Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever hit their head and had a problem (hematoma for example)

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got very drunk a week ago Sunday (for hopefully the last time) and hit my head.. I am a bit worried that I might have a hematoma because I have been having nausea on and off all week as well as slight headaches that dont really hurt and only last a few minutes...

I think I just might be anxious and therefore just reading too much into things.. I am not alcohol dependent, just a binge drinker so I can't really attribute it to that.. I should probably go to the Dr. but I cant seem to make myself. Does anyone have any experience with something life this? Thanks..
Old 11-26-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor, so I suggest you see one soon.

I know of people that have died days or weeks later after a thump on the head. Nothing to fool with, 'specially if your having symptoms over a week later.

JMHO
S
Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply.. I just dont know if I am reading too much into it because I tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finallystopping View Post
I got very drunk a week ago Sunday (for hopefully the last time) and hit my head.. I am a bit worried that I might have a hematoma because I have been having nausea on and off all week as well as slight headaches that dont really hurt and only last a few minutes...

I think I just might be anxious and therefore just reading too much into things.. I am not alcohol dependent, just a binge drinker so I can't really attribute it to that.. I should probably go to the Dr. but I cant seem to make myself. Does anyone have any experience with something life this? Thanks..
YOU MADE THIS TOO EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah this has happened and as both a person who has watched medical shows and a mom who is a nurse plus I have both my emt and cena I realized I needed to quit beating myself up ( physically and mentally) and go to the dr..........cuse he is the only one who truely will only know
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are both right.. I need to just go to the Dr, it can't hurt... thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well in this case hopefully it quits hurting now...........lol do me a favor though if there is EVER any blood involved just go to the nearest er ok? HUGSSSSSSSSS hope you have a better day!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Finallystopping,

I had this happen to my daughter when she was three...she felt sick, & then started wanting to go to sleep...took her to her pediatrician & she had a concussion. She was fully asleep when I got her to the doc. Had to take her home & wake her up every 30 minutes or rouse her so I knew she was okay.

Yours doesn't sound that serious but it bears checking out.

Welcome to Sober Recovery!

kelsh
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am sure pleased you are checking with a doctor.
That is the only way to find out if you need anything.

Welcome to the SR Alcoholism Forum
I'm glad you came over here with us.

Take care and be safe.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I agree, go see your doctor. I recieved a head injury during the last 6 months of my drinking. I had a concussion (which is essentially bruising of the brain) not just to the front of my brain but the back also. I had dizzyness, nausea, was very tired. I did seek medical advice. Ultimately, the head injury was bad enough that it caused dizziness for 2 years after the injury. It also changed how I learn. I used to have a photographic memory, would make A's in school without studying. Now I have to work to get a C or B. I no longer have a great memory.

One of the reasons a practicing alcoholic is more prone to head injuries is because the alcohol abuse creates dehydration which reduces the fluid around the brain that it there to cushion and protect the brain. Just a little trivia for you.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Let us know what the dr says, okay? I'm sure you'll be fine but it may be helpful information for someone else reading, and besides, we get very concerned about our friends here!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Finallystopping

I have scars on my face and head that tell the story of some of my drinking mis-adventures.

I'm glad that you are seeing a doctor.

We really do beat our selves up huh? When I drank, I had times when I'd wake up with blood all over my pillow and not remember what happened.

One of the big advantages of sobriety is that I am no longer falling over and hurting myself.

I hope you find the road of recovery, and I hope you don't hurt yourself by drinking anymore. Please pop in and tell us how it's going, k?
chip