Notices

detox from beer?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
rock drummer

If you try to tapering down you will not stop. It like putting a kid in the candy store. You setting your self. You got to do this all the way or nothing. Everyone body effect them diffrently . So each to their own. You got to deside, Everyone act diffrent when coming off of drugs and drinks. Don,t fool yourself and think that you will stop if you still doing it a little bit. I don,t know many little bit drinker.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was doing well with it. 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, then 6, 8, 12, so I realized weaning was not the path. I have anxiety problems so I knew going off completely would be tough on my nerves so I'm hoping this med will assist in that. everything I have read seems to show that it will.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was doing well with it. 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, then 6, 8, 12, so I realized weaning was not the path.
Chronos I almost spit coffee on my screen when I read that!!!! SOunds very similar to when I would try to taper off!!! LOL
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

lol!

it's sad because I was doing so good and feeling I am going to do this....and then back up again...ugh. tragic.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
rock drummer

yea, it happen to the best of us, but your playing with fire and your going to get burnt playing with it real bad.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have been able to tapper off from about the same amount (8 to 10 beers) and had very minimal withdrawl. I'm also on High blood pressure medication as well as Anxiety medication and didn't need anything else. I would check my own blood pressure and it remained in control for the most part.

The only thing that sucked was not being able to sleep too well, it took me forever to fall asleep and when I did I would have very vivid dreams. This lasted for about a week after I was completely off the beer.

The way I tappered was to allow myself a 6 pack for about 3 days, then 5 for another 3 days, 4 for 3 days, etc.. Shure it took me about 2 weeks to be completely off but I stuck by it and have been sober now since July '07

I think most people on here are against tappering because in general most people aren't strong enough to stick to the tappering. I would say it worked well for me and I had done it in the past and lasted up 6 months sober. The real hard part is staying sober. For me, it was a bit too easy to quit so after 6 months I said I'll drink in moderation and if it becomes a problem I'll just tapper off again. Well, it did become a problem again and I did it again and have been off for about 6 months now..

Good luck, YES you can tapper safely if you have enough will power
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Macphisto congrats on the 6 months and I must say you are one of the few that successfully tapered off, my hat is off to you on that, I just always would wind up thinking, "Well I will just have one more today...." and I was right back to where I had started in no time.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

that is great to hear Macphisto!

I took my librium last night and started my first night w/out any beer. it was tough to pop the first pill (I'm not one to drink when taking meds like this) so for the next 10 days I'm on these pills and will see if I can do it myself or find myself needing AA.

bp is a little elevated today but I feel i'm just stressed from work more than anything.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You can do it Chrono.. No matter how you do it just man up and decide you're doing it and just do it... I'm not too big on people who cry that they just "can't" do it.. I think it's a cop out in a way..

I know that for me it was tough to leave but only because I usually have a good time when I drink. I like the feeling of being buzzed and I wasn't willing to give that up. Once I realized that it was ruining my life I decided that that good buzzed feeling just wasn't worth it and it was fairly easy to stop. I'm confident I'll stay on the wagon because I know I can never drink again..

good luck
Old 01-18-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 4, going strong!

wow did I ever want one yesterday at 5pm though. ugh.