Notices

Concerned about detoxing

Old 01-02-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerned about detoxing

Ok so I'm 23, and have been drinking quite a bit for like the 3 or 4 years. I would say during the week I will average between 4-6 beers a night, and on weekends, i'll drink until i pretty much pass out with friends. This is normally about 12-18 beers with probably about 3 or 4 shots thrown in. I'm concerned about detoxing cause I've heard alcohol is not good to detox from without supervision. I currently haven't had a drink in about 2 days, and i'm suffering from severe anxiety/panic attacks. My head is really in the clouds i would say. I would have to say this is withdrawel, and I'm not having fun with it. Knowing there is beer in my house leads me to believe that I will only put up with this for a short while longer before I give in and have a drink. Being on vacation right now from school has lead me to pretty much get drunk every night. Should someone in my situation be supervised while trying to detox, and if that is the case should I drink up until the time I check into a detox center??

I really wanna stop drinking so much, but I know weekends will be my downfall as that is the only time I see my friends and being 23 that's what friends do. Is it possible to only drink weekends and not have to worry about withdrawel symptoms...I'm really confused and really new to this whole quitting thing. I don't feel as tough I have the will power to quit because I fall into peer pressure quite easily.

Pretty much I'm lost, and am looking for any advice I can get. I guess this is my cry for help.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello patsfan, If you are concerned about detox i would call and get an apointment with a health professional , it can make your detox a lot less terrible... also there is always the emergency room, as far as quiting on just the "weedays" i tried that and it did not work, the only way i have kept from drinking was to join my local AA group and get a sponsor and start working the steps.. however to each his own, regardless i'll pray for you

Best wishes
Flood
:praying
Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

Asking your doctor for advice is a wise move.

No drinks in 2 days? You most likely will finish your
de tox in another 24 hours.
If you drink the beers ...you will then lose the
2 days of your body and minds withdrawal.

Drink oodles of water. No caffeine.

Distract yourself....a brisk walk...shower..eat...Yoga
dance around the room ...nap if you can.

We have an interesting top sticky post here with
our experiences and information Please read it.

Keep in focus and let us know how you are doing.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can only offer my experience.

I think when I was 23 - I was pretty much in the same boat..drinking heavy on the weekends and then swearing off come Monday morning, just to change my mind the following weekend. I would drink weekdays as work or school permitted. The thought of stopping all together was neither attractive nor did it ever seem like a genuine option for me. Thus, I did not stop, but made attempts to moderate. Some were successful, I would go a week without a drink or whatever, just to get back into the same routine without really wanting to. It's hard to compare to any other area of life - saying I don't want to do something and then doing it anyways.

I would say you are probably detoxing right now, maybe it is a really bad hangover, but if it gets bad, see a doctor and BE HONEST with him. They cannot help without you being open and honest.

Unless you try to stop or moderate, you will never know if you can or not. I was not able to, I ended up in hospitals many times, rehabs many times..I probably could have stopped if I got to the right place earlier, but why would I want to? Alcohol stopped working, my friends and I grew up and I could not stop drinking or have just a little.

You have to try to stop or moderate, if that fails, then hit me up again. If you cannot stop when you really really want/need to - then I have practicle advice. Until that time, I can only share what happened to me.

All the best

~A
Old 01-02-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

luckly I was told to quit caffeene a couple weeks ago so I no longer drink anything that has it in it. I would say today is harder than yesterday...somehow yesterday-begining of today i managed to sleep for a good 18 hours, but now that am i rested, i'm very jittery, can't sit still. Is niccotine bad while trying to detox, I don't wanna smoke if that's just gonna make things worse, but then again it might temporarily calm me down.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One day at a time......

You came to the right place.............I watch someone I care for do just at you do.........

Do check in with your Doc and see what advise and help you can get there.........don't do this alone..........get to meetings and keep yourself busy with walks and such......

Keep moving forward........you will make progress......I will pray for you ...........

Little Penguin
Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

PatsFan - your drinking pattern was pretty much mine for the last 3-4 yrs, although I was probably drinking a little more during the week, weekends - we were beer for beer. I started drinking heavy in college and it continued until I could no longer control it. I made it to age 38 without any serious downfalls but I was no longer in control of my drinking.

That being said, I quit cold turkey and day 2 was pretty much as you describe. I would say your probably through the worst of the physical stuff and you can expect the next 24 hours to be more of the same. Day 3 was the worst for panic/anxiety - so I attended an AA meeting and that really calmed me down, even if it was scary frist walking in.

I don't see any harm in smoking if it calms you down. Your main priority is not drinking; smoking is the lesser of the two evils at this point. I chew tobacco and found myself using more when I first quit drinking but now I'm using less and less tobacco. I deal with that addiction later, right now, the focus is on staying sober.

