- do you? I mean it never controlled my life in the past but the last 5 years all hell has broken loose and I can't get control of any area. I have many happy moments with family and friends but when I'm alone it's a very sad and lonely time.

It's very nice to be able to talk about it.

Tina
Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

"One beer" helped me finally admit that I am powerless over alcohol. That happened 1/2/08. My sobriety date is 1/3/08. No more lying to myself--this disease is out to kill me. Glad you are here! Welcome to this forum.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Moving On:

When I first arrived in AA I did not realize that I had drug issues also. I used lots of Black Beauties, Cocaine, and meth to allow me to drink more!!!

I applaud you for your understanding of yourself!!

Your are definitely on the correct path for you.

You have decided you are an alcoholic, do not let anyhone deter you, only you can make that decision.

Congrats on your recovery!!!!!! It's a LONG JOURNEY, but I can personally attest to its getting BETTER AND BETTER.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Moving On

it seems you are going to live up to your user name Tina
Good for you!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Twelve step group tomorrow -- step 4. I'm going through it but I am not really sure I have steps 1-3 down.
Tina if I am wrong forgive me, but that leads me to beleive you are not working the steps with a sponsor. The steps are in order for a reason, step one is the most crucial one imho, because the second one begins to feel they may not be powerless over alcohol is when they are starting one the path to another drink and what ever that leads them to.

Step one has to be nailed before even moving one to step 2, and one must have a good solid grasp on 2 before proceeding to 3. One must be on solid ground with step 3 before they can even dream of working on step 4. In the BB right after completing step 3 it says:

Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision was vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.
Step 4 to be done properly is highly dependent upon step 3. If you do not have a sponsor at least get a temporary one and start working the steps with them. If you do have a sponsor then you need to make her aware that you are not on solid ground with the first three steps.

Read step 5, this is the step which pretty much lets one know that the steps can not be worked alone.