Notices

First Time Posting - My Story

Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sbp

First Time Posting - My Story

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this site for a few months now. I think its such a great forum. The simple fact that I found this forum pretty much lets me know I have a drinking problem. I finally decided to register and start posting.
I'm 25 years old and I don't want my life to revolve around alcohol like my father's entire life has.

My story sounds very similar to alot of your's from the readings I've done.

I started drinking when I was about 16 years old in high school just on weekends and for fun. In University drinking was a weekend event. Almost every weekend. I was a University Varisty athelete where drinking with your teammates was an expected thing. We would drink till we passed out every weekend. I always had major problems with drinking way too much. Blackouts were commonplace for me. Waking up and no having a clue what happened the night before.

Once I began working after Graduating I convinced myself to stay off the booze and I did for almost 6 months. Mind you during that time I started taking alot of Tylenol 3's and was becoming addicted to the Codeine in these pills. I can admit that I have an addictive personality. I'm the kind of person who does something all out. So if were drinking, I'll be drinking like crazy, etc. Doesn't seem to matter the activity but I can get addicted to it. I even became addicted to the natural high's of working out and playing competitive sports because of the rush.

Anyways after having had given up alcohol for 6 months, one day I had a beer while watching sports with my dad. One beer lead to 20 beers and then next you know I'm getting drunk every weekend again like I did in school. My father is the type of man who loves sports and loves to drink beer while watching sports. The sad thing is my father and I get along very well when were both drinking but when I'm sober and he's drinking we don't get along at all.

I decided last month that I would be sober until christmas. Now don't ask me why I chose x-mas. On Nov 25th of this year, I made a calender with 30 days to x-mas. I would not drink on those 30 days. Well I made it, each mourning I would stroke off a day. 30,29,28,27......etc etc all the way down to Christmas day. Well let me tell you I was blind drunk the 25th, 26th, 27th of December.

I sit here tonight and wonder why do that to myself ? I had done 30 days without much trouble and of course went crazy drinking. I know I have a problem with alcohol because once I start, I just want more and more booze. Doesn't matter what kind of booze. Beer is good, liquor is great, wine is good, once I start its more, more, more.

So here I am tonight back sober, trying to drink lots of water and get the alcohol out of my system. Something made me Register tonight and Start posting. I'm tired of this ******** drinking causes my life. I'm tired of seeing myself turning into my father. I'm still a young man and have my whole life ahead of me. I want to do it without alcohol or any other substance. I hate who I become when I'm abusing alcohol.

I look forward to meeting all you guys and getting sober for good.

Take Care for now. Talk to you all soon.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you have made a wise decision!
You too can have a healthy productive future!

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Welcome sbp No shortage of recovery here. In fact, the more of us there are, the more there seems to be.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be proud of the 30 days you accomplished, and move forward from the binge weekend. I think everyone here has had to "not beat myself up" because of overindulging. It's why we are here helping eachother.

Start anew, feel better and stay feeling better.

And be careful setting long term goals, as you did. Take it one day at a time. I don't even keep exact track of how many days because it makes me think about drinking too much. I know about where I'm at and I try to stay where I am, if that makes sense.

Welcome to SR
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Looking forward to walking the path of recovery with you here.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sbp.

It sounds like you are ready to make some changes in your life. Change can be a day by day thing.. If you can stay sober for 1 day, you can recover.

That's how I stay sober...one day at a time. Some days are tough, but it gets better with time.

You had 6 months before, and you can do it again. It gets easier if you get the alcohol out of your system.

I'm an alcoholic. I get the terrible cravings that you spoke about when I drink. When I still drank, the cravings drove me to drink more and more and more....unitll I was done. I had no guarentee about how much I would drink after I took the first one. After the first drink, my drinkng became compulsive.

It progressed to the point where I drank all day every day. Believe me, it wasn't that bad when I was 25. By the time I hit 30, the line between "functional" and "dysfunctional" was blurred. I was fully dependent on alcohol to feel "normal". It got to the point where there was no joy left in my drinking, and I was using it as "medicine"... I had to drink to survive.

It was hard for me to get sober because the other part of my disease is obsessive thinking. When I managed to stay away from the first drink...I would obsess over drinking. The thoughts drove me crazy.

