Notices

Liquor commercials

Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

My husband & I were just talking about that last night. How all the commercials for alcohol always make it look like so much fun. He said how they never mention the killer hangover the next day, or the dui, or the wrecked car, or the lost marriage, etc., etc.

I find all of the side effects of the drugs quite amusing myself. I am always laughing at those. Most of them seem to cure ONE thing but give you FIVE OR MORE other things to worry about. I think I will settle for dealing with the one thing I had in the first place.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What always makes me laugh is at the end of the commercials when they say, "Drink responsibly". HAHAHAHAHA If Only!!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe it's because the economy tanking? Booze is one of the last things that people cut back on consuming in an economic downturn.

But there's not much growth in consumption and so there's more competition between alcohol brands, and so more advertising so companies can keep their share of the market.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ahhhh, nothing finer than a Colt Fan in Alabama is another Colt Fan in Alabama. HAppy Holidays to all!

Yes, more booze commericals of course, perfect marketing fodder!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Taz -that's the fun part. You take drug A for problem A, and then you take drug B to deal with side effects of drug A, then drug C to deal with the side effects of drug B and on and on.
I'm trying to see how many I can link together.
Way too much time on my hands, so glad to be back to work on Wed.
Jeez, this is EXACTLY why I do not want to rely on some other drug - antidepressant, campral or whatever - to keep me sober. I am OK doing what you have to do to get through detox and withdrawals, but I'll be darned if I am going to switch to some other substance.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Jeez, this is EXACTLY why I do not want to rely on some other drug - antidepressant, campral or whatever - to keep me sober. I am OK doing what you have to do to get through detox and withdrawals, but I'll be darned if I am going to switch to some other substance.
Just to clarify...anti-depressants are not used to keep people sober. They are used to treat depression. They do not create a high, buzz, and are not a happy pill. I realize that there are people who do not understand chemical depression and are of the belief that by working a recovery program all depression will be resolved if the program is worked right. Trying to get someone who has not experienced a chemical depression to understand it is like trying to get a normal drinker to understand the alcoholic. It is extremely difficult.

The AA program was and is a great tool for helping relieve situational depression (non chemical) but it does not and can not change how the body produces brain chemicals. Therefore it does not relieve chemical depression. Please do not classify anti-depressant medications as something negative in recovery as they can and do mean the difference between life and death for many people in recovery.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Judith,
Thanks for the above post. I am not a depressive, but I work with alcoholics who are. Hopefully you have clarified this issue to some here on this forum.
Jim
Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

dg -
I"m purty sure anyone having an erection for four hours we'll not have to call a doc - they'd have to call the undertaker!

And ps everyone thought the Pats were unbeatable LAST year when .. oh YEAH .. The COLTS won the superbowl!!!!
so there.

don't be dissin' my Pay-Pay....
Old 01-02-2008, 03:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
Just to clarify...anti-depressants are not used to keep people sober. They are used to treat depression. They do not create a high, buzz, and are not a happy pill. I realize that there are people who do not understand chemical depression and are of the belief that by working a recovery program all depression will be resolved if the program is worked right. Trying to get someone who has not experienced a chemical depression to understand it is like trying to get a normal drinker to understand the alcoholic. It is extremely difficult.

The AA program was and is a great tool for helping relieve situational depression (non chemical) but it does not and can not change how the body produces brain chemicals. Therefore it does not relieve chemical depression. Please do not classify anti-depressant medications as something negative in recovery as they can and do mean the difference between life and death for many people in recovery.
Amen, I am not on them, but my wife (Non-Alcoholic) and 2 of my daughters are.