Notices

I'm ready

Old 12-24-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm ready

Hi

25/m...drinking heavily almost every night since i turned 18...

there are lots of reasons to quit, but i've been consistently convinced to continue from family, friends, etc...i don't think all of them have a problem, but they certainly don't make mine any better...

i'll give more details if anyone asks a specific question, or once i warm up to this place more (i'm really shy)

anything is better than nothing right now, so thanks in advance

rdb3
Old 12-24-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

There you go, you got it. You made your decision and it doesn't matter what anyone else does, says or feels.

You have to want this for yourself first.

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Omega.

You're right, the decision is made. But the first part of my problem is that I have enablers that I can't remove myself from right now...that's why I'm here.

rdb3
Old 12-24-2007, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You need to be willing to be "enabled" before anyone can "enable" you. If you take the plunge into sobriety, you'll run into these people all the time. It will stop once they get the idea that you're serious about it and you'll end up with gobs of support from most of them.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pink,

I agree, and maybe I need more social advice than anything right now, but what if you're living with your dad (a full blown alcoholic) and you don't have the funds to relocated right now? Thanks...

rdb3
Old 12-24-2007, 11:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Watching your Dad might lead you to temptation or it might not. I don't know your Dad but I know a lot of active drinkers that admire me for doing something they can't seem to do themselves. It's going to take a lot as a newcomer to sobriety to gain the fitness that you may need to overcome this. It can be done and it has been done. There's a lot of us here that have active drinking partners if not all out Alcoholics. I'm one of them. I took a hardcore stance with my wife that you may not be able to do with your dad for any number of reasons, but there are members here that are going through this. Most of them seem to just do their thing while partners remain active. Whatever works best for you is what you need to do. You just do your thing and let Dad do his. It will all work out. Support of some sort is suggested in the form of A.A. or other type of interactive group. I get to A.A. myself. That's where you gain the spiritual fitness to deal with this type of thing that life hits you with from time to time.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi rbd3,
Mike in Boston. I had the opposite situation when I was 25. I was a full blown alcoholic and it was my dad that had to deal with me. I had no intention of quitting. I had some misery to get to! I'm glad you made your way here. If you can stop now, what a life you have ahead. It would be a great Christmas - or Hannukah - or Kwanzaa -or whatever - gift to yourself. Keep posting and think about giving some kind of recovery program a shot. I like AA, but there are lots out there.
Mike
Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Happy Holidays!

Keep posting...you too can find a
healthy sober way to live.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 12-25-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome rdb3
Getting sober can be tough. Congrats on your decision to seek out a better life. Have you considered AA or another recovery program? A support network really helps many of us, especially those of us who are around other practicing alcoholics. Having sober friends who you can share with will probably help you with your stuggles.

I hope you'll keep posting,
chip
Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My wife is a daily drinker. She won't open her first beer until 8 or 9 at night and will have anywhere from 3 - 7, depending on the night. I have two friends who live accross the street and they stop by two or three times a week ready to get loaded.

It hasn't been easy for me with alcohol always in the house / fridge but it is possible with the right attitude to not be tempted... or at least to not give into your temptations.

Keep seeking the better life.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

rdb3 welcome to SR, for me I had tremendous support in my immediate family, as others have shared, recovery is possible even with drinkers right in your face, but it is a whole lot easier hooking up with a bunch of sober people who know exactly how one feels. I find these folks in the rooms of AA any night I want to, we do things together and have a blast without a single drink.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone's support so far. I did not have a drink last night and I will not have a drink tonight. I've enlisted 3 of my non-partying, understanding, (smart) friends to support me on this and the new diet/exercise plan I'm undertaking as well. 1500-2000 calories a day I'll be missing from alcohol plus other changes I'm making...I'm excited
Old 12-26-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Maria

I too, have the problem with a drinking family and husband. Every occassion, holiday, evening, party, blah blah you name it. It's always about drinking. I have been raised this way and have been trying to break out of the pattern since i can remember.... way too long.... I talked to an old freind today that is sober now 10 years. He said the thing that helped him the most was finding out the root cause of 'why' he drinks. I like that idea. Finally finding out the 'why'.... Anybody out there have any suggestions on reading material??
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maria 5000 View Post
.... Anybody out there have any suggestions on reading material??
The book titled: Alcoholics Anonymous

You can get it at any AA meeting, or any book store (Fourth Edition is most readily available).