Notices

Hey! I'm sober!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey! I'm sober!

I had a bit of a moment today. One of those aha! moments that make you appreciate what sobriety and support groups like this can do in your life. I was walking with a colleague to a hearing. He was in trouble and needed someone to go with him. This is a role I'm asked to fill quite often. My colleagues elected me union rep so when there's trouble I've gotta go. I dread these meetings - usually.
On my way to the meeting it dawned on me that 11 years ago right about now I would have been on a prodigious bender. I had no family or anything to buy presents for, vacation would be looming ahead... no boundaries. Just the question of how much Jameson's I could belt down before heading into oblivion.
Today that's not the case. People trust me and and that trust is well placed. That feels good. I often wonder what they would think if they knew...no one I work with does. They think of me as the rather straight laced older guy that has little kids. I don't party, I don't do the after work thing... but they're good with it. So am I. My wife and kids are too.
Two weeks off...we're heading through the mountains to Santa's Village tomorrow...life is good.
Thank you, God/higher power. Thanks SR folks.
Damn, I'm feeling good right now.
Mike
Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

That's the best way to head into a vacation, IMO.

Proud of ya Mikel !!!!! All the best to the fam ... and come back safe!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome.....
Old 12-22-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mike, that is a great post!
I wonder where I will be in 11 years. Make one think.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mike! Who knew what real personal satisfaction was until crossing the bridge into reovery?

Have a great trip!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Thanks Mike

I had a similar moment today. I bought a bottle of whisky as a Christmas present for a relation (he's not one of us - he won't finish the bottle 'till next Christmas) and all those memories came flooding back ....... the carnage that was Christmas before I found recovery.

I too thank God for the way I live today.

Thanks again
JC
Old 12-22-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Happy Holidays Mike . Thanks for that post.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mike, probably a lot easier clearing the snow sober as well.Also looking forward to a sober Christmas and getting caught up in the kids excitement. This year i've bought most of the presents and wrapped them and all the shopping is taken care of.In previous years it got done but only just-feels good to be in control and on top of things.
Also the crowd i work with have no idea, been with my company for 18 years but transferred to my current office 5 years ago.Boozed heavily at home for most of that time so quitting doesn't mean much to my colleagues now as they don't really know what i'm like. In my last place however it was different,always out getting hammered and affectionatly known as the Monster. Some of those times were good, but this is what i want now, a happy sober life with my wife and kids.
Have a good one Mike.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lurker

I had one of those moments unpacking our christmas oenaments weeks back, because last year I was drunk packing them. Man drunks are messy. Any way it is good to be sober this year.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by JaySee View Post
Thanks Mike

I ....... the carnage that was Christmas before I found recovery.

I too thank God for the way I live today.

Thanks again
JC
I too thank God for his Grace and my reprieve from alcoholism and the obsession to drink just for today.

cathy31
x
Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SANTA'S VILLAGE........I remember going there once.....long time ago when I was just a little kid..........in the mountains and Today I am not sure it is still there.........

Today......I am here.........thank you God for getting me this far as I wait for another Recovery Birthday that is just around the corner.......I can do this...............I know I can...........there are times when I would rather give in.... And Yet I still come back fighting........

Have a wonderful Christmas you all and talk to you in the future........Have a snow day and pile up those snowballs.......and get ready to toss them when the moment is right........it feels real good to just toss them at someone and get the aggressions out..........TRY IT ....YOU WILL LIKE IT......

Little Penguin