Notices

Scary, and not realized to most.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scary, and not realized to most.

As many of you know I am in law enforcement. You may also know from my "Unfinished Business" thread I made a few days ago I was out of town for training. I made it through ok, (Thanks God). Some information I learned I found very interesting. Please read the following.

600,000 police officers on active duty in the United States. The FOP, (Fraternal Order of Police) represents some 270,00 of the officers.

Average suicide rate rate in the U.S. -12 per 100,000

FOP found rate among police officers- 22 per 100,000!!!.

37% Suicide
26% Homicide
6% Motor vehicle accident
11% Other Accidents

Robert Douglas, National P.O.L.I.C.E. Suicide Foundation 1999, said...

"If a 747 airliner with approximately 300 passengers on board crashed each year, the Federal Aviation Administration would ground 747's until the problem was discovered and corrected, yet we lose 300 police officers every year to suicide and we think that is just the cost of doing business."

Scary isn't it? I am very grateful to have found AA in time. With me being an alcoholic and a police officer I could of very easily been a suicide statistic. How many officers you think that committed suicide had a drinking problem?

The numbers are actually low, and inaccurate. The suicide numbers are actually higher because of the increase of police officers since the 1990's. Also the numbers do not include the police officers who are not in the FOP.

Another reason to be grateful for all I have.

Tom

Last edited by Signal30; 12-20-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I did not realize all that in a numerical sense but had some idea as I have seen similar studies over the years related to other service jobs such as paramedic, fire fighting, etc... As a former paramedic (12 years on the job) I found it was rare to find a person in that profession who on their off time was not a heavy drinker if not an alcoholic. The suicide rates are pretty high in that field as well. I am not sure if there is a coorelation between the alcohol use and suicide rates or not but it makes me wonder. About 5 years into my career I tried to get my service involved with a critical incident stress response team but no one wanted to admit they might not be as strong as they would like themselves and everyone else to believe. Lasting more than 5 years in that field is the exception. It has taken me over 6 years to finally recognize that not dealing with the issues that confront people in those types of fields on a daily basis created problems for me. I drank my way through them. Which I am paying for now as the result has been a recent PTSD diagnosis. For the past 2 years I have had insomnia and nightmares related to the things I dealt with during my time on the job. I finally sought help and got honest and that is when they decided that I had the PTSD.

I am so glad that you recognize that there is a very real problem. I am also glad that you are sober. Please do take care of yourself and don't let ego keep you from talking about difficult situations that you run into on your job. It is much easier to deal with them at the time rather than wait for nearly 7 years and having 12 years of it opened up. I have a real respect for you and the job you do. Your family should be proud. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Signal30 -

I was an RN for 12 years and always felt a special kinship to police officers, firefighters, paramedics, etc. We see, and deal with, things other people can't even imagine. I do believe that there is a lot of alcohol/drug abuse in these professions because some of us numb ourself to what we see.

I am trying to get back into nursing, but I'm doing it with a recovering mind...I now realize that I can't save the world and no matter what I do, sometimes it's just not enough. I also know that me, and my recovery comes first. I now have a support system to turn to and don't have to deal with everything alone.

I do think you're right...the statistics are probably low. I know of a few officers who have "a drinking problem" but don't think they need to do anything about it. I'm glad YOU didn't feel that way!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hey Sig - I have been waiting for a topic along these lines from you.

*let's just say* one of my ex husbands was an ex-policeman.
A reservation cop at that.
He's probably dead by now - but is also one of the permanent restraining orders I have been known to joke about here.

And I *am* familiar with quite a few ... uh ... job related .. side effects. First hand.

You are doing so WELL in your living the Program, Sig.
I'm proud of you. And happy for your family.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

signal30 practicing these principles in all our affairs makes such a difference in our lifes, I am glad to hear you are aware of this issue amoung LEO's and as others have pointed out other career paths with a lot of stress and responsibilty.

The larger departments in the area I live in do bend over backwards to offer thier LEOs free of charge and the stigmas attached counseling and education on just what you speak of.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I usually try not to post too many threads like this because I always feel awkward when people say "I respect what you do", and comments similar. I guess it's because I still have self esteem problems, and feel weird when I get compliments or positive feedback. I know it's because of a shortcoming, and it is getting better through step work.

My drinking started when I used to have a few beers after work. I would get off at 8AM, go to the store, buy a case of beer, and drink it all until I was tired enough aka drunk enough to go to sleep. I know of other officers that show a similar pattern. A lot of officers feel as if they need to maintain a tough guy/gal persona. As we know that is ego, and can be deadly if they are an alcoholic.

