Notices

Anyone read this one?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone read this one?

I just finished reading a book called My Way Out, by Roberta Jewell. I was very disappointed. I did not pay attention to it content before I bought it. I seen it had nutrition and supplementation information and thought it would give me some extra tools for sobriety. I did not know the lady who wrote it had a goal of being able to drink in moderation not abstain. Although it does state many times that for some abtinence is best. It was not what I was looking for. I know the only solution for me is total abstinence (from alcohol). I think a book like this could be dangerous if an alcoholic read it and thought they could drink in moderation. My opinion for what it's worth.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No, I have not. Thanks for letting us know.

The book that I read that made the most inpact
early on for me is
"Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcheam.

It has an eating plan to follow tht worked super for me.

We do have excerpts here as a sticky post
but not the eating or nutritional chapter.

Also...there is a sequel
Beyond The Influence" by Ketcham

Both can usually be found on Amazon.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol. I have read under the influence twice it is a great book. I have not read beyond the influence yet. I was thinking of reading the big book next. I love to read (when I'm sober). Yet another thing I love lost if I don't remain sober.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

For what's it's worth, Roberta Jewell is a pen name.

I do know that there was a woman in WA state a few years ago that was pushing the idea of controlling drinking for "heavy drinkers", etc. She had her little world of justification to keep drinking, which didn't work. She got arrested for a DUI. It was on Fox news.

I agree, it's a very dangerous idea. It's like telling a serial killer, it's OK as long you only do it once a year.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well...
If anyone is interested in Moderation Management
Here is a link to their site for facts

Moderation Management
the one group that deals with moderate drinking;
useful for the guidelines:
Moderation Management

As to the founder of MM
she had left MM prior to the tragic accident
that sent her to prison.

It's a years old news story ...
I'll see if I can find the facts on that too.

Last edited by CarolD; 12-29-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dan....Please take a look at the back of "under"
for the eating plan I used.

I am so tickled you too find it's a interesting read.
The info there convinced me to quit.
I give copies to my AA sponsees

Forward we go..side by side
Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile Response

Hi, Roberta Jewell here (and yes, it is a pen name for reasons I will explain.)

I wouldn’t normally do this, but when your post appeared under one of my Google search results, I really felt I needed to respond. Clearly, my skin has grown thick over the past couple of years and I’ve learned to live with accusations that are not true. However, I would like to set the record straight on a couple of points because I’m concerned this sort of thing prevents alcoholics from considering a therapy that has been very helpful to many people. And that’s what this book, and the forum associated with it, have done for thousands of individuals. So I feel the characterization above is quite unfair.

Tkan, I’m sorry you didn’t find the book helpful and I respect your opinion that some people simply cannot moderate their drinking. I’m very clear about this in the book (in fact, I am now abstinent myself.) What we have found is that many alcoholics simply will not seek help when faced with the prospect of total abstinence. Nor will they consider attending 12-step meetings, in-patient treatment or other traditional approaches.

What they *will* often do is tackle the problem in stages and begin the road to recovery in the privacy of their own home. Once they reduce their alcohol intake, a clarity develops that often leads to enhanced periods of sobriety and ultimately, abstinence. We encourage members in our forum to seek medical treatment and to adopt a multi-faceted approach that includes nutritional supplementation, dietary changes, hypnotherapy or other forms of guided imagery/relaxation, exercise, and—if appropriate—anti-craving medication. We have found this blended approach very effective and this is the foundation of my book. For some reason, the message gets lost in the political debate about allowing moderated drinking. (Many of our members have successfully reduced their drinking to reasonable levels, but the majority find abstinence is the most safe and appropriate approach.) We support both choices. We also support any and all tools to help that individual achieve his or her goal: face to face meetings, in-patient treatment, holistic therapies, etc. We view alcohol addiction as a complex condition of the mid-brain, often, with underlying emotional issues that must be addressed. We also believe it must be treated just liked diabetes or other lifelong, progress diseases.

CarolD: For those who haven’t read them, the books you recommend are excellent. I can tell you that before I wrote mine, I think I read every published book on addiction. I had tried for 20 years to “fix” this problem but could not. My research led me to addiction theories and therapies from both traditional and non-traditional medicine. I felt intuitively if I were to combine various approaches (medicine, nutrition, exercise, etc.) I would have a much better chance of gaining control over my addiction. I never planned to write a book but after “sneaking” the information out and observing similar success with others I felt compelled to do so. A number of physicians encouraged me, as well.

Omega Man: Yes, Roberta Jewell is a pen name. I was advised by a close physician friend to tread carefully when I took this project on. He told me I would be dealing with a very volatile population. What I have learned, particularly as administrator of our forum, is that it is a wonderful population but there is, indeed, great volatility involved. I have received hate mail and threats here at home (and I have children so this concerns me.) As you have done in your post, I have been compared to a serial killer and Audrey Kirchner, who founded Moderation Management, but was in AA when she got behind the wheel drunk and careened down an interstate, killing two innocent people. This kind of feedback is painful, but I understand it comes with the territory. And it is balanced, I suppose, by the many success stories I hear every single day.

This is longer than I intended. I simply hoped to correct a few inaccuracies here. I do understand how they come about, but I hate to see them propagated. I think the Sober Recovery forum is fabulous and have visited as a guest occasionally. I wish you all well and I thank you for reading.

