Notices

Concerned about detoxing

Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Is it possible that detoxing for me was worse than it should've been because I had just come off drinking on new years eve where I went all out with 18 beers, split a bottle of wine, did 5 shots, and lord knows what else i could've drank later on that night??? I normally don't come close to drinking that much except for special ocassions. Like I stated earlier I really only have like 3 - 5 beers on a weekday. And even though I did give in last night I still only had 3 beers. I had read that withdrawels can be greater coming off a night of heavy drinking. Just wondering if anyone knew any truth to that. Cause maybe I'll stick to the 3-5 beers for couple of nights and retry quitting if that be the case.

Last edited by PatsFan81; 01-03-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-03-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I always referred to that feeling as a hangover. Withdrawls were much worse, shaking, cloudy head, panicky etc.

What did the detox/Dr have to say?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
I always referred to that feeling as a hangover. Withdrawls were much worse, shaking, cloudy head, panicky etc.

What did the detox/Dr have to say?
Doctor didn't feel as though i drank enough to be concerned about serious health risks with stopping. Said if I couldn't tolerate it and if anxiety got to bad to then seek help in a rehab facility. So i've been clean today and to be honest I feel fine...anxiety was a little bad earlier today. I had some friends come over and we played video games for awhile, kept my mind off of things. Have a little bit of headache but i think that is from staring at a tv screen for a couple hours. All in all i feel pretty good right now, haven't had any urges to drink. Actually ate some food today. It's now been about 26 hours since I've had my last drink. So we'll take it day by day. I think this time i can do it, I'm feeling much better than I did in my first 24 hours of trying to quit, so if tomorrow goes well I may be able to shake this.

Now i know this question may bring upon answers I probably won't wanna hear, but after I "detox" myself how soon can I drink without running into immediate problems. Like I had said in my original post I would like to control my drinking and limit it to weekends only, cause I have never attempted that before, and I really feel as though as I can do it due to the fact I am in school mon - fri, for 8 hours a day, and am only up for about 4 hours when I get home. I was just curious as to how long my body needs to recover from the withdrawels. I understand many answers will be along the lines of forever, but I want to see if I can moderate my drinking before I ultimately decide to quit for good. Maybe I'm going down the wrong to road to recovery but I feel as though I have established there is a problem, and will try and not allow the problem to come back, but I won't know until I at least try I guess.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Pat,

Maybe you won't run into any immediate problems, but if you are an alcoholic, like I am, you won't be able to moderate your drinking. I was drinking pretty moderately at your age..it took me a few more years to be drinking all the time. And by then, boy did I have some problems.

Look at your Mom, or your Grandpa. You are probably genetically predetermined to being an alcoholic.

I feel that you are on a slippery slope. Take care and think this through..

Karen
Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PatsFan81 View Post
Now i know this question may bring upon answers I probably won't wanna hear, but after I "detox" myself how soon can I drink without running into immediate problems. Like I had said in my original post I would like to control my drinking and limit it to weekends only, cause I have never attempted that before, and I really feel as though as I can do it due to the fact I am in school mon - fri, for 8 hours a day, and am only up for about 4 hours when I get home. I was just curious as to how long my body needs to recover from the withdrawels. I understand many answers will be along the lines of forever, but I want to see if I can moderate my drinking before I ultimately decide to quit for good. Maybe I'm going down the wrong to road to recovery but I feel as though I have established there is a problem, and will try and not allow the problem to come back, but I won't know until I at least try I guess.

If you do try and moderate your drinking, determine how much work it takes to do this and keep in mind how you feel. I know for myself it was terrible trying to only drink certain days/certain drinks/certain times. I was fixated on drinking, and trying to control it sucked bad. Even if I wasn't drinking I was thinking about it or at least wanted to. Doing something sober may have been OK, but it would have been better with booze. It got to the point where I basically said "screw it, this is too much work" and went back to drinking whenever I wanted, and had to figure out the whole problem again.

Just something that happened to me and I figured I'd share.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Now i know this question may bring upon answers I probably won't wanna hear, but after I "detox" myself how soon can I drink without running into immediate problems.

you're kidding, right?

you're gonna go through all this - hell ... and do it again?

F*O*T*F*L*M*A*O*
Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was just curious as to how long my body needs to recover from the withdrawels. I understand many answers will be along the lines of forever, but I want to see if I can moderate my drinking before I ultimately decide to quit for good.
Moderation for an alcoholic is like playing russian roulette, keep pulling the trigger and eventually the gun will go off!!!

Do what you wish, why not just stay drunk rather then going though the withdrawals and then getting drunk again? I would highly reccommend you do some research on alcoholism before you decide whether or not to drink again, take this test and answer it honestly, Alcoholics Anonymous : if you determine you are an alcoholic then you have a decision to make.

1. Do I go through withdrawals and stop drinking and live life?

2. Ignore the test, go through withdrawals, start drinking again and find out that you are worse then you were before you went through the withdrawals?

