Notices

Hi. I’m new here, and I am scared.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi. I’m new here, and I am scared.

Hi.

I am pretty sure I am an alcoholic. I drink beer – lots of it – every night. I wait until my son gets off the school bus, and once he is safely in the house and I know I won’t have to go out and drive again, I start drinking, and continue until I pass out. My husband does almost all the kid duties at night when he gets home from work because I just drink. On the weekends I start earlier, like around 1 or 2 since my husband is already home and I don’t have to drive anywhere. Wow, that is embarrassing to admit.

I am just sick of it. I am sick of thinking about drinking all the time. I am completely out of control, and it is affecting my whole life. I am a middle class mother of 2 – I volunteer at both kid’s schools, I take my daughter to dance and gymnastics classes and my son to lacrosse and basketball…I do yoga for goodness sake! How ironic is it that I do yoga to be good to my body and then as soon as I get home I start poisoning it? I am a fraud and it is completely ridiculous. I feel like no-one knows who I really am. It is frightening.

My last job (before I quit to stay home with my son) was at a substance abuse agency. I actually taught prevention education to kids. It is almost laughable. I moved on from that position in the agency, but the fact remains that I was pretending there too. I need to go back to work soon, and I am terrified that I am such a wreck no-one will hire me. I have a college degree, I made great strides in my career, and yet I feel like I am paralyzed. I am beginning to think that the alcohol might have something to do with it.

I want to be healthy. I don’t want to wake up every day feeling slightly ill. I worry about the damage I am likely doing to my liver. I worry that I will die young. My cousin died a couple years ago. He was 40 – he fell down his stairs – he was drunk. He was a severe alcoholic, and I loved drinking with him. We drank the same brand of beer, and we saw something in each other – probably our alcoholism.

I have quit drinking before – when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I quit cold turkey – immediately, And stayed sober until she was about 3 months old. Then, I slid back into it – slowly. In the last 3 years I have stopped for short periods of time – very short, like a week or so. I never seem to have any withdrawal symptoms, besides crankiness (and I am pretty cranky anyway). I feel physically better when I am not drinking.

After lots of soul searching, I pretty much have decided I just don’t like myself very much. I think I drink for several reasons – but the thing I miss most when I stop is the not having to think about how much I feel like I am a failure. The beer makes me stop feeling and worrying.

I have been weepy all day – I drank a lot (even more than normal) yesterday and it seems like Mondays are getting harder for me because I drink so much on Sunday. I cried in the shower, in the minivan, at yoga – I know I have to stop drinking, but I am so afraid. I looked up meetings and have considered going to my first one tonight, but I am terrified I will see someone I know. I don’t want to admit it to people. I have managed not to crack open my first beer since getting my son, but I have to admit it is really hard. It shouldn’t be this hard.

I am afraid I will have withdrawal symptoms this time. I am afraid I won’t have the willpower to throw out the 30 pack of beer in my garage fridge. I am thinking maybe I should just drink that – and start Wednesday. I hate myself right now, I really do. I hate being a whiner about this – and sounding so weak. I sound like the exact opposite of who I pretend to be.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Krissy,

Welcome to SR, others will be along to greet you soon.

You are in the right place, here will will find you are not alone, not weak, not a failure. You have an addiction, and it's a tough one.

Nothing you said will sound strange to the people here. I go to the gym 3-6 times a week, and, like you, continued to drink too much.

This place is for people who wish to stop and stay stopped. There are many here with years of sobrity, and those like me, that have been a tad slower, but please, now that you are here, stick around and keep coming back, no matter what!

Steve
Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Krissy,

You are not alone.

I was so scared when I knew I had to stop drinking. I couldn't imagine getting through an evening without drinking and I couldn't imagine simply living with myself. I didn't like myself at all. I was a fraud too - I would play any part that anyone wanted me to play. I had no idea who I really was.

But, I knew was going to die if I didn't stop drinking. I can tell you that you can do it. You can get through it and you will be able to live the life you are meant to live. It's hard to reach out for help and coming here is a great first step.

My suggestion would be to talk to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. Then, when you stop drinking, change your routines and daily patterns. Take over the childcare duties in the evening or do something different. It will help.

Keep posting.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Afraid to stop drinking...that someone will know @ AA

Hi Krissy,

You are not alone and you have all the same doubts we all have had at different times. I, for one, drank the last four years of my drinking every night like you do. I usually drank a six pack of Old English that was stronger than regular beer or half a fifth of vodka. I was on a limited budget so did what the alcohol program called maintenance drinking. I never had a time that I was completly free of alcohol because I started drinking at the same time every day and if I couldn't or didn't for some reason...I would get the shakes just terrible.

I had a doctor and alcohol counselor help with my detox in a hospital setting. I was 48 years old and a single mom. My last child home was eleven years old. I also had clinical depression/anxiety.

I left the hospital after six days and went to my first AA Meeting that night. I parked in front of the church...walked down to the basement...walked across a big room to the tables full of AA members. I was so scared that my hands were wringing wet. A nice gentleman greeted me and helped me find a seat.

