Notices

THIS time I don't FEEL as ready...

Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
I'm sober, but not for very long, and I might binge again. I don't want to, but I'm still early enough in my sobriety that I might.
So, if I read this correctly, if someone puts enough time between now and their last drink, they will be less apt to drink again? How much time is enough? Days, weeks, months, years? What has your experience been?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Texasblind,

I just want to comment on what you said:

"I'm sober, but not for very long, and I might binge again. I don't want to, but I'm still early enough in my sobriety that I might."

And the question that sugErspun asked:

if someone puts enough time between now and their last drink, they will be less apt to drink again? How much time is enough? Days, weeks, months, years?
--------------------------------------------------------------

All we have is one day. I've been sober since I woke up this morning. I happened to be sober yesterday as well, but today is the only day that matters to me right now. I'm just as prone to drinking tommorow as you, but I'll deal with that tommorow.

I might binge again as well. Heck, the odds are against any alcoholic staying sober. By the grace of God, though, I've stayed sober today. Tommorow, I will ask my God to keep me sober again. I will also do the other recommended things to stay sober (work on my recovery). Today I have faith that God will defend me from taking a drink.

Each day, many of us wake up and ask a HP for a sober day. Each night many of us thank our HP (a higher power) for a sober day. Day by day, hour by hour, we stay sober. The days add up, but the bottle will always be there to take us down if we let it. Many of us become involved in some sort of recovery program. Programs like AA or Smart Recovery help alcoholics stay sober, day by day.

The bottom line is that an alcohol addiction is a ruthless predator. It really is un natural for an alcoholic to be sober. I met a guy who had 17 years of sobriety, but he drank again. We are all in danger of the predator.

Let's stay sober for another 24 hours... sound good? After that 24 hours, we can do the same thing again.
chip
Old 11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Paulos,
How's it going?
chip