Roberta Jewell

Last edited by rjewell; 12-29-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

rjewel, thank you for the response. I am glad you clarified things. I am happy to see that you were able to find a method of recovery from this disease that works for you. Take care and welcome to SR.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Wow thanks for responding so helpful. Welcome to SR!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi I am new here and read Roberta Jewell's book. I found it very helpful, especially when looking for different alternatives. I followed her advice with Kudzu, Lglut and also GABA and other things. The CD's worked well for me. I have come a long way from a year ago with her advice. You may want to check it out!

On her website there is a community similiar to this one that is very supportive.

I think this place is great too from what I have been reading. We are all in such similiar situations it makes this beast seem not so overbearing.

Glad to be here and hope I can check in. I have kids who are young and finding spare time is really hard.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I guess my biggest question is if someone is truely an alcoholic they lose that voice that is responsible for moderation. I mean, isn't that really the problem? If they could moderate I don't think there would be a problem. I'm not asking to inflame, I'm really just trying to understand. I guess I should read more of the book to get a better take on the angle
Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree totally with you. Many people don't even want to admit they are an alcoholic and need to take baby steps. So they try moderation and then realize that doesn't work. So then they abstain and realize that is the course they need to take.

It's really scary to think of never drinking again but if you take it in steps it's much more manageable.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going cold turkey could kill you if you have been drinking for extended periods of time

OK when I reached out was when I realized my drinking was affecting myself and my children, big time. I found RJ's site and it turned my life around.

Now I have found this site as well. I am hoping that both together keep me from falling back in the holes of alcohol.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Moderation to me is like the junkie in charge of the medicine cabinet...but I haven't read the book in question....

D
Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I was unable to control my drinking using a moderation method. I always wound up in worse shape than I was to start with but that does not mean that it does not work for some people. For me to deal with my alcoholism I had to stop completely, there was not half way. The only way I was able to do that and not be insane was through AA. My thoughts are if moderation works for you great, but if it doesn't then please find help through another method as no one deserves to live the life of an active alcoholic.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Haven't read the book in question, the only book I have read on revovery is a big blue book. I have to agree with nandm, that my recovery started in aa. You see my problem centers in my mind rather than my body. I know I can't drink in moderation, so for me it is total abstinence, but how to do that. My goofy mind left to my own devices will always tell me it is okay to have one.

I grew up around the program of aa, dad sbering up when I was very young, yet it still took me 25 years of drinking to figure it out. My mind screws me everytime. Imho anything that tells an alcoholic, a real alcoholic like me of the hopeless variety that a change in diet or a pill or anything else short of a personality change will fix them is propaganda.

Sorry if I seem kinda harsh or speak out of turn, but remember we are talking about peoples lives here, whether it is the alkie or the innocent victims.

Oh gotta go meeting is about to start.

Scoty
Old 12-29-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post Rjewel..

IMO - other methods may work for a problem drinker. But the true alcoholic (using AA definition) and notion that they may be able to someday moderate is a reservation in itself and will lead back to drinking, start the craving and we all know where it could go from there.

Years ago..I had a family member who was going to an outpatient treatment and there was a 'family night' where we went and learned a little bit about his problem (not alcohol), what it does to the body etc etc- I am sure many here are familiar with the family support that recovery centers offer (if we could just control an addicts environment just right, they might be ok - haha)

Anyhow - there was a mother and two daughters in that meeting. Their father was inpatient and had almost died from drinking a few weeks earlier. He had been sober for 10 years before reading a book (I don't know if it was yours or not), but somehow he read this book and tried to moderate. It cost him his family (they were all moving out of state from what was said in that meeting), and almost his life. It has stuck out in my mind for over 11 years (this is long before I even thought drinking may be a problem for me) how upset the wife was with this 'book' that had got into her husbands head.

I don't blame the book he read. This man never surrendered completely, and almost died (he may have of since) because of it.

Reservations will kill a true alcoholic. A problem drinker - maybe not (they can stop or moderate if sufficient reason becomes operative in their life).
Old 12-29-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
CurlyQ
NotPowerless
Sober...Finally
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you

I appreciate the warm welcome to your forum, as well as everyone’s generous and candid feedback.

Again--and respectfully--I have to say I'm interested to see the conversation has turned to that of moderation versus abstinence rather than a discussion about how we are now able to offer alcoholics new therapeutic options. I’m not saying this to be critical, but only to introduce what I feel is much more meaningful to everyone here. It was my sole reason for writing the book. I understand that AA has been immensely helpful to an awful lot of people and I think that's great. Many of our members attend local meetings in conjunction with "MWO" and I always go out of my way to explain that the two are not mutually exclusive. However, I believe we have to respect those who simply will not attend 12-step meetings or enter an in-patient program. They still need help.

We now have new tools and a whole new approach. That’s what this is about. The therapy we advocate is multi-faceted and, when followed, has been effective for many alcohol dependent individuals, whether they choose controlled drinking or complete abstinence. It’s absolutely true that drinkers are found all along the spectrum, from early to late stage, depending on their level of craving, physical dependence, tolerance, and loss of control. For all of them we work on targeting the biochemical, behavioral, and physiological reasons they drink. We provide tons of support. And we help release them of the shame and stigma associated with this devastating condition.

Obviously, nobody's figured out a cure for this. But if we explore new therapies with an open mind and view addiction treatment using a medical model, I hope we’ll get there a whole lot faster.

Thanks again.

RJ

p.s.: Sugerspun: sorry, not my book! From what you described, that individual would be poorly suited for moderation. I outline parameters in the book, as well as risks of moderated drinking.