Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

well i didn't drink this evening,but i tried an experiment

Notices

Old 06-11-2003, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok i know this isn't condoned on this forum,however out of desperation i smoked marijuana in the hopes of killing the craving for alcohol.i used to smoke as a teen but grew tired of it and found something more fun,alcohol.well i was amazed at my lack of will power at the end of the day, really wanting beer.and like a magnetic force i would get pulled into the liquor store, even though i planned on driving by.so i tried an old ally this evening
to see if it would repel my desire for drink,it did.at least it's a
start because the desire to drink is what keeps pulling me back.that's my main problem..i still have the desire even though it's screwing up my life.so if a little grass can help me right now,i will utilize it until i get stronger.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...

in AA a lot of us tried the mary jane maintance program.

I had to realise I was only trading addictions...amd this one was illegal. Really made no sense to me.

I do hope you find your way into a life free of mood altering drugs.

It is hard to change directions...you are woth the effort.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

it's tough to quit addictions. I went from alcohol, to pain killers, to crack, back to pain killers, back to alcohol.

Addiction is addiction. Blue, I don't believe you can escape the cycle by substituting one for the other. It's all going to pull you back in.

Good for you for not drinking, but you deserve more than the MJ. If I sound like I'm being hard on you, I'm not. I'm just hoping you don't follow in my footseps (yes, I know crack is different than MJ!)

Good luck to you and keep us updated
Old 06-11-2003, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Like Carol said it's called "marijauana maintenance" in AA. Not a good idea! Your doing sooo great though, just be tough! I have faith you'll get threw it, just be patient and preoccupy yourself.

Rooting for ya!
Old 06-12-2003, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes i am familiar with the term marijuana maintainence,and i hope to be drug free completely.i need something to quell that impulse to drink,i live with alcoholics,when i'm aroud them i want to drink
this at least puts a space between that craving for alcohol.i'll get there guys,like many people it's a slow painful process.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally posted by kindablue
...i'll get there guys, like many people it's a slow painful process.
For me, using AVRT, it was a sudden, joyous event. I was addicted to alcohol (getting high) and then I was not. Whatever your chosen method of remaining sober (slow and painful or sudden and joyous), using any type of substance to alter your mood is the same regardless of the substance you choose - it is stupid, weak and immoral. Substituting one substance for another merely prolongs the root problem - your desire to trade reality (responsibility, self-discipline, maturity) for the deep pleasure of getting high, and you are doomed to fail until you see that escaping reality by any means is irresposible, weak and immature. Mature adults know about something called "delayed gratification" in which you work for something and reap exponentially greater rewards than if you cop out and take the easy way of lighting a joint or chugging some booze to feel good. Just my two cents worth. I'm sure I'll get yelled at.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Man, I am glad you posted this. I toyed with the pot idea a couple of weeks ago. Luckily my sober self kicked me in the ass and put me back on track before I had the chance to act.

Glad to hear it doesn't work. You have been a big help.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To help me with my cravings I ate hard candy,chewed gum, drank gallons of water and fruit juices.

I read AA literature and called up other members in the programme whenever the urges to drink became too unbearable.

I found all the above techniques very helpful.

Because of the highly addictive nature of marijuana it was never an option for me because I knew I would only be trading one addition for another.

I have been in recovery for six years and I have never met anyone who tried this alternative succeed in staying sober for very long.

Peter.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey blue,
You wrote:
"i live with alcoholics,when i'm aroud them i want to drink"

Did you ever consider moving??
Old 06-12-2003, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Doug

Your choice KB. Keep coming back and good luck.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Well said screen......
Old 06-15-2003, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

Try reading January 6 in the book Tewnty Four Hours A Day. It sure helps me.:shades:
Old 06-15-2003, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

A drug is a drug is a drug. Go to a meeting and talk to your sponcer and stop smoking that crap. BikerBill8
Old 06-15-2003, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

I agree Bill.:okay:
Old 06-21-2003, 10:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah you guys were right,the experiment failed,i drank.i didn't think it would really work anyway,when i smoked i really didn't like it all that much and went back to drinking.trying to stay sober today,i got all messed up on friday and have been slightly off kilter
for the last couple of days.which is what happens when i put a serious drunk on,hopefully by tomorrow i'll be a little more clear and focused.so today i'm trying to stay away from a drink.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Just stay away from that drink long enough to read this post. Then read another post. Then another. Then read a book or watch tv (if its not a trigger for drinking) or get out of the house even better for an hour. Then another hour. Before you even see it, it'll be 24 hours. Don't worry bout the next 24. All you have to think about is this 24, or hour, or even minute.

I've never known anyone to succeed at the pot experiment. But... you learned a lesson. Take it from there and don't get down on yourself!
Old 06-21-2003, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

I tried POT therapy. I stayed "sober" for about two months.
I was very proud of myself even though I was smoking constantly. But finally the Big Reds and Mountain Dews got old and the thought that just one beer would be okay. And the cycle continued. Step One is the only step we MUST DO 100 percent.
Keep coming back.