Notices

Three Weeks

Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three Weeks

Hello everyone. I passed the three-week mark last night with no drinking. I'm feeling much better, and the tenderness in my right side is gone.

I am having some trouble with strong emotions...anger in particular. I'm feeling everything!

I'm not attending any meetings. Still struggling with AA. Part of the reason I drank was the stress in my life and lack of time to rest (drinking to unwind and get to sleep, etc.) . There's no way with three kids and two jobs I can attend a meeting every day (the 90 in 90). If I felt like I could go to a meeting once a week and be accepted, I'd do it.

Still, I'd like to work the steps and was wondering if this is something I can do on my own, with my own faith and in my own church.

Thanks for all the support I've been getting on this board!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Crowgirl,

You might see if any of your local churches offer Celebrate Recovery programs. It's a Christian based approach to the 12 Steps. At the very least I recommend reading the AA Big Book for an understanding of the Steps.

I understand your not being able to do 90 in 90, but have you considered taking your children to meetings? My children were 7 & 9 when they started going to meetings with me, they still attend 2-3 times every week. Embracing a recovery program has helped me to deal with the emotions, where there's a will there's a way.

Glad you're here and staying sober. I'll look forward to reading more of your posts.

Scott
Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 3 weeks! That is awesome! I don't have an answer for you about the AA stuff. I am 8 days today and clinging to AA for life - I have been going to lots of meetings, but I certainly am not positive I can do the 90/90. And, that is ok. I am not going to stress about it. I am going to try the hardest I can. If I were you, I would try the once a week thing, and see what happens. People keep telling me to keep coming back, but they aren't dictating WHEN, you know what I mean? No-one has told me I have to make a certain amount of meetings - in fact one person told me I am in charge of my recovery.

Congrats again - that is awesome, and you are doing great!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Crow!!
Keep sharing with us. I'm 7 days sober and can use as much input from other alcoholics as possible!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratz on the three weeks. I used to give the excuse that I didn't have time to go to meetings. My sponsor simply said if you had time to drink everyday, then you have time to go to meetings. As a parent, I fully understand the hectic life of kids, job, and other priorities. In AA, staying sober has to be your number one priority. It comes before all else. When staying with the program of AA, you become a great parent, co-worker, friend, spouse, mother, etc. You reap the rewards of a sober life, and obtain more than you ever thought.

Alcoholism is a fatal disease untreated. The damage it leaves go far beyond just what you do to yourself.

Tom
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by Crowgirl View Post
There's no way with three kids and two jobs I can attend a meeting every day (the 90 in 90). If I felt like I could go to a meeting once a week and be accepted, I'd do it.
The suggestion of "90 in 90" came from the rehabs, and some groups pass along that suggestion because it makes sense for the newcomer to be immersed in recovery. But in now way should you be made to feel unwelcome because you can only make one meeting a week. What you can do when you go to a meeting is get the phone number of every woman in the room and use them. Call someone in recovery every day. Get to know people so you can feel comfortable asking someone to sponsor you.

Congrats on the three weeks. It's said that the good news about recovery is that you get your feelings back, but the bad news about recovery is that you get your feelings back

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Crowgirl. 8

I agree with Sugah on the 90 in 90 thing. Dont let the feeling you 'HAVE' to do such and such in AA put you off it.

I am 5 months sober and AA has played a big part in my recovery, I make about 1 meeting a week. I do keep in touch with other alcoholics by phone though.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Cowgirl,

The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking. There is no rule about 90 in 90, it simply is one way that many have found to get into the program in a full blown approach. The desire and the willingness are really the most important.

I suggest that you try and attend whenever you can and while there find someone who you like and see if they are willing to work with you based on your schedule and children's demands. That person ought to be someone that has something that you have seen that you want. It may be an attitude, a smile, and a bounce in their step, anything that attracts you to them.

Introduce yourself after the meeting and explain your desire and the situation you have with regard to time and availability and see if they will help you through the steps. It is advised that they have taken the steps themselves so that they can help you. Call them often and seek their guidance regarding problems that may arise in your journey toward sobriety.

If you will do this and not drink at the same time you have a really great chance to get and stay sober.

Oh by the way, if you get hooked up with that person I am talking about you won' have to get a sponsor. You will already have one!

Good luck,
Jon
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome cowgirl. As stated by many, 90 meetings in 90 days is suggested by many in A.A. But nowhere in the first 164 pages (the core of the program) is that suggestion written down. The steps are the biggest part of the A.A. program. Yes, fellowship, and helping other alcoholics is part of it.

I would rather see someone go to one meeting a week, get a sponsor, and start working the steps right away than have someone go to 90 meetings in 90 days, fail to get a sponsor, and put off working the steps. By having a sponsor, you have a link to the program so even when you are unable to be at a meeting you have someone who can guide you, talk with you, listen to you, etc....

For me meetings help ground me so I do attend them. I did do 90 in 90. But I did not get a sponsor during that time and thought that I could work the steps by myself. I am thankful that I finally figured out that for me the most important part of the program was obtaining a sponsor, going to meetings (as many as possible), and working the steps.

I encourage you not to give up on A.A. Remember there are no have to's in the program, it is simply a program of suggestions. Granted if one doesn't follow the suggestions then one is more likely to wind up back out drinking again.

Hang in there do the best that you can, grab hold of the desire to stop drinking and put one foot in front of the other. By doing so you will see results.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well Done on your 3 weeks!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never drank everyday, therefore, I don't attend meetings daily.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.

With regards to AA, meetings are great for some, as is the 90/90 and all that. But there are not requirements in AA other than a desire to stop drinking. If you can't get meetings or don't want to, I would suggest you just read the Big Book and do what you can. Try putting some of the recommendations in the Big Book into practice. YOu can get the book at any library and many meetings give them away. You can also read it online aa.org\bigbook

There's lot's of support on these forums too. Congratulations and wishing success in your recovery.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job on your three weeks

When I first quit drinking I found it helpful just to be around the people that supported me. I think SR is great for people that cannot get to meetings.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

im very inspired by you, continue the great path you're on!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When AA started, they had one meeting per week. The average person had no phone, and the internet wasn't even an idea in Al Gore's grand daddy's head.

Yet they stayed sober.

As many have stated, 90-in-90 is the rehab industry talking, not the fellowship of AA. Go to a meeting, and see what you think. Do not let what you hear about AA get in the way of how it may help you.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

congratulations on your three weeks.

The feeling I got from reading your post ... you've gone three weeks ... not drinking.

Now, you've begun to get curious about 'sobriety'.

the two ... are NOT interchangeable terms.
There's a world of difference.

Although I don't completely understand why people resist AA,
I do understand about wanting more out of life than just not drinking.

Good luck on the next step of your sober journey!