If you choose #2 keep in mind that leaves you with the following choices:

1. Getting sober again and living if another withdrawal does not kill you, they get worse every time you go through them.

2. Winding up in prison and having to go through withdrawals again.

3. Drinking until you wind up in a mental institution.

4. Death....... the only cure for alcoholism.

BTW I just took the quiz again...... I scored 11, but I drank for 40 years, trust me I could have taken that quiz when I was 17 and still would have been an alcoholic, the longer I drank the higher my score got. Do you want to shoot for a perfect score before you decide to quit or die?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'll tell you a bit about my experience.
I have some considerable times of sobriety during my drinking career... 1, 3, 4, 13 years.
You would think that after 13 years of sobriety it would be pretty easy to drink in moderation...WRONG!!! From the moment my relapse started I was drinking a bottle of vodka almost every day, nice moderation, dont you think?.
As others have said before it could work for you for a litle while, but IF you are an alcoholic (and I think, based on what you have told us, you are) sooner or later you are going back to the same problem.
You could not go through with the withdrawals the first time and remember, alcoholism is a progressive disease,so, please think carefully before you make your decision.
Wishing you all the best. Swamijapa
Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by swamijapa View Post
I'll tell you a bit about my experience.
I have some considerable times of sobriety during my drinking career... 1, 3, 4, 13 years.
You would think that after 13 years of sobriety it would be pretty easy to drink in moderation...WRONG!!! From the moment my relapse started I was drinking a bottle of vodka almost every day, nice moderation, dont you think?.
As others have said before it could work for you for a litle while, but IF you are an alcoholic (and I think, based on what you have told us, you are) sooner or later you are going back to the same problem.
You could not go through with the withdrawals the first time and remember, alcoholism is a progressive disease,so, please think carefully before you make your decision.
Wishing you all the best. Swamijapa
To be honest I may take back what I have said...after dealing with this for two miserable days, i don't think I want to drink again anyways. Unfortunatly I feel AA is out of the question because I don't have spiritual/religeous beliefs, and from viewing what the 12 step program is, it's not something i could do without first question who this "higher power" is. I do credit all those that do go, and right now this forum is my AA as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

AA isn't so much about religion. Your misunderstanding of what a 'higher power' is won't block you from the help it can provide.

AA is for people who can't stop drinking through other methods. It's really as simple as that. The book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' is available for free online (.pdf)..you may want to give it a read(start at the beginning)...might clear up some things for you. It's the only real advice I can give...I think you mentioned you have a friend that goes, maybe talk to him(her).

If you find yourself reading it and having questions (the language can be a bit tricky, since it was written in 1939), post them here or on the 12-step forum. It can't hurt, I promise you that much.

All the best,

~A
Old 01-04-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
AA isn't so much about religion. Your misunderstanding of what a 'higher power' is won't block you from the help it can provide.

AA is for people who can't stop drinking through other methods. It's really as simple as that. The book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' is available for free online (.pdf)..you may want to give it a read(start at the beginning)...might clear up some things for you. It's the only real advice I can give...I think you mentioned you have a friend that goes, maybe talk to him(her).

If you find yourself reading it and having questions (the language can be a bit tricky, since it was written in 1939), post them here or on the 12-step forum. It can't hurt, I promise you that much.

All the best,

~A
So i don't have to worry about beliefs being pushed or emphasized on me?? cause i don't have a problem what so ever with people choosing to be religeous and spiritual, it just bothers me when beliefs are forced up on me. I'll check out that reading though.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Patsfan - I'm not a religious person but I have enjoyed my AA experience and for me it's working.
Here's my take on AA so far - 8 meetings and I have another one tonight.
I love my Friday night meeting, average age - probably 28, a lot of newbies.

Anyway, yes there are a lot of religious people and you can probably expect them to end the meeting with the Lord's Prayer, but traditions vary from meeting to meeting. It was a little weird for me at first; besides weddings and funerals, I don't think I've been in a church in the last 10yrs, so hearing the prayer threw me at first.
Funny enough, my first AA meeting was in a church!

You may hear people talk about their "higher power". Now here's the beauty of that, your "HP" can be whatever works for you. The best explanation I heard was, for some, their "HP" is God, for others it's just the power of the collective group. A group of alcoholics, sticking together to stay sober (which fits me just fine).

Go check out a meeting, you have nothing to lose. Just sit and listen. Their not going to dunk you in a river yelling "your saved". Their not going to brainwash you or tie you in a chair.

Someone with a lot more sobriety and experience than me, said to use the "take what you need approach". Which also is working for me. I like listening to everyone share their stories and enjoy the guest speakers. Add in the fact that I now have people I can turn to for advice and use as a sounding board and I'm sold.

I may take some heat for this post but that's my honest take on my experience so far.

Last edited by Omega Man; 01-04-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Curious about AA meetings?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

Think of meetings as classrooms for a
healthy productive future.
Just go and listen.