Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Don't know if I did the "right" thing, but I'm pretty damn proud of myself!!

Notices

Don't know if I did the "right" thing, but I'm pretty damn proud of myself!!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

PS..Just WHO are the Pats?
LOL Obviously you are not a football fan!!!! Probably the best team going this year, but it really is not earth shattering that you don't know or really care! LOL

The Skins will rule....... Next year!!! LOL
Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treasure2Find View Post

Hey Zoo the guy feels great. You said you would read it, why dont you? The BB also says something about not starting out as an evangelist or reformer, what part of that do you need to read again. The guy had a good time without booze why would you try and take that away? Because you think he is fooling himself, where did your best thinking get you and you want to pass that on?

All Good Things,
Sorry I kept it so short and to the point the other day, I was on my way out the door when I wrote it.
I worry that sometimes we kill each other with kindness instead of speaking the truth. I am very proud of the fact that someone is able to go 3 days without taking a drink. However, hanging out with your drinking buddies and telling yourself how much you dont miss it is the road to destruction.
I agree with you that I need to read the Big Book. I cant seem to get enough of it no matter how many times I read it, I learn something new every time! The answers are all in there.
I hope I dont come across as a reformer, because Im not. Im also not just starting out. By the Grace of God and people like you to help me I have put together several 24 hours.
Hope I didnt offend anyone. I wish you well!:ghug
Old 01-07-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Going to a party on the 4th day? Man, you are asking for trouble! Be careful! Think of where you were before. This is a very important thing going on right now.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for your responses I shall take them all into consideration. I guess what I want out of all of this is to live in a dream world. I don't want my lifestyle to change (i.e. staying out all night, being involved with the party life) and also keep the same friends. But at the same time I want to do it all without drinking. I can't afford to loose my friends that's really all I got going for me. You can say to look elsewhere, meet new people, do this and do that. But it's not so easy at my age to find sober friends, no offense to anyone older than me, but in order to have sober friends I'm looking at hanging out with people in their 30's or even 40's. That to me does not sound very appealing at all. Being in my early 20's it's nearly impossible to find friends who don't drink, do drugs or other such activities. I'm sure as hell not staying home during the weekends as that is my only free time to get out. I sit at home during the week and that is boring as it is. The only way for me to advance and learn what sober life is like, was to throw myself into the belly of the beast and just do it. It wouldn't have been any different for me to wait a couple weeks and lay low, then decide to go out. Why not do it in the early stages where the cravings are going to be far worse. Like I have stated before I have absolutely no problem with getting stoned, I prefer it over drinking anyways. I guess you can say I'm fighting one addiction with another or what not, but marijuana is by no means physically addicting. You can make a case of it being mentally addicting, but i'll argue that case into the ground.

I'm not having my life taken away from me because I was an alcoholic, i'm taking the alcoholic away from my life. Change is great, but at the same time that doesn't mean it is necessary to drastically change your lifestyle. I understand I suffer from the consequences of my own actions, I also understand that if I pick up a drink I'm putting myself back on path to where I recently ended up. All i can do as a person is to watch over myself and make well thought out decisions. I can't allow others to judge me as a person, that is not their responsibility nor their right.

I'm sorry for my rant, I'm quite cranky today as day 5 is similar to day 2...but i've put the feelings on the back burner, and have told myself to suck it up and deal with it, I've done this to myself.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You have a right to do what ever you want and I do wish you the best. Keep in mind if you find out you can’t do it own your own there are young peoples meetings out there and that may be a good place to start meeting sober friends your own age.

All Good Things,
Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I commend you for being able to stay sober at a drinking party, I know I wouldn't have been able to and wouldn't have tried. I'm 23 and relegated to hanging out with sober 30 and 40 year olds and I'll tell you, these people are really different. They do some crazy stuff....they treat me with respect, don't try to use me for my money, don't steal my ****, and genuinely care about me. I'll tell ya, it's a pain in the butt having real friends who don't mind me telling them how I am feeling. My old drinking buddies never cared how I was doing, and if I told them about my emotions they didn't care.

