Notices

Need Help

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help

I have been here on these threads for along time mostly reading, but i need each and everyone of you right now.. I have been on a drinking binge since the 21st of december, a case of beer or more a day plus a pint of 100 proof vodka more or less in the morning to soothe the pain, i have had 1 day sober in this time frame and i am scared of the detox. I used to be a everyday drinker and was so for years with no damaging withdrawls but i feel my alcoholism has progressed and i fear my withdrawls have followed it. Just please keep me in you thoughts,and advice is always welcome. This is after 30 days sober , what a dumbass i am.....

John
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

John it happens, detox gets worse every time one goes through it, it also can and does kill people, the best advice I can give right now is to see a doctor ASAP, then go from there. You will be in my prayers brother.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, if you read my recent thread about my friend and her seizures that will give you an idea about how dangerous detox can be. Believe me this is no theoretical risk. The lady I helped had blood flowing out of her ear, had lost control of her bowels and infact had lost complete control of everything. For about 10 minutes she was literally a muscle spasm without consciousness. She could hardly breathe, was spitting and juttering. Really, you need to see a doctor before doing a detox.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I was never more than moderate withdrawal from alcohol, but I remember what I've seen family members go through, as well as a woman brought in while I was in detox. Cutting back isn't an option for many alcoholics -- for me, anyway, the will was gone once I picked up the first drink, so the suggestions to see a doctor are sound ones. Might save your life. Alcoholism kills.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes, with the ammount you have been using recently...
you would be in danger during your de tox.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Be both safe and sober John
Please do not try de toxing without medical assistance.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

John, I am glad to see you move from reading to asking for help. I hope you are able to find SR as supportive and informative as I have.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

problemchild said:

I have been on a drinking binge since the 21st of december, a case of beer or more a day plus a pint of 100 proof vodka more or less in the morning
Seems like an awful lot. Even people who are deeply sceptical about the detox industry think professional advice and/or supervision is needed at about a quarter of your current alcohol consumption, during the detox phase.

Are you sure about how much you are drinking? It seems so much.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

:praying
Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by ManchurianC View Post

Seems like an awful lot. Even people who are deeply sceptical about the detox industry think professional advice and/or supervision is needed at about a quarter of your current alcohol consumption, during the detox phase.

The worst alcohol detox I went through followed three months of consumption at about the level problemchild is describing, and I was a 19 yr old, 95lb woman at the time. Everybody's different, and I wouldn't describe my detox as severe, but it sure wasn't any fun. I shook like I was going to shake apart, didn't sleep for quite awhile after, couldn't eat much (didn't eat much while I was drinking, either), and tore my stomach up but good, but I didn't see any pink elephants. Two weeks of that kind of drinking isn't a long time, but it's long enough.

And, problemchild, I don't know how big you are, but I would be concerned about more than just a detox. I've had alcohol poisoning more than once, including and beyond the time I described. That can kill you, too.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by ManchurianC View Post
problemchild said:

Each person has a different tolerance level. At the end of my drinking I was buying two 30 packs of beer along with a pint of 100 proof Hot Damn to get through one evenings drinking. Some people I know did not even drink half that but also went through withdrawls. It has a lot to do with how much damage has been done to the body. My liver was in pretty poor shape by the end of my drinking.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, now -- lift yourself up and get to the doctor. Detox, then start your road to recovery....

Stay close to SR -- there are many folks on here who can help with the recovery part -- the doc has to handle the detox....

Keeping you in my prayers.

NMB
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John,

How are you doing this evening?

As others have said, please get medical help and know that we are here to support you.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I spoke to John yesterday afternoon for quite a while, his wife was going to be taking into detox when she got home about 2:30PM EST or a couple of the folks in AA in his area, he may follow up with a 28 day rehab to boot so there is not a need to worry if we do not hear back from him in a while. He said he would call me when and if he could to let me know exactly what is going on. We were not allowed cell phones in the detox I went to so it may be a while.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good guy, you are Taz....thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad to know John is where he is safe

Thanks for the update Taz!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone and there concern, the detox doctors told me i only needed short term observation and meds due to my lack of time in the bottle this time , Soooooo the story goes i stayed for 34 hrs and they released me. Feeling pretty good right now to my surprise, have a follow up on Monday with a outpatient program, may do that or a long term,we have not decieded yet. They put me through the wringer as far as heart tests and all the above and all checked out fine, then followed up on ivs and vitamins with anti seizure meds.
Again thank you to all for your support and kind words.
John
Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

thats good news John, thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whew John!
Excellent!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well done problemchild.

On drinking levels: I was a 4 or 5 times more than the safe limit alcoholic, so it's a bit of shock to read about people consuming so much. However, I was still a useless drunk, so I'm not being snooty.

I was reading about Sulfasalazine (a cheap drug to treat arthritis) that apparently (by accident) reverses severe liver disease. Did it ever make it out of the labs as a treatment for liver damage?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well i see alot of refrences about the amount of my consumption, First i should say i did not post that to boast or for shock value in anyway , unfourtanatley it was the SICK truth , and if you are still in the cycle of alcohol one day you could end up there or even beyond also..
Before when i was a daily drinker (365) a yr I could drink more than a 12pk and no one could even tell i had been drinking except for the odor..Binge drinking for me like this last time seemed to be worse i was like a madman on a sole mission to drink to get very drunk quickly to ease the pain of the hangover that was caused fro the day before..

Anyhoot , I feel even better today because of well needed sleep and plan on making my AA meeting in around 1 1/2 hrs . Again thank you all.
John