Alcoholism is a horrible affliction... I was either drinking myself sick, or obsessing over it. Alcoholism is progressive. It always gets worse. It can either end with death, institution or abstainence.

I eventually found some relief from the program of AA. I've now been sober 27 months. Also, the obsession has been lifted!! This is a miracle for me. There are many days now when I don't even think about drinking. The old thoughts, cravings and obsession rarely cross my mind these days.

This took some work for me. I had to surrender. I had to ask for help. I had to become vulurnable. I needed to be humbled.

Recovery is possible. You are not alone.
chip
Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 12-29-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
You will find much support and friendship here .
I look forward to your posts

HUGX
Leigh
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi and Welcome! How wonderful for you to look for sobriety so young! You can spare yourself so much pain...I chuckled to myself at the line "each mourning I would stroke off a day. 30,29,28,27" do you see the freudian slip 'mourning'? See for me I did that every year for 2-3 months after another DISASTROUS festive season and I was in mourning! It was only when I found the support and program of AA that I fully embraced sobriety and it was a joy morning! Keep posting, keep reading...and I'd recommend reading the big book of alcoholics which is available online google it, some great stories - lots of experience strength and hope. Hope to see you around a lot more!
Cathy31
x
Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sbp

Originally Posted by chip View Post
Welcome to SR sbp.

It sounds like you are ready to make some changes in your life. Change can be a day by day thing.. If you can stay sober for 1 day, you can recover.

That's how I stay sober...one day at a time. Some days are tough, but it gets better with time.

You had 6 months before, and you can do it again. It gets easier if you get the alcohol out of your system.

I'm an alcoholic. I get the terrible cravings that you spoke about when I drink. When I still drank, the cravings drove me to drink more and more and more....unitll I was done. I had no guarentee about how much I would drink after I took the first one. After the first drink, my drinkng became compulsive.

It progressed to the point where I drank all day every day. Believe me, it wasn't that bad when I was 25. By the time I hit 30, the line between "functional" and "dysfunctional" was blurred. I was fully dependent on alcohol to feel "normal". It got to the point where there was no joy left in my drinking, and I was using it as "medicine"... I had to drink to survive.

It was hard for me to get sober because the other part of my disease is obsessive thinking. When I managed to stay away from the first drink...I would obsess over drinking. The thoughts drove me crazy.

Alcoholism is a horrible affliction... I was either drinking myself sick, or obsessing over it. Alcoholism is progressive. It always gets worse. It can either end with death, institution or abstainence.

I eventually found some relief from the program of AA. I've now been sober 27 months. Also, the obsession has been lifted!! This is a miracle for me. There are many days now when I don't even think about drinking. The old thoughts, cravings and obsession rarely cross my mind these days.

This took some work for me. I had to surrender. I had to ask for help. I had to become vulurnable. I needed to be humbled.

Recovery is possible. You are not alone.
chip

Thanks alot Chip. Alot of what you said I can relate too. When I'm not drinking, I spend alot of time thinking and obsessing about it too. It sure is a messed up drug. I feel good today. I'm sober and doing alright. I'm leaving the booze alone but like Rimmy mentioned I'm trying not to worry about the days. Just take it one day at a time and try to live in the now.

I know that at 25 years of age my problems with alcohol have not progressed nearly as far as they surely will if I continue to abuse it. I just want to wake up and not have to think about drinking anymore. Hopefully that day will come.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sbp

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me with open arms. It means alot. I will say that my biggest obstacle with alcohol appears to be my father and friends. My father is what you would call the functional alcoholic. He is in denial about his problems. He has drank 6-12 alcoholic beverages a day since I've been alive. According to my mother he has been doing that for more like 40 years straight. He thinks his drinking is under control but he's a terrible influence on me. For example buying me alcohol for b-days, holidays over the past 6-7 years. I live in Canada where the drinking age is 19 and we get started young over here. This X-mas I mentioned I went on a huge drinking binge after 30 days of sobriety. As a X-mas gift I got a bottle of Rye, case of beer and some wine. Worst gifts ever for me. I told my father yesterday I never wanted him to buy me alcohol as gifts ever again. His reaction was that of disbelief, like I wasn't serious. I told him again I was very serious. Then my father says to me just becuase I buy you alcohol as a gift doesn't mean you have to drink it all at once. LOL its almost funny to me that one alcoholic is giving gifts of alcohol to another and giving me advice on how to drink it in moderation. If 6-12 drinks daily for 40 years is moderation that I'm going crazy.

