Notices

it's time I let those in AA have an ear full

Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It saved my life Tkdan. Of course I'm enthusiastic about it! I used to think that AA was fine for "those people".
Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tkdan I had heard of AA when I was drinking and thought "What a bunch of damn losers!!!"

You are not alone in the pride thing, man I was convinced that folks that went to AA were real losers , that they were weak, that they did not have the will power I had, they were not as smart as I was! I also thought they were a bunch of broke down old drunks that could not handle thier liquor any more. You name something totally out in left field like AA is a religion, or you have to beleive in God in order to be in AA and they were all brainwashed.

TKdan once I got into AA I found out that before I got into AA the only thing I knew about AA that was true was that an awful lot of alcoholics got and stayed sober via AA.

AA is not for everyone, but I know it worked for me because like millions of others over the years I worked the program, there are other programs out there that work if they are worked, but there are no programs out there that work without one working the program.

I owe my life to the program of AA, I hurt when I hear and see people suffering and struggling with the exact same problem I have that I have found a solution to and all I do is share what worked for me, it does not mean it will work for everyone, but it is the only success I have found that worked for me, I share the Experience, Strength, and Hope I found in the rooms of AA that was freely given to me in the hope that someone will be able to find what I have found in AA. If someone finds sobriety and happiness in another manner I support them whole heartedly.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks button not working so thanks all.
Taz I was wondering where you had been. This is the type of thread you are all over. I appreciate your input. I'm still in the process of talking myself into it. I'm not drinking, but I know none of my past attempts worked more than eleven months. I realize it is time to do something different. I used to have many thoughts about AA that you described. After listening to many of the people here tell there stories about AA my mind has changed. I don't think pride is keeping me back anymore, I think it is just a matter of taking that first step.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

tkdan, i too had preconceived ideas about AA

but i said to myself, try it, cant hurt

so i did, and its been fantastic, the people ive met and the warmth that they have for one another is just amazing

sometimes i just get a cup of coffee and chill out in the room sucking in all the other members experiences and advice

its way cool, and the funniest bunch of people, i always get a giggle

just try it, go on, nothing ventured.......:bounce
Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

tkdan I only post from work, I am busy at work usually for the first hour or so and then I just monitor the systems until something goes wrong.

I don't think pride is keeping me back anymore, I think it is just a matter of taking that first step.
That is all it is, that first step through those doors, try to remember as you open those doors for the first time to keep an open mind, there is a lingo to AA that newcomers can get very lost in, do not let it scare you, it is similar to a new job where you are hearing all these new acronyms and are totally lost, within a couple of weeks you will be picking up on things really quickly.

Once through those doors keep an open mind, if there is anything you do not understand just ask someone, we all remember that lost feeling of coming into our first meeting, just keep in mind that every person in that room walked through those doors just like you and trust me they have not forgotten that feeling.

No one walks through those doors wanting to, I walked through them because I knew I had to find a solution to my drinking problem or I was going to die. These folks knew me yet they had never met me. They knew how it felt to be totally baffled after deciding to quit drinking to suddenly find them selfs drunk again.

What amazed me the most was after I got settled in a little bit in the rooms of AA was for the first time in my life I was among a group of people where I fit in yet there were men and women, young and old, rich and poor, black, white, & yellow, Christian, Muslim, Athiest, Agnostics, lawyers, ministers, construction workers, Systems analyst, etc. we all had a common bond.

We had all been on a sinking ship and we were helping each other to stay alive, to live life.

I wish you and anyone else who reads this a Happy Sober New Year, I will be leaving here in just a few minutes.

TKdan I look forward to hearing about your first meeting, some how I have a feeling it is not to far off.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You may have heard of AA as the last house on the block.

I like to think of it as the first doorway to a life I could have never imagined.

It's not relegation. It's release.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

"just keep in mind that every person in that room walked through those doors just like you and trust me they have not forgotten that feeling."
Wow, that hit me hard.

I first went to an AA meeting more than 16 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

What I found were good people who actually cared about me!

You never need be alone again.

(I did leave the program and drink again but I am back now and have only ever been welcomed in AA.)
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Oh and Barb my thanks button was working fine till you started talking about yours not working so thanks.
Welcome!

Remember -

not a single person in AA got there ... because their lives were going well.
Not one.