Am I ever glad I followed through with the AA meetings. I wanted to be sober more than anything in my life and knew this was a possible solution to my problem with alcohol.

I greatly depended on the Serenity Prayer and living one day at a time. I couldn't look any farther ahead or I would be too overwhelmed.
I got help for my depression too and did set a big goal that I was told I wouldn't be able to attain because I had so much brain damage from my alcohol.

My goal was to go back to college to get my BA Degree one year after being sober. I worked half time and went to college full time in the late afternoon and early evenings. I graduated in two years and got a job at the County Mental Health Agency. I was on the deans list every semester and that was on my transcript...was I ever proud of myself.

There is more to the story but I need to go pick up my daughter and grandson and take him to the foot doctor. I will write more later.

Please keep coming back...post...read...or just say HI!

kelsh
Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Methinks its always best for alcoholics to diagnose ourselves.

I can tell you what I am like and you decide if it rings a bell.

I have a body that can't take it.
But I have a mind that can't leave it alone.
That means I'm an alcoholic.
There was a certain relief in knowing what my problem is because theres a solution.

After all, its not possible to fix something if I don't know its broken.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by savoy View Post
\I have a body that can't take it.
But I have a mind that can't leave it alone.
I like this, Savoy. Thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for replying. It helps to know that you aren't alone. I had my husband read my post. We haven't had a chance to really talk about it yet as the kids are still up. I am still thinking about whether or not I want to go to the meeting. It truly is scary - plus I look like heck and would need to clean up. I was feeling a bit sick, but realized I hadn't eaten all day so I had some soup and a sandwich and I feel better. Just foggy. And very tired.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Krissy,

The very best thing about getting sober is that in the beginning everyday without a drink gets better. The changes can sometimes be enough to get us through the cravings, but not always. In my opinion that is why they "invented" AA.

I know it isn't funny to you, NOW, but your statement of a fear of seeing someone in an AA meeting who knows you, made me laugh. Think about it, just what do you think THEY ARE DOING THERE? One alcoholic seeing another one is hardly the thing that gossip is made of.

As you have read, we are all VERY FAMILIAR with the pain and stupid behavior of an alcoholic, we are one!! AA is simply a group of alcoholics helping each other. It is full of winos and PhDs. I sit next to a Dr. an attorney and a guy who hasn't worked in years in some meetings and in others I laugh with a lady of the evening and a Catholic priest. We all have just one thing in common for sure, that is our inability to deal with alcohol by ourselves.

Come on down and join us, but beware, it isn't a bastion of mental health, so don't be too sensitive, but do stay around and the miracle will happen for you like it happened for me a few years ago. Life is good and no matter what, it is always better sober.

Best of luck and if I can do anything to help just whistle.

Jon
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome Krissy . I'm glad you found SR. There's a ton of info here and even more support. You're not alone.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

Here is a link to excerpts from the book
that convinced me to quit drinking.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I do use God and AA to enjoy my sobriety.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Krissy2007 View Post
Hi.

After lots of soul searching, I pretty much have decided I just don’t like myself very much. I think I drink for several reasons – but the thing I miss most when I stop is the not having to think about how much I feel like I am a failure. The beer makes me stop feeling and worrying.
Hi Krissy and Welcome:

Thanks for sharing your story. You say that you drink for several reasons. What are they? Do you mind if I ask what your husband says about your drinking?

Peace.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Krissy
You are singing my song. On so many levels...!!!

As you can tell by my screenname, beer was my drug and drunk of choice.

I also was a gym-goer, swimmer, runner, but above all was my sacred beer -- so everything else took a back seat.

I, like you -- did my drinking at home, after the day's responsibilities. My wife complained, yet enabled me to continue. Once I started drinking, I could not stop until I passed out or fell asleep. Also, like you, I started early on weekends.

I still held my job, held it together, yet inside I was falling apart.

AA helped me to get sober and STAY THAT WAY. It's easy to quit with will power, but to actually change the way we think, feel and act -- that takes a Power greater than ourselves....

Hang in there, Krissy -- get rid of the freaking beer in the fridge (find a construction crew and give an early holiday gift).... I can also relate how you are posting this today, and thinking about going through a 30 pack and quitting Wednesday! We are a strange, but loveable lot, we alcoholics!!!!

Let me know if there is any way I can help you.

Oh yeah -- today life still has it's problems, but I am over 3 years sober -- have shed a ton of weight, am a triathlete and soon to be half marathoner!!!! God is great!!!

One day at a time.... just remember that.

Ken
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow - thanks everyone. I will try to go back and answer everyone's questions in a minute. I went to the meeting. I am feeling kind-of shell shocked and it all feels very surreal.

I went to a meeting at a church in my town. I felt a little more comfortable since I know the church (have been there for Mass, lots of friends got married there). It seemed familiar. I got there and there were like 4 cars in a parking lot - and people were all in them. I was a few minutes early so I sat in my car (it was pouring rain.)

