Notices

Can't take it anymore, I'm going to Detox

Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't take it anymore, I'm going to Detox

Hey guys I tried this cold turkey, did fine today until about an hour ago and I am freaking out...woke my parents up, it's 3:00, and they are taking me to the ER right now...I'll Keep in touch!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*prayers*

please DO keep in touch patsfan!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wise move!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good move, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok i'm am legitimately upset...like really upset...I call my primary care, they tell me go to the ER, I call AdCare (a detox facility) they tell me to go to the ER...so where do I go, the ER. I get to ER, I wait for about 25 min to get checked in, it took about 40 min to get there number one...I wait in a hallway, not a room, on a bed...still freaking out...I get seen by one doctor whom wants to immediately give me an IV, and then goes "i should probably check and see if this is what they want first huh?"...come to find out it wasn't what they wanted and almost got an IV for no reason...so I get seen by another doctor, and another doctor, and yet another doctor, and all they have to say is "why did you come here instead of going to detox?" Gee probably cause everyone I called said go to the ER...ok so to make a long story short they give me valium, and a prescription to valium saying it will keep the DT's away and lower the anxiety and that was all detox was gonna do anyways...so after taking the valium and it being 6 a.m., I can no longer check into detox cause i'm about to pass out, but I'll tell ya, I've never taken a valium before, but I don't have a care in the world right now, anxiety is almost completely gone, my head is in a whole different realm, and for being sedated i'm good...don't know if valium is any good for detoxing but it makes ya feel good, which is probably why i am rambling on...but also decided not to go to detox was cause the ER treated me like crap for this problem, and I felt pretty low about myself. They made it seem like I was the only one with this problem. So i'm taking my chances I guess to get through this, and will probably sleep through most of the day. So in all reality my experience has made me feel alone once again...but I know i can count on you guys to lift my spirits.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow.

that could possibly .. be the longest sentence I've ever read!

when you get up,hon, I'd llike you to read this again.

I've a friend I made on these boards ... told me about valium in detox. He developed a little 'problem' with it - so you be careful today, okay? Personally I dislike valium - makes me feel like I'm wearing a 40lb pack on my back...

When you wake up and feel more yourself -
Go ahead and make those arrangements.

That's a smart thing to do, hon.
Oneway to tick me off real quick is to let me hear about rude and callous doctors.
I mean -
here I am in a hotel and I am pleasant to almost everyone who walks in here until they give me a reason NOT to be, ya know?
And I make ... 'doodoo' for wages.

Then there's a doctor, more money in a weekend than I'll make in a year - being rude.

Ticks me off.
At least SMILE when you hand me that eight dollar aspirin, ya know?

I'm glad you're okay now, though.
And you didn't drink.
You probably could have - but you didn't.

Hold on to that, okay?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are not the only one with these problems!! This was the first thing about AA that kept me coming back. I always thought nobody knew how I felt, and now people are telling me how I'm going to feel after something happens. Something happened to me that night when I found out that there are a ton of people who really know how I feel and have gone through the same thing. It was powerful and exciting.

I've been treated like crap at the ER before, I've felt nobody understood my situation but there are a lot of people that do.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope you do as Barb suggested, and still check yourself into detox.

Sorry the dr. was a jerk. I was an ER nurse for 12 years (until addiction took me down) and the standard routine for someone in your shape is to give an IV with thiamine and a multivitamin (we called it the banana bag because it was yellow) because those are things alcohol severely depletes in your body and can cause major problems.

The valium is something you definitely have to be careful of...some call it alcohol in a pill. Yes, detox will probably give you valium, but you will be supervised and not able to take more than you're prescribed, unlike if you're sitting at home with a bottle full of them. Detox will also taper you down on the valium...not something you can take for a while then just quit....causes seizures.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I think you really need to be under medical supervision. I've dealt with jerk dr.'s before and finally reminded them that they are getting paid darn good to do their job and if they can't treat me with respect as a human, find me one that can. I've also reminded them that MD does NOT spell God and they aren't any better than me.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-04-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Valium will work right now for you. It got me through my detox. They should be monitoring your blood pressure every 2 hrs just to see how you are doing through detoxing.

Last edited by bye_bye_vodka; 01-04-2008 at 06:21 AM. Reason: brain fart
Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sorry for the longest run-on sentence in the history of the world. Well i just woke up after about a 7 hour sleep. I still feel kinda weird from the valium. They prescribed me 5 mg tablets. Do you think I can cut those in half, they appear to be way to intense and really upset my stomach. Just curious
Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My body chemistry could never handle valiums, probably because of the drink and the holes in my stomache. Whatever you do, don't take more than prescribed. Do what you are thinking and take half. If you are feeling better take 1/4. if you're feeling better, throw them out or give them to someone you trust to hold them.

I am not a doctor, so don't take that as professional advice. But you should be careful as I've had friends with valium issues. It does happen.

Hope you get well on your way in the healing process sooner than later
Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's day two....and i'm weak, tired, my head is completely out of it....anxiety is gone, but i think I'm still feeling that initial valium after about 10 hours. Is it normally to just feel like you want to cry for absolutely no reason??? I must say that I am happy as I just walked by a case of beer and flipped the SOB off.

As much a I would never wish this upon anyone, I feel as though I deserve it. The strong do survive, and if four days of hell is all that it takes, then what the hell is 4 days. I'm 23 I've lived for over 8,000 days. If 1% of that are the worst days of my life, then that is nothing.

I am truely grateful that I have found this community. Without you guys I would never have found it inside of me to do this. I want to thank you and will definitly keep you guys up to date on my progress. Again thank you!!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well thats the spirit sounds like your on your way. Sorry about the ER thing but hey you got something to help you get through.

Your a Pats fan man, we rock.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treasure2Find View Post
That's the first i've smiled all day...thank you!!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there if you want it to get better it will. Thank-you for the smile I needed one too!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I had a tough second day...my worst period was from 6:30 til about 9. I slept til about 4 and felt pretty good for a couple hours (my head was really in the clouds for that period of time though). At about 8 i took half of a valium the effects of the valium are very subtle, rather than overpowering like they were when I took a full one at the ER. To be honest at this current moment I am feeling more normal than have this entire week. It probably is credited to the valium but for now I am ok with that. I have given the valiums to my Mom to hold because I do have an addictive personality and I hate prescription drugs as it is, so I will only get them as recommended.

When, not if, I make through the next few days I may shed a tear because I thought for the longest time alcohol was gonna control me, and this is already the longest I've gone without a drink in at least 4 years. I'm sorry if i'm using this forum as a journal but I'd like to look back on this when all is said and done, and feel as though it was def worth it.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

recovery is a roller coaster man, there will be ups downs and all arounds emotionally and physical for the first little while. Your body mind and soul have been dependant on alcohol for a long time and will try anything to convince you that you "NEED" just one drink. Don't be tricked.

It just gets better and better man, hang in.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Of course you may use this Forum as a jurnal
but.....
we have had major crashes and lost thousands
of threads. You need to be caucious

I have learned to use my Doc for my important things

Glad you are lowering the Valium
and having your Mom hold them.

You are really making progress ...
Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

oh.
what.
ever.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Good for you Pats fan! you are doing great. Keep posting! We are pulling for you! Sorry for your suckie experience at the ER. How unprofessional of them. You just keep on keeping on and keep checking in with us.

Sheila