SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   How long do the alcohol withdrawal symptoms last? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/137624-how-long-do-alcohol-withdrawal-symptoms-last.html)

aGrandma 11-23-2007 09:00 PM

How long do the alcohol withdrawal symptoms last?

My AH quit drinking about a month ago, and he's been doing really well except he gets horrible cold sweats some days that last a day or less. To him they are very upsetting and scary and uncomfortable. He gets very agitated. We called an advice nurse and a pharmacist to ask them if they thought it might be a pain medication he is taking and both of them think it's alcohol withdrawal symptoms still. Did any of you ever experience this symptom this long after having stopped drinking? Is it anxiety? What should he do for it? He has xanax, and it seems to help a LITTLE. Maybe he needs something stronger? Help please if you know!

tiburon88 11-23-2007 10:09 PM

Is it possible that he is abusing the xanax? What "pain medication" is he taking? Is it a narcotic and could he be abusing those? The physical withdrawals from alcohol should be over in a week. Xanax is a benzo type drug that effects the brain in a similar manner as alcohol.

sugErspun 11-23-2007 11:30 PM

I felt sick (cold sweats, shaky etc) for almost a month after my last binge...may be shorter or longer for others. But for me, it was always around a month..

Room1 11-24-2007 12:29 AM

I had symptoms for 6 weeks, the first 4 being the worst. My doctor kept assuring me it was due to withdrawal, as I kept thinking it wasn't as alot of people seem to say about a week. Even now at 8 weeks I get an occasional attack of anxiety but for the most part I feel ok now.

Sax

citychick 11-24-2007 01:29 AM

my withdrawals didn't begin for almost 2weeks, well, I didn't feel too bad till then....and persisted till around the 90 days mark..lessening in severity as the time progressed. anxiety was one of the worst symptoms.

CarolD 11-24-2007 02:48 AM

Here is information on PAWS....perhaps you are unaware

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

I think the fact he is taking 2 drugs
pain med + Xanax
also have a part in this situation.

As you can see...there is no definate time line.
By day 4 my physical symptoms were finished.
I was not using any drug..my health was good.

Blessings

BackToSquareOne 11-24-2007 03:31 AM

The anxiety can last quite a while and my sleep patterns took at least 2 months to return to somewhat normal. The shaking and sweating subsided within a week.

BackToSquareOne 11-24-2007 03:38 AM

The benzos, valium, librium etc. can actually be very beneficial in getting through the early stages of withdrawal. I have done it cold turkey and with meds and know from experience that cold turkey can be very dangerous.

CarolD 11-24-2007 03:43 AM

BackToSquareOne....Welcome to SR!
:)

aGrandma 11-24-2007 08:37 AM

Thanks so much all of you!
I am positive he is not abusing his pain medications - he's taking them as directed and the dosage has not changed since before he quit drinking. And also he is not abusing the xanax - he only takes one when he absolutely needs one.
It must be the alcohol withdrawals still.
I read somewhere on this board (I'm not sure where now!) that the alcohol gets into the spine and the body can hold onto it for up to a YEAR after quitting drinking? If withdrawal symptoms last that long - YIKES.
From what all of you have said it doesn't. That is a big relief.
Thanks again!

hunter 10-09-2008 07:46 AM

I quit alcohol 15 days ago(cold turkey) when i finished college and got my diploma after 4 years of heavy drinking. The day i got my diploma i drank from morning till late in the evening. The first days i was feeling very anxious and depressed. Today im feeling less anxious and less depressed, but i think i'm freaking out. I read that anxiousness can come when someone ends college, but from alcohol too. So i don't know what of the two is getting me crazy(i think i'll go mad lol). Any one got the same problem? How much do the withdrawal symptoms last after 4 years of drinking?
Thank you very much from what you told here, got a lot of relief

NewDayNow 10-09-2008 08:16 AM

Hi Grandma :)

I didn’t have the cold sweats, but I did have serious dry drunk symptoms. I am still getting symptoms but they are less intense and farther between.

Be sure and read the information on PAWS that Carol gave you above. Read all of it. The parts two and three will give you some very important information on what you can do about it (PAW). That info has been a life saver for me. I would not have made it these 26 days without it.
Ed

maloneshawn32 10-09-2008 08:29 AM

I had the sweats, depression and the anxiousness for a few weeks and then they just stopped. They go in time, sometimes it just takes some of us a little longer. Good luck. Might want to go to a doctor and get blood work done just to be sure.

Shawn

Clutch B 10-09-2008 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by hunter (Post 1938838)
I read that anxiousness can come when someone ends college, but from alcohol too. So i don't know what of the two is getting me crazy(i think i'll go mad lol).

Graduating itself is stressful. But if you're an alcoholic, then suddenly stopping alcohol could make you more stressed out.

It could be a combination of both -- but only you can know whether you're an alcoholic.

soidog 10-09-2008 07:22 PM

I was an everyday drinker for a long time and would also "binge" on the weekends (drink a lot more than I would on the weekdays). The last time I had withdrawal symptoms they lasted less than a few days (the sweating, tremors, upset stomach, etc.), but the constant insomnia went on for WEEKS and I remain somewhat of an occasional insomniac. Having said that, being tired during the day is far better than being tired and hung over.

CarolD 10-09-2008 11:08 PM

Hunter....:wave:
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Well done on your graduation and your decision
to find a healthy sober future.
Sobriety Rocks!

You could check with your doctor ...and be honest about your
past drinking patterns ...to get a professional opinion.

Good to see a new member...please post again.

CarolD 10-09-2008 11:13 PM

soidog ...good to see you again...:wave:

Please see if this link is useful to you

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Keep in foxus...:)

Tazman53 10-10-2008 06:50 AM

Welcome to SR, I would suggest he see a doctor and be totally honest with the docotor about his drinking, and also whether or not he is taking his Xanax and other prescriptions as directed.

Xanax is called alcohol in a pill form by some folks.

It is VERY important that all of his doctors be aware that he is a recovering alcoholic, because as mentioned many meds can really mess with an alcoholic, especially if they are not being taken as prescribed.

BTW when it comes to withdrawals every one is different, another reason to see a doctor, this may or may not be withdrawals.

Trying2009 11-30-2009 06:52 PM

Itching skin part of withdrawal?

I can take the insomina and the nightmares, the sweats and the anxiety (now on day 6 of recovery) but the itchy, almost burning skin is driving me nuts.

I have been drinking really heavily for the past 4 months : 13 standard shots of gin almost every day - sometimes almost 20! Things just escalated and got out of hand. I've always been a drinker but not at that level. I was also smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, and usually finishing the night off with a couple of Tylenol with Codeine. I realize that I am lucky to still be alive.

Is this hypersensitive skin thing normal?

I have had bloodwork done, and by some miracle nothing is out of range. So this sudden itchiness I am presuming is part of the detox.

Does anyone else know of this experience? And how long do you think this could last! Would really appreciate your input!:c020:

Texasblind 11-30-2009 07:30 PM

The itchy burning skin was something I had too. I think it was a byproduct of dehydration. Once I put enough water and gatorade down me, I felt fine.