Given the similarities in our drinking, I would think it would be very difficult/next to impossible for you to continue only on the weekends and keep it under control.

If your serious about this, then dump out that beer you have. Dump it - don't just throw it in the trash. When I quit, I just got up and said enough and dumped out every beer in my house.
If your worried enough about your drinking to be here, then you already know you have a problem or are at least well on your way.

Don't know if any of that helps, just trying to give you honest feedback.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck to you...i really really hope you can gain the courage and power to overcome this before it overcomes you.....peace with you.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm 23, and I was drinking 12-18 beers every night for about 3 years. As was said before, the first 2-3 days sucked. I was VERY thirsty and drank tons of water. A lot of the time it felt like my blood sugar was low, I was dizzy and disoriented. It got better after about 5-6 days and I started to feel normal again. Without a support program (at least in my case and I'm saying this for me) it will be very easy to say "see, I can stop, no problems here". And then go right back to the beginning and drink again. Even with a support group I am still looking for excuses to drink. It's rough man, but it does get better.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
PatsFan - your drinking pattern was pretty much mine for the last 3-4 yrs, although I was probably drinking a little more during the week, weekends - we were beer for beer. I started drinking heavy in college and it continued until I could no longer control it. I made it to age 38 without any serious downfalls but I was no longer in control of my drinking.

That being said, I quit cold turkey and day 2 was pretty much as you describe. I would say your probably through the worst of the physical stuff and you can expect the next 24 hours to be more of the same. Day 3 was the worst for panic/anxiety - so I attended an AA meeting and that really calmed me down, even if it was scary frist walking in.

I don't see any harm in smoking if it calms you down. Your main priority is not drinking; smoking is the lesser of the two evils at this point. I chew tobacco and found myself using more when I first quit drinking but now I'm using less and less tobacco. I deal with that addiction later, right now, the focus is on staying sober.

Given the similarities in our drinking, I would think it would be very difficult/next to impossible for you to continue only on the weekends and keep it under control.

If your serious about this, then dump out that beer you have. Dump it - don't just throw it in the trash. When I quit, I just got up and said enough and dumped out every beer in my house.
If your worried enough about your drinking to be here, then you already know you have a problem or are at least well on your way.

Don't know if any of that helps, just trying to give you honest feedback.
That's def. a huge help. It does help to understand that I am not the only one who is/has gone through this. I just don't want this to be a problem that I don't realize before it is to late. My mother is a recovering alcoholic, and I give her all the credit in the world, cause both me and my dad drink in the same house, and she just finished a year of sobriety. My dad on the other hand can moderately drink never having more than 6 in a given night. Also he doesn't drink every night. I give him credit for that. My grandfather on the other hand is far worse than I ever want to be. He can consume easily 30 beers in a day with no noticable impact on his behavior. I still have not given into the beers that are sitting in my house. I can't go as far as dumping them out cause they are my dads and he might want them. I'm still going out of my mind, but i'm determined to win this battle. Since i was 15 I've given into every temptation when it has come to drugs and alcohol, I've conquered the drug aspect as I have been clean of hard drugs now for over a year. I still smoke marijuana, but I am not in favor of prescription drugs, and pot seems to be the only thing that keeps my anxiety down. I'm hoping for the best, and I'm glad I found you guys cause without being here right now, I think i would've already drank about 7 beers. I'm trying to hold up strong...really trying. Thank you guys for all your advice.

If in the event i do surcome to the addiction I will seek professional help, and check into a detox center. For once I would like some memories of my youth that didn't involve drugs or alcohol.

Thank you once again!!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
I'm 23, and I was drinking 12-18 beers every night for about 3 years. As was said before, the first 2-3 days sucked. I was VERY thirsty and drank tons of water. A lot of the time it felt like my blood sugar was low, I was dizzy and disoriented. It got better after about 5-6 days and I started to feel normal again. Without a support program (at least in my case and I'm saying this for me) it will be very easy to say "see, I can stop, no problems here". And then go right back to the beginning and drink again. Even with a support group I am still looking for excuses to drink. It's rough man, but it does get better.
I feel as though I may do the same and say "I stopped no problem, so therefore i didn't have a problem." Which is why when all is said and done I may need to seek help elsewhere, whether it be AA or detox...what can I expect from AA, and one of my friends is currently going to help with his drinking problem, would it be best if we went together???
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PatsFan81 View Post
and one of my friends is currently going to help with his drinking problem, would it be best if we went together???
That might be a nice way to be introduced to your first meeting. But you really have to go (if that is what you want) for yourself, and vice versa.

