Notices

Please Help me an my family

Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please Help me an my family

Hi am looking for any help people can offer me..Its not for me, its my brother im realy worried about..He drinks all the time he has just recently lost his family and now his job..He has no insurance..Know he admits he has a drinking problem and is will to get help, he is reaching to me for help. I told him he could go to AA meetings but he thinks he needs to go to an inpatint treatment, also he needs a place to talk to someone about depression:praying ...We are here in New Mexico and there realy isnt any place that i have found that could help him...PLEASE if there is anyone who could help point me in the right direction to help my brother i would truly be thankful..Thank you for your time....God Bless you all...
All i want for Christmas is for my brother to feel better!!:praying
Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I know many people have utilized inpatient and outpatient recovery programs to find sobriety. Some of us did not have that option or know that it was an option. I was able to go to A.A. and find sobriety. My drinking was out of control. I would buy two 30-packs of beer plus a pint of 100 proof "Hot Damn" to make it through an evening. This was any day I was not working. It did not matter if I was working the next day or not. When I wasn't drinking I was planning my next drink.

In retrospect I believe A.A. worked for me because I was desperate enough to have the willingness to surrender to the fact I had lost control of my alcohol use, it controlled me. I was desperate enough to go to any lengths to find a way to live life without drinking. From my first A.A. meeting I found hope that I could find life without needing to drink.

Even if your brother feels he needs an inpatient treatment I would recommend trying A.A. until he is able to find a treatment facility. That would at least give him a start in the right direction. The only requirement for A.A. is a desire to stop drinking.

I wish both you and your brother the best. Take care and keep us posted.

Judith
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The best thing for him just now is local AA meetings.
The members will able to tell him of local resources.

The Salvation Army has excellent free de tox and
residential programs.

Praying for the 2 of you
Blessings
Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR.

Here's a start:

http://www.recoveryconnection.org/fi...New_Mexico.php

http://www.drug-rehab-center-hotline...ilitation.html

And then there is:

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/tx_nm/qt/nm09.htm

They have a pretty good record.

Ultimately though it is up to your brother. Just getting into a detox and/or rehab is just the first teeny step.

Please check out our Friends and family's forums, they will help YOU a lot.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

Also you might want to check out Alanon in Los Lunas, I know that there are meetings not only in Los Lunas but in South ABQ as well.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-12-2007, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

roxy the best way to find a treatment center for detox or rehab in your area is to have your brother pick up the phone and call your local AA hot line or have your brother go to an AA meeting.

Please do not call for him, if he really wants to get sober he will make the call himself or go to a meeting.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Through the back door through the front door it does not matter how one gets treatment,just that they do. It's Ok for you to help your brother if he needs you to call someone. I know when I was going through a crazy stage I needed my ex to call my doctor for me because I was too afraid to. A simple phone call is not going to hurt anyone,but might save your brother's life. Sorry taz, I think your great,but I have to disagree on the phone call part. (((((((Huggies)))))))
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We still praying

Well thanks everyone for all the comments you have sent me...It has kept me stong to keep trying...I know its only been a couple of days but guess what hes in AA meetings!!!!!!!! iM SO HAPPY FOR HIM!! I know its still early an he could still go back to drinking an hes only been sober for 3 days but this is a start.......Ill keep you all posted...Thank you all very much...I pray this is gonna be the best Christmas yet...Happy Holidays..
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by roxyruep View Post
Well thanks everyone for all the comments you have sent me...It has kept me stong to keep trying...I know its only been a couple of days but guess what hes in AA meetings!!!!!!!! iM SO HAPPY FOR HIM!! I know its still early an he could still go back to drinking an hes only been sober for 3 days but this is a start.......Ill keep you all posted...Thank you all very much...I pray this is gonna be the best Christmas yet...Happy Holidays..
Thanks for the update. Both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope this turns out to be a wonderful Christmas full of miracles for you.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roxyruep View Post
Hi am looking for any help people can offer me..Its not for me, its my brother im realy worried about..He drinks all the time he has just recently lost his family and now his job..He has no insurance..Know he admits he has a drinking problem and is will to get help, he is reaching to me for help. I told him he could go to AA meetings but he thinks he needs to go to an inpatint treatment, also he needs a place to talk to someone about depression:praying ...We are here in New Mexico and there realy isnt any place that i have found that could help him...PLEASE if there is anyone who could help point me in the right direction to help my brother i would truly be thankful..Thank you for your time....God Bless you all...
All i want for Christmas is for my brother to feel better!!:praying
How far are you from the 4 corners area?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

congratulations on a great start.... hang in there.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frescacan View Post
How far are you from the 4 corners area?

And if you are not near four corners, are you close to Albequerque?
Jim
Old 12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes we are close to Albuquerque