Notices

The monk and the scorpion.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The monk and the scorpion.

A story I heard reminded me of service work. If you have heard it and I say it wrong, please forgive me.

There was a scorpion on a river rock at a river bank. The river began to rise and before the scorpion realized it, the scorpion was surrounded by water. At this point a monk walked by and saw the scorpions trouble. Eventually the water was going to cover the rock and wash away the scorpion killing it.

The monk reached toward the scorpion and the scorpion tried to sting him. He attempted this over and over, and the scorpion repeated it's actions by trying to sting him.

By now a crowd was forming and watching the monk continuing to attempt to rescue the scorpion who was continually attempting to sting him. Finally someone in the crowd approached the monk and said, "It appears that the scorpion will always attempt to sting you when you reach for it." The monk replied, "I know that is what it is supposed to do". The man asked the monk, "Then why on earth do you still do everything you can to get that scorpion off that rock?"

The monk looked at the man and said, "Because that's what I'm supposed to do."

Now grant it, if there is a person who is suffering from alcoholism and they don't want your help, we have to accept that. However, if that person knows that you are there for them, and you pray for him, you are still doing your best to help the scorpion off that rock.

Because that's we are supposed to do. It's also is the foundation of recovery in AA. One former scorpion, now a monk, helping another scorpion, by the grace of God may one day see the way of the monk.

I am responsible...

Tom
Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lurker

Thanks Tom. That is a great analogy.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Has me remember the sting of my own tongue and how someone from AA looked beyond my sting and still offered their hand in love and friendship.
Seems they knew what could be if I could find the answers.

A few years down the road from then...I was able to tell Jim that his friendship, love and sharing were the reason why I found my answers.
What a smile of joy sat on his face. A humble smile of joy.
I will never forget that smile.

Once again I say...Thank you Jim.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I loved it Thank's
Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a good story. At one point in time we are all the monk and all the scorpion.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks Tom, the program in a nutshell.