Notices

Well.......

Old 01-01-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There's only one direction to go.... forward. How you go forward is up to you. Keep up the positive attitude and congrats on a peaceful healthy New Years.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by shaktee View Post
One thing, that I'm having a lot of trouble with... is anger. I don't quite yet know why, but there is a lot of anger I have towards... well, pretty much everyone haha.. It's as if I blame them for everything that's wrong in life, instead of seeing the good things they do and the good people that they are. In reading some of the posts here, and especially in hearing some of the stories in AA it seems to me that many people relate to this. Guess I just wanted to know your experience with this.

I've not yet started the steps... I'm planning on starting the Big Book tonight. :ghug
Hi shaktee,

I really enjoyed reading your post and am responding to a couple of things. I believe my anger comes from perfectionism. I expect nothing but the best from myself and when I screw up something that I (used to) feel I could "control" like drinking I hate myself afterwards. I also get angry if someone does something that interferes with my perfect plans! I'm learning to accept that all I can really do is my best, that I will make mistakes, and that I cannot control the behaviour of others. Much less stressful!

I also wanted to suggest that you get a someone (sponsor) to guide you through the Big Book. I just started AA (5 meetings, only been through the first few chapters of the Big Book) and without a sponsor, some of the stuff I read would be tough to apply (Chapter 4 I find kind of hard to digest). But then again, maybe you will have no problem with it! While I find some the language to be a bit on the hokey side (it's an old book), the message is there.

By the way, I have visited Vancouver many times and I think it is an awesome city!

It sounds like you have so much to look forward to in life and you have a great attitude. Best wishes!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Shaktee!!!
Glad you're still fighting the good fight.
Denise
Old 01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Good luck on your first day!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Stunning, the steps are such a wonderful 'invention' and so freeing! None of this is easy despite an amazing program and wonderful people - however it GETS easier, and the result of the hard work is the promises! And they DO come true! SO SO worth it! Well done!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Shaktee sounds like things are starting to come together, as others suggested, get a sponsor, the best way to do it is to ask someone to be your temporary sponsor first, that way you have someone to rely upon to ask questions of and to get that initial guidance on without either of you having a long term commitment. A temporary sponsor is a huge help in finding a long term sponsor.

Just keep in mind that you did not develop a drinking problem overnight as a result you will not get sober overnight either, it takes time and patience. It took me 40 years of drinking to reach the point of needing/wanting to be sober, I wanted 10 years of sobriety when I first went to AA, but I have found that it takes time..... and time takes time!