You can expect people at AA to know exactly how you feel, offer advice, make you feel comfortable and OK with what is going on.

If you are open to it, I would say give it a try. Worst thing is you lose an hour sitting in a meeting, no one will make you do anything or convince you to do anything at all.

If you do go, please post an update.

I am going to one tonight, looking very much forward to it.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PatsFan81 View Post
I feel as though I may do the same and say "I stopped no problem, so therefore i didn't have a problem." Which is why when all is said and done I may need to seek help elsewhere, whether it be AA or detox...what can I expect from AA, and one of my friends is currently going to help with his drinking problem, would it be best if we went together???
I'm actually about to head out to go to a meeting, but you can expect people to be able to actually understand what you are going through, people that want to help, and people who you will have common ground with. I really enjoy it thus far, and I look forward to meetings. It will be pretty amazing when you find out that you aren't alone. For the longest time when I was drinking I was thinking: "Someone should write a book about my life, it's so messed up with addictions and my emotions are wrecked...I'm the only one who feels like this" Turns out I'm a garden variety alcoholic and most of the people in the meetings have gone through the same thing, and if I do the work to get better I can look forward to a new life free of drugs and booze.

Go with your friend, the hardest part for me was going to the first meeting since I thought I was so different.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't do this on my own...my anxiety has gotten worse, i've been sweating quite a bit, i was starving, sat down to eat took one bite and felt sick...I think i have no choice but to give in...I feel horrible right now, probably am going to throw up...my head is just out of it. I dunno what to do.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

PatsFan

You may want to go to the doctor or urgent care and get a checkup. Detox can be dangerous and it can't hurt to be cautious.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I failed I couldn't deal with it any longer...i'm gonna try checking into a detox center tomorrow or over the weekend...it's to hard to handle on your own especially knowing that it should be done under medical supervision...i was in fear of serious health risks of stopping. I don't look at this as a failed attempt but more so as an answer to my question as to whether or not I have a problem...and the answer to that question is yes. Rather than be upset at the fact I gave in to the alcohol, I am happy that I have finally admitted that I do have a problem. After a beer my head is really still spaced out, but the anxiety has gone away for the most part. Sorry if I let anyone down.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Patsfan...

I doubt very much that anyone here is let down at all. An awakening is a beautiful thing.

AA has a basic text that outlines the recovery program and in it on page32 it states:

"It may be worth a bad case of the jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition."

In detox, or the hospital or wherever you go tomorrow, they will medicall withdraw you. In the past, alcohol was used, but the problem with the use of alcohol is that once we have a little, we tend to drink a lot.

Be kind to yourself. This is nothing to be ashamed of, it can only lead to good thing.

All the best

~A
Old 01-02-2008, 11:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

No worries PatsFan - you had doubts about a problem and got an answer.
I'm happy for you that your dealing with it. You'll get through this, get sober and then get yourself a support network.
AA has been awesome for me, I just got home from a meeting and the drive home always feels great, but regardless of what you do, please keep coming back here and keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was searching Google and wanted to thank Carol and Omega for their responses. I'm actually in the same boat as a couple in this thread right this minute and was searching for answers and the two of you had great ones.

I'm not really sure where to post what's going on with me so I'll get to know the forum better and put it in a proper place.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Patsfan see a doctor ASAP, the doctor may or may not suggest detox, he may or may not suggest re-hab.

Number one thing in getting and staying sober is HONESTY!!!!! You are getting HONEST with yourself right now, this can be a beginning of a beautiful journey, the next thing you need to do is be TOTALLY HONEST with the doctor, tell him exactly how much you drink, how long you have drank and how often.

I am an alcoholic, I lied to myself about my drinking for way to many years, it was not until I was able to become HONEST with myself that I was begin my journey into sobriety. I was HONEST with the doctor I went into detox and then straight into AA which is how I gained freedom from alcohol and stay sober today.

Honesty is the crucial beginning, but without WILLINGNESS I was lost, you see for 10 years I was able to be honest with myself about having a drinking problem, but I was not WILLING to do what ever it took to get and STAY sober, I was going to do it my way, I would not listen to anyone else, I was going to stay stopped my way, well I always wound up drinking again and every time it was worse then before until finally I had to drink every day just to feel normal!

I had to be WILLING to do what ever it took to get and stay sober, I finally was WILLING to listen to the doctor, I went to detox, in detox they told me I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor, in AA I went to more then 90 meetings in 90 days and I got a sponsor, they told me if I wanted to stay sober and be happy and free I needed to work the steps.... I did and today I am a free and happy man after 40 years of bondage to my alcoholism.

I had to be WILLING to follow directions, that is what saved me and millions of other alcoholics.