In the training I went to we learned about Hypervigilance. Most people live life in the normal range of risk. Police, fire, paramedics, etc usually are above the normal range of risk on duty feeling alive, alert, energetic, involved, and humorous. When they are off duty they become below the normal range of risk feeling tired, detached, isolated, and apathetic. There are also other careers that make people feel within this range. It is said that the Hypervigilance recovery period takes 18 to 24 hours to recover from to get you back within the normal range of risk. How many of us have that luxury of time? Now factor in the disease of alcoholism with this, and it's not hard to imagine the potential for disaster. As we know every action has an equal and opposite reaction. On duty the officer is the heat seeker (sympathetic), with a good sense of humor and camaraderie. Off duty the officer can be the couch potato (parasympathetic) being tired, apathetic, and resentful. Any spouse of an officer can tell you of the days he or she comes home from work looking tired and angry. The spouse asks "what is wrong?" The officers answer is usually either "nothing" or "I don't want to talk about it". I have definitely done that before. Bad communication in relationships can lead to divorce. And again I must say, now factor in alcoholism.

There is a solution. I go to meetings, work the steps, work with others, service work, and maintain a relationship with the God of my understanding, (prayer). With those tools I am able to get back into that "normal range of risk".

Tom
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I would get off at 8AM, go to the store, buy a case of beer, and drink it all until I was tired enough aka drunk enough to go to sleep. I know of other officers that show a similar pattern. A lot of officers feel as if they need to maintain a tough guy/gal persona. As we know that is ego, and can be deadly if they are an alcoholic.
yes.

I lived that , too.
Just from the other recliner.

I'm quite proud of you, Sig.

Last edited by barb dwyer; 12-21-2007 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Um, not to embarrass you or anything, but I respect what you do. It can't be easy to be in recovery and deal with the negatives you see every day.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not too embarrassed, thank you. At my job I need to accept that policies, uniforms, required procedures, budget, assignments, organizational goals, and just about every other central aspect of my role at my job-is controlled by someone else. In simple terms, accept the things I cannot change. But with the help of AA, I can control my professionalism, integrity, and serenity 100% with the help of my higher power and the fellowship of you all. For that, I thank you.

Tom
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I have the privilege of counting several law enforcement folks among my friends in AA, those who do what is indicated seem to find peace when the dragons come to call, as do the rest of us who have chosen different career paths.

I applaud your commitment to a program of recovery and I am positive, yes positive, that your "coper" that part of our being that allows us to cope, will become stronger the longer you spend committed to recovery. The fact is that we are all flawed to a point and stress is a fact of life for all. The level of that stress is certainly exacerbated by a profession as well as family situations and life in general. We as alcoholics need the strength that a program and the support friends give us. I am a grateful recovering alcoholic that simply wants to say thank you to you Tom, and to all my fellow alcoholics who are here day in and day out for me to lean on. My meetings and the fellowship of individuals in those meetings keeps me sober. It has for a few years now and once again I will celebrate a sober and sane holiday season as a result.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you and thank you and GOD BLESS!!

Jon
Old 12-21-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for you post signal

There is a bar in the town that I live in (my sister in-law used to tend bar there), and they have happy hour from 6:30am - 10am. I always wondered who would be in there at that time for 'happy hour'.

Her reply "The sheriff deputies who just got off the night shift." It's the bar's most profitable time on weekdays. I figured it was just their hours - but you seem to hint at something more going on there.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can you take care of this parking ticket?

just kidding, I would never park there.... he he.

Glad to hear the training weekend went well for ya!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Interesting info signal.

My significant other is in law enforcement.
Last year around this time, one of the officers that
she knows got up one Sunday morning before his family
woke, took his gun and walked to the nearby park where
he shot and killed himself. He had a wife, and 3 kids.
No suicide letter, no nothing. Just gone.

It is incredibly stressful what law enforcers do. They see
so much that the public does not. No wonder many are
alcoholics themselves. It's a tough gig.

I didn't realize that the stats on suicide were so high.
Very interesting.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Signal30 View Post
I usually try not to post too many threads like this because I always feel awkward when people say "I respect what you do", and comments similar. I guess it's because I still have self esteem problems, and feel weird when I get compliments or positive feedback. I know it's because of a shortcoming, and it is getting better through step work.
Tom

The blue suit is not what gains you my respect.
What "you" do as a policeman is what gains my respect.
The nature of your job gains my admiration for all who serve but the individual needs gain my respect as an individual. You have done so and I am grateful to see people of your caliber in a blue suit. Your wearing it with honor.

You better get use to people saying such things because recovery and step work will have many others see the same in you.
Stay the path. You deserve it.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

sig,I would not do the job you do for the money you make...really..around here LE`s don`t make that much...for the danger,so stay safe and sober.. & Merry Christmas!