I have lost freinds in the past because I chose not to get drunk and party as well. It sad to my how many of my friends and relatives lives revolve around going for drinks or picking up beer for the game.

How have you guys managed to keep old friends that are drinkers ???
I don't want to drink anymore but some of my friends are still good people and I still love my father despite his drinking.
How do I get along with them and stay sober myself ?

Thanks Everyone again for the warm welcome to SR.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sbp View Post

I have lost freinds in the past because I chose not to get drunk and party as well. It sad to my how many of my friends and relatives lives revolve around going for drinks or picking up beer for the game.

I don't want to drink anymore but some of my friends are still good people and I still love my father despite his drinking.

First, that's a tough deal with your dad. I grew up with Pina Colada Sunday yard clean ups, and Michelob come to work with Dad days. Your responsibility isn't about your dad though, it's about you.

Regarding friends, I am in the same boat. I am newly sober again, and my wife drinks. My friends all drink and my wife invited them all over for New Years Eve. My neighbor's stop by unnanounced with their wine in hand... it's normal because I've allowed it. But now, it's about my priorities and who I NEED to be so I CAN be HAPPY with myself. I don't have an answer exactly for this one.

My thinking though is this: When I first met my wife 15 going on 16 years ago, I knew she was for me. But because of her, I lost some friends. Life was about MY/OUR time, not my buddies time. And it was worth it (MOSTLY he he )

I think the same can go for sobriety. You may lose a few friends along the way, but the ones that are true friends arn't gonna care. And you got the hard part because you gotta watch them drink and deny your urges to join in... it's HARD... but the good friends should realize that and help you, not hinder you.

Hang in there!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sbp

Originally Posted by Rimmy View Post
First, that's a tough deal with your dad. I grew up with Pina Colada Sunday yard clean ups, and Michelob come to work with Dad days. Your responsibility isn't about your dad though, it's about you.

Regarding friends, I am in the same boat. I am newly sober again, and my wife drinks. My friends all drink and my wife invited them all over for New Years Eve. My neighbor's stop by unnanounced with their wine in hand... it's normal because I've allowed it. But now, it's about my priorities and who I NEED to be so I CAN be HAPPY with myself. I don't have an answer exactly for this one.

My thinking though is this: When I first met my wife 15 going on 16 years ago, I knew she was for me. But because of her, I lost some friends. Life was about MY/OUR time, not my buddies time. And it was worth it (MOSTLY he he )

I think the same can go for sobriety. You may lose a few friends along the way, but the ones that are true friends arn't gonna care. And you got the hard part because you gotta watch them drink and deny your urges to join in... it's HARD... but the good friends should realize that and help you, not hinder you.

Hang in there!
Thanks for your response Rimmy. Your situation sounds very tough as well. I can't imagine how hard that is when friends show up with wine in hand to your house. It'd be nice to think that one's own home was a safe zone.

Its crazy to me how our family and friends bring us gifts of alcohol which is a serious drug. The world we live in has made alcohol abuse so common. We use alcohol and food to show love to others over B-days, holidays, x-mas, thanksgiving, etc, etc. Then we wonder why millions of people have alcohol problems and why so many people are overweight with a grocery list of health problems.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

QUOTE]

Hi again sbp,
I'm going to try and answer your questions. This is only what I've experienced. I wouldn't say it's right for everyone else, but it works for me.

My wife still drinks, and sometimes she drinks a bit much. We used to party together. For a while after I got clean and sober, she still smoked pot as well. This was very difficult for me.

I work in the bar biz. I'm the only person I know in the biz who doesn't drink. I go to management conferences and trade shows and I've never met anybody who doesn't drink. This can be very difficult for me.

Much of my work life is spent in bars and restaurants. I purchase large amounts of product that I sell at the bar where I work. This doesn't bother me so much, but it did when I first stopped drinking.

My old friends drink. Often, my wife and I will go to partys and events where I'm the only non-drinker. This can also be difficult for me. When I first stopped drinking, I still got gifts of booze from some people. Actually, this Christmas I got a gift of a case of beer from a sales rep. I know....