For me, getting stoned was just another escape. I drank and used drugs because I just didn't want to feel the emotions anymore. I actually have said to myself "I JUST DON'T WANT TO FEEL THIS ANYMORE!" This was always a good excuse to get wasted.

It's hard dealing with emotions sober, and I don't have any practice doing it because I never have tried. This is where my support group comes into play. I am able to learn how to live and deal with emotions sober. I will say that at times I don't like it. In fact there are times when I want to drink and use more than anything because it's all I know. It's a part of my life. The majority of the time I really like being sober. Sobriety is not easy, if it were places like AA and rehabs would not exist. It's work, and it is hard, but it isn't nearly as difficult as living like a maniac and trying to cover my path of destruction when I was drinking.

There is a way out of having to use any substance to escape, and while it's not easy it sure feels pretty darn good to know I am not a slave to ANY drink or drug if I don't want to be. I do realize I am just a random dude from the internet, but I have gone through absolute hell and I never thought I would be sober (or even alive) today. I almost have to pinch myself when I say that: "I am sober"....... I never would have imagined. It can be done, just be careful and realize that you may have to make some changes if you want to be sober.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hey we have a 15 year old in the rooms and a ton of folks in their teens and early 20's! They have a blast doing things together sober!!!!

There are a lot of alcoholics that stay sober using the Mary Jane maintenance program, we have a ton of them in the rooms of AA today that had one of 2 things happen, either the burnt out on smoking dope or staying stoned just did not cut it any more so they went back to drinking and then into AA.

Many of us had to finish our stories by smoking dope or drinking more before we were finally ready to start growing up and stop throwing up. What ever path one needs to go down to sobriety or death is optional, we all wind up in one of 2 places.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hey we have a 15 year old in the rooms and a ton of folks in their teens and early 20's! They have a blast doing things together sober!!!!

There are a lot of alcoholics that stay sober using the Mary Jane maintenance program, we have a ton of them in the rooms of AA today that had one of 2 things happen, either they burnt out on smoking dope or staying stoned just did not cut it any more so they went back to drinking and then into AA.

Many of us had to finish our stories by smoking dope or drinking more before we were finally ready to start growing up and stop throwing up. What ever path one needs to go down to sobriety or death is optional, we all wind up in one of 2 places.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

A lot of my friends were glad I quit drinking. My willpower always involved me taking that next drink, no matter what. By myself, I couldn't keep it pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Lurker

Well I guess if an entire generation is coming along that is either stoned or drunk. I guess the entire country has a much bigger problem. Patsfan you have been given a lot of good advice. If I where you I would read the BB. It will give a lot of insight.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostmdboy View Post
Well I guess if an entire generation is coming along that is either stoned or drunk. I guess the entire country has a much bigger problem. Patsfan you have been given a lot of good advice. If I where you I would read the BB. It will give a lot of insight.

You mean the flower children? They are getting ready to retire

Every generation has been drunk and stoned. This is nothing new.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Lurker

Well I sure know a lot of kids that are not. A lot!!! Thank God. I think I was trying to make the point that when one is an alcoholic it is nessary to change almost every thing about them selves inorder to recover. Including most of our friends, because they usually enable our drinking behavior, and if one continues to hang out with them we will slip back to old behaviors.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

okay..makes sense. I was cracking a joke more than anything (alcoholism being an age-old problem and all)

Weird thing is, I hang around the people that I used to drink with (family, friends) on a regular basis without even feeling a temptation to drink.

The problem has been removed, just like I was promised. I just have to maintain a certain attitude and spiritual practice.

It's great!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Lurker

well for me I tried and it did not work out. One person Imeadiately after I had made my admens too, asked me "does this mean you can't get high?" Truely at this point in my sobriety I would much rather be around my sober friends then my ones still using.