Notices

bitter/sweet

Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bitter/sweet

Sobriety can and is bitter/sweet. The positive which is the sweet is a healthier more fulfilling life. Sweet is being able to take part in family activities (meaning actually being there mentally not only present). Seeing the joy in your wife and childrens eyes because they have you back with them. Waking up and feeling good for a change. Not living with the fear of killing someone while driving home in a blackout. The list could go on and on. The only negative or bitter part is I have to acknowledge that I'm one of ten percent of the population that can not drink socially, in moderation, or with any self control. It is ironic the bitter is what helps me to stay sober so it is a necessary part of sobriety. If I forget about the bitter I will lose the sweet. Thank God for the bitter realities that allow us to remain in reality.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I want to be happy that I am one of the people that has alcoholism. I know I wouldn't have had such push to grow and become spiritual otherwise.

I wouldn't call it bitter sweet. I wouldn't wish alcoholism on anyone but what I have gained through AA I wish I could share with everyone. Perhaps that is what is bitter sweet.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

For me the bitter tasting part is the damage I did to those who love and care about me, while I was using. Especially the hurt I caused my children.

The sweet part is, although I can not change the past and remove the damage I can be a living ammends to them today by staying sober. I am fortunate to be one of the few who was able to find a solution to my disease.

Thanks for the thought provoking topic.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Dan...
Sounds like you are really soul searching.

My bitter is the 20 years I stagnated in what could have been a fruitful life.

The sweet is that I now know what to do in order to stay sober for the rest of my life.