When I get gifts of booze, I re-gift them to friends and family who drink. I look at it as savings for me... presents for others that I don't have to buy myself.

Alcohol is a VERY important thing in our society. It's important for the ecconomy. It's central to social life in many circles. I can't expect to have a life where I don't have to be around it. I had to learn how to tolerate other peoples decisions regarding it's use. It's important for me to have the ability to function socially in circles that embrace heavy drinking.

How do I cope?
- I've met several non-drinking friends in AA. This is a nice balance for me. It's a relief to hang out with other people who are in recovery. AA is a wonderful oasis in a world that just doesn't understand me... When I feel like I'm going crazy with all the drinking around me, it's awsome to have an opportunity to go to a meeting and hang out with other people who have the same struggles. Feeling like I'm alone is a very low place for me... AA has really helped me by providing me with a social network of other non-drinkers who understand.
- I spend considerable time working on my attitudes.
- I look at booze for what it is to me...POISON. I wouldn't go into a wood shop and drink a bottle of turpintine...so why would I drink booze at a bar?
- I don't go into a bar unless I have legitimate business being there.
- I keep a very professional attitude at work and work related business.
- I try not to think about the booze my wife has in our home. I try not to track it or even think about it. The longer I stay sober, the less of an issue this has become for me.
- I spend considerable time each day working on my recovery. If my thoughts are tuned into living a good sober life...temptation doesn't get to me.
- I always plan an "escape route" ahead of time when I have to go somewhere where there is lots of drinking going on. I often "slip away" when things start to get wild at a party or an event.
- I read a book called "Living Sober" early on in my recovery. It has practical tips on how to deal with other people drinking...
- I pray every morning and ask God for the strength to stay sober for the day.
- I thank God every night for another sober day.
- I detatch myself from my wife's drinking. I accept that this is what she wants to do. If if bothers me, I stay away.
- I remind myself that I AM THE ALCOHOLIC, and others can do as they please. Letting it bother me only hurts me...they don't feel my discomfort. I try and look past other people's habits and focus on their good points.
- I make an effort to focus on the positive side of everything and everybody.
- I've drifted away from my old "party crowd". When I first quit drinking, I was worried about losing these friends. It turns out that they kept going without me, and I'm not missed anyway.

I don't know if this will help you or not. If you have a chance to pick up a copy of "living sober", I think you may find it's useful reading.
chip

p.s.
Quitting drinking is a very hard thing to do if you are an alcoholic like me... You deserve a pat on the back for your decision. Keep up the good work!!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Chip took the words right out of my mouth. I could not say anything to improve on the suggestions he gave.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi sbp. unfortunatly I can not be of much help to you but I just wanted to give you a warm welcome.
Why cant I help you, you may be wondering?...because I never ever drunk at social events, being those weddings, b'days or wathever so that would not be a trigger to me.
But leave me alone at home with some alcohol and THAT would be a trigger.
I always was a "closet drinker".Have been sober now 4 years and really enjoying life.
I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your journey. Love to all
Swamijapa
Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Welcome to the forum SBP! I really think this place is a great forum to come to and meet new ppl and have some accountablity. I agree, you are young, how wonderful you have found us. How great it would be to not have to wake up w/ a hangover every morning from here on out! Glad you found us. keep posting and keep reading.

blessings, Sheila
Old 12-31-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR sbp, you sound like me at your age except I really did not view my drinking as a problem then, I got a whole lot worse before I finally wised up. If you really want to stop now that is awesome, I drank away a lot of years and almost drank to the point of no return.

One day at a time is the way to go, one day is easier to deal with. I found that in order to stay stopped and be happy about doing it I had to change me, I tried many times to quit on my own and the way I always did it was to simply stop drinking!

I was always miserable, all I did was think about drinking instead of working on changing the person I was who drank to a new me who did not drink because there was no need to drink, life sober was way to good to even dream about messing it up by drinking.

I found happy sobriety like millions of others have in AA, there are other programs that work for others, but AA is the one that worked for me. If things get tough staying stopped look at different programs, keep in mind that no program will work unless you work the program, in AA we have found that half measures availed us nothing, so if you pick a program do it all the way.