Notices

it's time I let those in AA have an ear full

Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

it's time I let those in AA have an ear full

I think Ive decided what I like so much about this place. It is the diversity of people. To all of you in AA I have to admit I used to get aggrivated at you all because of how passionately ya'll would talk about AA. I realize now that had to do with my pride telling me I did not need anyone to help me. Now I find myself admiring ya'll for your passion. I can't help but wonder, how many people have been convinced to check out AA as a result? How many people live sober and happy lives as a result. My hat's off to you folks. I admire not only your passion but your patience with those that are prideful like me. Thanks for being here, saying this place would not be the same with out you would be an understatement. :ghug3
Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Tk you get "it" exactly when you are suppose to get "it" and not one moment sooner, lol. "It" of course being the 'understanding' the 'enlightment' of ones self, etc.

As to AA, yes it has helped many, and it has helped many to move on with their lives and live sober and happy lives, doing the things that most folks do, just without alcohol.

It takes time, but whether its AA, SMART, REBT or any one of a number of other programs for recovery, the 'trick' with all of them is commitment and lots of hard work on the individuals part.

I ranted, raved, screamed, kicked, pouted, cried, and laughed those first few years in AA, but the most important thing was I didn't drink. Didn't always want to do what was strongly suggested, many times did it kicking and screaming, but I did do it, whatever it was at the moment. And the funny thing was is after I finally got over my temper tantrum of the moment and followed through on the suggestion, I felt better.

So.................................keep posting, let us know how you are doing, because we do care. We have been where you are. I don't know of any alkies that came through the doors of AA skipping and singing and laughing. Most of the folks I know, came in either kicking and screaming or crawling.

Hang in there, you're coming along and you'll get it, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 12-28-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I still havn't been to a meeting, but you all praise it so highly. Is it what fills that empty spot that nobody else in your life cares to hear about?

I have SOOOO much in my head and it's not anything to share with the people I know.

I might try writing.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rimmy View Post
I still havn't been to a meeting, but you all praise it so highly. Is it what fills that empty spot that nobody else in your life cares to hear about?

I have SOOOO much in my head and it's not anything to share with the people I know.

I might try writing.
Meetings are not a place evacuate ourselves of all this 'stuff' that comes up. It's a place to celebrate the miracle of recovery, a place to build fellowship and most importantly, a place where someone with a problem can come to get help.

I doubt very much there is something you could share ( the stuff in your head) that would suprise me - but then again, I have thought I heard it all before.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by tkdan View Post
I can't help but wonder, how many people have been convinced to check out AA as a result?
Reading this forum (and talking to others) convinced my that AA is a viable way to combat my drinking.

I have only been to 4 meetings and recent comments (directly & indirectly) in this forum honestly made the whole idea of going to AA less intimidating. Pushed me over the edge so to speak! These comments really changed some of my preconceived notions like: once I attend a meeting I'm committed (doomed?) for life, all they talk about is God, I'm unique, the world will be shocked if they find out I attend AA meetings, etc. I'm attending these meetings with a much more open mind.

I just try not to blow it out of proportion. I have a drinking problem. I haven't been able to fix it on my own. I'm giving AA a shot.

BTW, for me, the meetings have been good. Nice to not feel so alone & I am learning stuff. Nothing wrong with that I suppose!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I'm unique

HA! Exactly

Aren't we all!

Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR is what pushed me to go to a meeting as well. I asked the question "if you were in my shoes, what would you do?" The overwhelming response was go to AA, I didn't really know where else to turn so I tried it. I really like it, the hardest part was walking through the doors for the first time.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

AA has given me 8 plus glorious years of life that I didn't have before I walked into those meetings. I still chuckle when some of the things that happen in AA occur, but it was better and still is than the life I had before.

WARNING: AA is composed of drunks, misfits, and people who are a little off center, but these are my kind of people. It has given me far more than I have been able to give back so I just keep going and trying to repay those who so freely gave to me.

As one of my old timer friends says, "If you aren't satisfied we will cheerfully refund your misery!" Try it, you may just like it.

Happy New Year no matter what your path may be.

Jon
Old 12-28-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA rules ... nuff said
Old 12-28-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for this thread....it's uplifting to see that SR
is benefiting so many members.

I started cyber recovery in '91 as a supplement to my
face to face AA program. It's been a fantastic addition
and I have grown so much in recovery utilizing the net.

Forward we go...side by side
Old 12-28-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Passionate about AA? Hell, yeah. It saved my life.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
HA! Exactly

Aren't we all!

but I think im more unique than everyone else
Old 12-28-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I first joined this SR I was kinda iffy about AA. I have been to sooo many meetings and never got much out of it. I just PM carol today saying how much this sight has changed my mind about AA. There is some wonderful caring people here. SR
Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I first came to AA people told me I would get brain washed, it tuned out all I needed was a light rinse!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AA gave me a life. What I had before was merely an existance. Now I must help others, which is more fulfilling than I could have ever know.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Tk ... I gotta be totally honest with ya ...

I went back to the Fellowship of AA ...
because I had no where else to go.

I had utterly destroyed my life.

I didn't have the luxury of having family or anything else.
No money. No job. No status. Nothing.

And I was accepted.
And I worked the program.
I did the steps, in order as written with a sponsor ...
... and I am alive.

I have a life.
I am happier now than I've been in fifteen years.
I drank for only five of those years.

My worst day sober has been better than my best day drunk.
That's no lie and no exaggeration.
Now that I'm sober enough to know it.

I don't really mind all the humphoing that goes on about AA because I know what it did for me. I don't really have much say about other people's lives .. as far as I know this is the only life I'm in charge of.

I do understand about some people being overenthusiastic - and I'm happy to see that you understand that it's not a brainwashing thing - it's a 'look what I found - why are you suffering when this is free and right here' thing.

I'm glad to see ya back dan.
So very many ... don't make it back.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the feed back. I actually called yesterday and got some times for meetings this weekend. But I left the list at work not on purpose though. Having a list of times and actually going to a meeting are not even close to the same thing. I don't know when I will make that step although things are pointing in that direction. I don't know why I did not do it when I hit one of my many bottoms. Maybe it was my pride. I think now it is the memory of those bottoms that are driving me to do something different. Today is day four sense my bonehead relapse. At least I go sick as a dog from it so it is not a pleasant memory. Sorry about the ramble I'm the only one up right now it is so peaceful before the three hurricanes wake up. Oh and Barb my thanks button was working fine till you started talking about yours not working so thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tkdan View Post
I'm the only one up right now it is so peaceful before the three hurricanes wake up.

LOL... thanks for giving me a smile today

I hope you are feeling better.. physically and emotionally. Hang in there
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Recovering alkies are my kind of people. By keeping company with them (however I do that) I have begun to have my eyes opened to some lifechanging things - and that process started in the rooms of AA.

January 1st - Happy New Year. Every day - Happy New Life.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

My good friend in AA said this evening (45 years sober) I still go to meetings because I have a ring side seat to miracles. It's so true, and I am so very grateful. TKDan,I hope you'll try giving the big book a read as you mentioned somewhere...it's really amazing...you'll see. And please let us know what you think about that - and about meetings
Cathy31
x