Notices

isnt it funny

Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

isnt it funny

The reasons you tell yourself and others why you drink or dont.

I only socialize with my friends whilst im at the pub/bar.
AHHH go on its his/her... birthday/wedding/divorce
Im not addicted i just enjoy a drink.
Ive started drinking vodka because beer is making me fat.
Im only having a couple! (ends up as 12)
its my one pleasure.
Im not drinking tonight im driving... somhow the car stays in the carpark and you end up walking/taxi home. or worse driving!!
Im not drinking much tonight ive got to be up in the morning! one leads to two...two leads to 12..... then you miss your alarm :'(

Excuses you make whilst drunk/sober in the morning

I only puked because of the dodgy kebab i had!
Im not drunk im just happy
I cant remember!!
I LOVE YOOOOUUUUUUU!
No comment!
I couldnt get to work... the dodgy kebab i had last night got stuck in my car exhaust and my car wouldnt start :S
Im sorry.

Feel free to add your own

I drink to much i know i do... but i always have some sort of excuse!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1. I drank because it was Tuesday
2. I drank because the sun was shinning
3. I drank because it was Wednesday
4. I drank because life is good
5. I drank because life was bad
6. I drank cause I wanted to

I don't drink now, because all of the above drinking killed me.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

missed a word dang it

I meant to say drinking about killed me. I am not dead yet.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you'd have carried on im sure it would have killed the person you are today!

Great respect..

beer + burger
Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, beerburger

Thanks for starting this thread. I had some pretty interesting excuses myself. I liked to joke about it and say things like "this is my second favorite beer...my favorite is always the NEXT one!"

On a serious note, this disease kills people. Alcoholism is a disease, and it always gets worse as long as a person continues to drink. In my own life, I saw the progressive nature of my alcoholism. I believe that if I didn't quit, I'd eventually end up dead or in an institution of some sort (jail or asylum).

For me, the bottom line is that I drank the way I drank because I'm an alcoholic. The root cause of my problem is:

1) An allergy of the body.

- Once I have alcohol in my system, the "reaction" is powerful cravings for more and more... One turns into 12. I can fight the cravings, but I don't enjoy myself when I do. When I don't fight the cravings, I have no guarentee how much I will drink or what will happen.

In recovery, I don't drink at all. This relieves me of this terrible "allergic" reaction.

2) An obsession of the mind.
When I wasn't drinking, all I thought about was drinking. In recovery, this has been lifted....it took some time, but this has gone away. Many days, I don't even think about it at all :-)
--------------------------------

Lots of people drink too much. When this drinking starts to ruin our lives, some of us realize that we are suffering from a disease. There are soulutions available, and many of us find that we don't have to be alone in our struggle. Some of us reach out for help.

If your drinking starts to cause problems in your life, I hope you can find a solution that works for you. If you need support, this is a great website to find it.
peace,
chip
Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by chip View Post
Welcome to SR, beerburger

Thanks for starting this thread. I had some pretty interesting excuses myself. I liked to joke about it and say things like "this is my second favorite beer...my favorite is always the NEXT one!"

On a serious note, this disease kills people. Alcoholism is a disease, and it always gets worse as long as a person continues to drink. In my own life, I saw the progressive nature of my alcoholism. I believe that if I didn't quit, I'd eventually end up dead or in an institution of some sort (jail or asylum).

For me, the bottom line is that I drank the way I drank because I'm an alcoholic. The root cause of my problem is:

1) An allergy of the body.

- Once I have alcohol in my system, the "reaction" is powerful cravings for more and more... One turns into 12. I can fight the cravings, but I don't enjoy myself when I do. When I don't fight the cravings, I have no guarentee how much I will drink or what will happen.

In recovery, I don't drink at all. This relieves me of this terrible "allergic" reaction.

2) An obsession of the mind.
When I wasn't drinking, all I thought about was drinking. In recovery, this has been lifted....it took some time, but this has gone away. Many days, I don't even think about it at all :-)
--------------------------------

Lots of people drink too much. When this drinking starts to ruin our lives, some of us realize that we are suffering from a disease. There are soulutions available, and many of us find that we don't have to be alone in our struggle. Some of us reach out for help.

If your drinking starts to cause problems in your life, I hope you can find a solution that works for you. If you need support, this is a great website to find it.
peace,
chip
Perfect! Thanks Chip!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank because i woke up. (could'nt stay passed out) 5 days sober so far...
Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job John, have you snagged a temporary sponsor yet?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I still have trouble rationalizing all the money I pissed away (literally) and the crappy feelings I'd have and all the crap and no matter what, I'd have a beer in hand. In the pool, mowing the lawn, playing a game with the kid, falling asleep (spilled quite a few), even DURING the quality time with the better half....

What a joke I was... except the joke wasn't really that funny.

It's actually been tough these past few weeks. But it's better too.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
1. I drank because it was Tuesday

That was one of my favorite reasons to drink (because it was Tuesday - of all nights).

I would tell everyone "Hey, nobody parties on Tuesday's! All the more reason for us to have a good time, worry about tomorrow, tomorrow."

Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One of my main excuses was...

" I am a drunk, this is what drunks do "

My mind was stuck in the " It's not my fault, I was born this way ".

My life time goal was not to be a drunk in life. It took a long time to get it through my thick head that I can never drink social. So, I don't even try any more. And yes, if I ever drink again, I feel it would be my fault because I know better.

I had to get off the excuse wagon to get better. I know some might disagree with me but thats how I did it. I am 47, been in jail, detox, long term treatment, homeless, lost my family, lost my drivers license. And I have not had a drink in 7 years. So, I have been there done that.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
One of my main excuses was...

" I am a drunk, this is what drunks do "

My mind was stuck in the " It's not my fault, I was born this way ".

yeah, I used to say to some of my close friends (not in a bragging way at all but as a fact) that I knew I was an alcoholic. But I didn't know what it meant really. I knew I drank 10x what most others did, but it was just who I was... a part of me. I couldn't fathom that I was sick with the disease. I didn't even look for a cure. It just was who I was. I think that's part of the sickness.... if you just don't sober up long enough to even think, you don't need a reason to keep drinking... you drink to drink....

How whacked is that.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was court ordered to long term treatment when I was 22. It was either that or jail. After I was there for a week. I thought jail was easer to deal with. I was there for 7 months. I seen girls leave after 90 days. I was begging to get out of there. I asked them why I had to stay so long. She said they seen hope in me. And the ones that they could not get through to, they let them go. I only made it a year after I left.

I spent years trying to prove that I was not a drunk. DENIAL

After going to jail a few more times. I said to myself What is rock bottom if jail wasn't it. I drank until I was sick. I could not even hold down a drink to take the shakes away.

I just gave up and excepted the fact I cannot control my drinking.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See, I drank cause I wanted to. 7AM, barf dripping down my chin, awful half memories of what happened last night, already drunk every night for a week, (ex) wife screaming her head off, no matter.

See, it's you people who invent(ed) reasons to drink that have a problem. You all probably belong in AA or something.

Nothing wrong with me.....
Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"If you had my problems you would drink to"

"Poor me, everyone hates me, everyone is out to get one over on me."

"God must hate me, to make me drink like this"

Me, me, me, me me. BLAHHH!!!

Looking back on things I used to say, I actually find humorous.

Tom
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Lurker

I am not an alcoholic! I am a drunk. That way I do not have to go to all those meetings. That used to be one of my favorite sayings. Now I just go to the meetings.