Notices

i need help getting rid of clutter

Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i need help getting rid of clutter

HELP! so many of you speak of cleaning your house now that you're sober. my house isn't filthy, just cluttered. every flat surface is covered with cds, dvds, mail, calendars, papers books, jewelry, hats, stuff etc. i just threw away a bunch of newspapers and little stuff but there's still so much more. i need to put this computer away and stop playing my game and just straighten up!!!!!!! my problem is a lack of self discipline!

i have always been like this and it drives me crazy. i can never get organized. i never put the clean laundry all the way AWAY. i can never find my checkbook. i can never find a PEN!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Perhaps you too will find small unexpected pleasures
as you progress in sobriety.

And Yes!
One of mine has been keeping my surroundings organized.

Some members may be referring to their AA program too.
Several passages of the AA Big Book speak of cleaning.
That does not mean literally house cleaning.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LoL I can relate so much to this post I had to laugh. Never finding a pen, lol, thats so funny, but there's usually hundreds buried under the mess around me. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, just let you know you're definately not alone in your unorganization. Just put my "clean" laundry away. It's been in that pile for months. There was stuff in there I was so happy to see, couldn't even remember owning it! After that, I thought it was clean! I phoned my bf was and bragging about how I had totally gutted and cleaned my room. He came over and his jaw dropped. It was still a complete and disorganized mess apparently, just minus the three over filling piles of clean laundry that had become an ornament in my room. Good luck! Lemme know if you find anything that gets you going!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A good site that helped me some is
www.flylady.net - check her out.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I continually chunk things out.

*shrug* that's how I do it.

If I don't feel like washing it - I toss it.

No matter what it is.

But then - I don't exactly .... collect stuff any more, either.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well - not true - I just thought of something - I 'collect' sayings. in this strange domestic fantasy world where I think I am going to 'embroider' thse sayings onto something ... someday.

They're in a box. full of paper. It's been across the country with me twice ... is added to, and not taken from ... nd I haven't embroidered or even needlepinted in ... ten years.

Could possibly be a ... not gonna happen thing ... but I better hang on to that box ... just in case.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ah yes clutter. I tried the whole yard sale thing, and it ended up being too much work for too little profit.

I went to the hardware store, bought the heavy duty contractor garbage bags, and declared "Jihad" on the clutter. I blasted the stereo, busted out the cleaning products, and got 'er done.

I had two areas of bags. One area had bags that were trash, and the other area had bags that went to the second hand store. I took the one group of bags, tossed them in the back of my truck and hauled them off to the Goodwill store.

I was able to get a receipt for the stuff, so I can deduct it off my taxes as charitable items. I am a wannabe minimalist, and am striving to get rid of all the crap I don't need or want. It is quite liberating.

Just make sure the stuff you are getting rid of is stuff that is yours and not the spouses.

Tom
Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sig - I LOVE it : " Wannabe minimalist"
Old 11-26-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shugabooga View Post
HELP! so many of you speak of cleaning your house now that you're sober. my house isn't filthy, just cluttered. every flat surface is covered with cds, dvds, mail, calendars, papers books, jewelry, hats, stuff etc. i just threw away a bunch of newspapers and little stuff but there's still so much more. i need to put this computer away and stop playing my game and just straighten up!!!!!!! my problem is a lack of self discipline!

i have always been like this and it drives me crazy. i can never get organized. i never put the clean laundry all the way AWAY. i can never find my checkbook. i can never find a PEN!
one reason I used to hold onto junk/stuff was fear.
funny how everything points back at the steps ain't it.?

And all those half finished projects, they were just examples of my unmanageability manifesting in all areas of life.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello shugabooga, sorry to hear you're all cluttered up. But I'm a bit glad too - I thought I was the only one. I'm the messiest person I know. I used to be a 'wannabe minimalist' but I've given up on that one. I remember tidying my kitchen before a friend came round and she said 'oh you're like me, you don't bother to tidy up'. I was so glad she hadn't seen the before picture.

And thank you so much Hooner for mentioning FLYLADY. I joined on Sunday. I can identify with so much that they say, its so me. It seems like a great idea. I don't know if it will work for me yet but no harm in giving it a go... just wanted to recommend it for anyone else drowning in chaos.