The man next to me went over and talked to another guy in a car and I saw them putting a sign on the door. I got out and they said one guy forgot the key. So, he (the young guy) said that he was going to another meeting a couple towns away and I could follow him. So, I did.

When we got there, there were a few guys in that car with the young one and they were really nice. I admitted it was my first meeting. The young guy said he would get me a list and tell me all the good meetings. He was really sweet. He showed me to a chair next to him and kind-of took me under his wing. We were late since we had to go from the other meeting, so it was a little awkward.

My cousin's ex-wife was there. She came late too (she had gone to the other meeting first and saw the sign) and she was friendly with the young guy - so we reconnected (haven't talked since she left my cousin about a year ago. My son was in her wedding as the ring bearer). I was kind-of dreading seeing her (I had heard she went to meetings from a family member), but I was actually SO glad to see a friendly face.

Anyway, I listened and I met several people and got my list and chose my meeting for tomorrow. I still have to kind-of process everything.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you! So funny you said that about your first meeting -- I also felt that mine was 'surreal.' Looking back, I think I was thinking "what's a nice guy like me doing in a place like this?" ;-)

Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Go to meetings. Don't drink between meetings. Repeat.

Listen for similarities to your story, not differences.

Find a sponsor (you will know her when you meet her).

Get to work on the steps....

oh yeah -- get a Big Book and start reading....

Very proud of you for going to your first meeting -- that is a HUGE step on your wonderful road to recovery.

NMB.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccirider View Post
Hi Krissy and Welcome:

Thanks for sharing your story. You say that you drink for several reasons. What are they? Do you mind if I ask what your husband says about your drinking?

Peace.
I think I drink because it loosens me up (makes me sort-of happy - at least for a little bit). It allows me to pass out and fall asleep easily. I don't have to think about stuff - basic stuff - like money, stuff I have to do, etc. It allows me to avoid unpleasant things. I use it as my reward for getting through the day - which seems really sad now that I type it out. If the kids are fighting or being naughty, I reach for beer to "get me through it." And, it really is a habit now. As in, it is almost automatic. Get home, crack open beer, sit down, watch tv. Socially, it loosens me up, but I think I have kind-of surpassed that - I actually prefer to drink alone now.

My husband is probably a classic enabler. He buys me beer whenever I ask (usually on his way home from work) - he has said he wishes I would drink less. But, he doesn't push. He does not drink really at all. He used to drink a lot (before I knew him) but we have been married 10 years and together for 12 - and I have seen him drunk once - after his bachelor party. He has had maybe 3 beers in the last year. He is proud I went to the meeting and he wants to support me. He just doesn't know what will make me happy (neither do I apparently). I asked him tonight if he thought I was an alcoholic and he said he doesn't know.

I am pretty sure I am though. Most people can't drink 15 - 16 beers in a night, can they?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer View Post
Hi Krissy
You are singing my song. On so many levels...!!!

As you can tell by my screenname, beer was my drug and drunk of choice.

I also was a gym-goer, swimmer, runner, but above all was my sacred beer -- so everything else took a back seat.

I, like you -- did my drinking at home, after the day's responsibilities. My wife complained, yet enabled me to continue. Once I started drinking, I could not stop until I passed out or fell asleep. Also, like you, I started early on weekends.

I still held my job, held it together, yet inside I was falling apart.

AA helped me to get sober and STAY THAT WAY. It's easy to quit with will power, but to actually change the way we think, feel and act -- that takes a Power greater than ourselves....

Hang in there, Krissy -- get rid of the freaking beer in the fridge (find a construction crew and give an early holiday gift).... I can also relate how you are posting this today, and thinking about going through a 30 pack and quitting Wednesday! We are a strange, but loveable lot, we alcoholics!!!!

Let me know if there is any way I can help you.

Oh yeah -- today life still has it's problems, but I am over 3 years sober -- have shed a ton of weight, am a triathlete and soon to be half marathoner!!!! God is great!!!

One day at a time.... just remember that.

Ken
Thank you! And, congrats on the sobriety, the triathalon and good luck with the half. That is actually my long term running goal - I want to do the Disney 1/2 in 2009 or 2010.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer View Post
Good for you! So funny you said that about your first meeting -- I also felt that mine was 'surreal.' Looking back, I think I was thinking "what's a nice guy like me doing in a place like this?" ;-)
I have to admit I felt a little like that too. One of the people was talking about a drug court program that he was in and I was like, "I helped develop that program." ETA - I didn't say that, I thought it. I actually didn't say anything except squeaked out my name when asked.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Maybe I'll race the Disney half with you! That is supposed to be a fun race!

Remember -- look for the similarities at the meetings. Over time, my story and others' stories have more and more in common. Or maybe I'm just listening better?

Did you get a 24 hour chip? Next one up: 30 days.

NMB.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry, Double Post.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Krissy,
Welcome to SR!!!

Welcome to a new beginning as well. I'm so happy for you that you've started to go to AA. I remember how afraid I was when I walked through those doors. AA has changed my life, and I'm much more happier now that I'm sober.

I hope you'll stick with us.
chip