Notices

Aware to say the least

Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aware to say the least

I just need to get out my story, listen if you care to.

Im a 20 year old college junior going to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA
I turn 21 in 3 months...

15 years old: started drinking, stole the family car before I had a permit, passed out at a friends house.
16 : heavy alcohol use, weekends and after school were dedicated to beer and marijuana, started smoking cigarettes
17: heavy cigarette addiction, at least a pack a day. was in a rock band, got wasted before the shows, my first serious relationship with a woman.
18: found out my woman had cheated on me, continued serious drinking. went camping and got arrested for a minor in possession of alcohol as well as contribution to minors(people under 18) with alcohol. Misdemeanor and community service and 3 year probation. Started college. Excited, but severely depressed. used my pain to quit smoking cigarettes( a positive response). lived in the dorms. binge drank, (around 8 + drinks a night, passed out every single weekend)
19. Continued to not smoke cigarettes, had a different girlfriend. quit smoking weed as well. Broke up around christmas. Relapsed weed. Continued to drink. Ripped my asophogus and vommited about a liter of blood due to binge drinking. Had a 2 day hangover.
20. Continued to binge drink. picked up cigarettes again. Got caught with a 6 pack of beer in my trunk which in SLO county= loss of drivers license for a year.

Currently: Without a car, 2 alcohol based misdemeanors
Week 2 of nicotene abstinence. Day 1 of marijuana abstinence.
At this point alcohol is my only drug. But i realise ^ and know what I must do eventually.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Glad you found us! My suggestion : google an AA meeting, go to the nearest one, ask for a 'Big Book' and read it...you can save yourself many years of pain and suffering by finding recovery now! It's unusual for someone so young, but do-able - why wait for more unneceswswary suffering, cause trust me, it's coming! good luck you have a lot of wisdom - use it! you'll be welcome with open arms! good luck!
cathy31
x
Old 12-21-2007, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum!

Glad to see you are working towards a drug free future.

You may have missed this Time article...

How We Get Addicted - TIME

Please post often...we do understand
Old 12-21-2007, 02:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR reduced to zero, I assume by posting here that you have had enough to drink and have or want to quit drinking?

Keep it real simple, just do not drink today, that is it! Do not swear off booze forever, if you are like me forever is a LONG time! Taking it one day at a time is what has kept millions of alcoholics sober the rest of thier lifes.

Always keep in mind also, that you are not alone in this fight, you have the folks here at SR and if need be there are rooms full of people who are alcoholics who have found a way to get and stay sober one day at a time and would be delighted in showing you how they got and stay sober one day at a time. They know how you feel right now and can help you feel better.

BTW 21 is far from being to young to be in AA and find the solution, we haave a young man in the rooms in my area that is 15 and is doing well.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey reducedtozero,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story.

Many, many people get to where you are, make a decision to do something about their problem, and find a way to live life without the use of any drugs. I honestly wish I had woken up when I was 21 but it didn't happen. The 19 extra years it took me would have been better without the drugs. What's keeping you from doing today what you know you must do eventually?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

reducedtozero

Your name kind of says it all huh?

You can start over. You can recreate your life.

It's not a myth. There's been some really good advice here, if you really want it.

All the best.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope you get it but with drugs and alcohol eventually just means roll up another joint, pop the cork, and vomit another liter of blood.

You know I can choose not to drink today but I can’t rely on it. I found a solution to the stolen family car, the heavy weekends, the cigarettes, bad relationships, probation officers, and the near death experiences. I found a solution and once I made a decision to go ahead with the process sobriety has been a breeze.

Good luck with that 3 years probation in the beginning I had 4 years probation with a 5 year suspended jail sentence with random urines and home visits. When ever they wanted urine I gave them as much as they wanted and I gave it to them with a smile. I never once violated my probation and after two years they stopped asking me for drug tests and after 4 years I shook my probation officers hand and said thankyou.

I don’t have to tell you what my solution is or was. It’s the same solution that you eventually know you need to seek. If I were you the only question I would be asking myself would be how much blood am I willing to loose.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. :ghug3
Old 12-21-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your time is now to stop. Your story sounds similar to mine (except cigarettes) and now I'm 34... if it's a problem now and you recognize it, NOW is the time to do something about it.

You are in the right place for support, so use it.

Welcome.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Zero -

Welcome. Some random thoughts for you. You made it into a very good school and even with the issues facing you, your still there. That tells me two things; one, your smart, smart enough to start looking for answers and two, you have self-discpline, at least enough to attend class and not get kicked out.

I flunked out twice because I cared more about the next party than attending class the next day. So your way ahead of where I was, I was never that smart.

Please find an AA meeting to attend. You don't need to stand up and ask for help, you don't need to say anything. Just sit and listen if you want to. At the end of the meeting, you just might be comfortable enough to talk with someone.

I recently quit drinking but I did two things this week that really helped me. I attended my first AA meeting and picked up an awesome book; "Getting Sober"- "A Practical Guide to Making Through the First 30 Days".

Hang in there, things can be a lot better.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome reducedtozero
Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your abstainence from cigarettes and pot. Those are two hard things to quit.

It sounds like alcohol has caused you more problems in your life. It sounds like you are willing to tackle this problem next. I hope you can find the strength and support you need to get rid of this drug. I hope you'll stick with us. You are not alone. Millions of people recover from alcohol problems every year, and you can be one of them.

I am a recovering alcohoic and pot addict. I was also in a touring rock band at one point. Today, I've reduced my alcohol and pot to zero. My life is much better, and I don't get into trouble anymore. It's like being free from a prision...Alcohol and pot enslaved me. Getting clean and sober was like having a heavy burden lifted off my shoulders.

If you want to get better, it is possible. I look forward to hearing more from you on these boards.
peace,
chip
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey -

Keep your head up ! You're still alive, sounds like you're getting an education as well, good for you !

You're 21, with plenty of exciting things ahead of you.

You need a plan to get and stay sober. There is no shame in reaching out for help.

We're here, and we're also in rooms of NA & AA...

Is there any counselling through your school that can assist you ?

Keep posting.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At this point alcohol is my only drug. But i realise ^ and know what I must do eventually.
Cool, but how much more self induced drama are you going to be able to put up with?