Notices

how was your thanksgiving day?

Old 11-22-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how was your thanksgiving day?

mine was non-traditional.

no turkey dinner. my niece, sister-in-law and her mom and I ate dinner at a mexican restaurant in Times Square after they saw the Rockettes at Radio City. i had a virgin strawberry margarita!

wishing everyone a happy thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My family is also non traditional
We have been dining out for years
soooo I consider its our tradition by now.

Thanks for asking and good for you!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Smile

I had the traditional Thanksgiving turkey/dressing dinner with family. Sounds to me like you had a good time with your family also. One thing about what you mentioned--having a "virgin strawberry margarita"--please be careful>my first sponsor chewed me out because I did the did the same thing & didn't see anything wrong with it because it did not contain any alcohol.

She said I still had reservations about drinking--if I kept on doing old behavior patters such as this--that one day I would probably drink again. She was right--one day I went to the restaurant which I had been ordering non-alcoholic beverages>but for some reason that particular day I ordered a drink and "forgot" to mention that I did not want alcohol in it.

Well, you know what happened next..so, be careful & maybe you are not at all like me--I am not telling you what you should do or not do. I just know that I can't drink anything that appears to resemble what I used to drink. Also, one day you may order a non-alcoholic beverage & the waiter/bartender may serve you the "real thing" by mistake. So keep that in mind. God bless!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh, i definitely have reservations!!!!!!!!!! it's going to be one day at a time! i'm afraid i'll drink again..........and at the same time, i never want to drink again!

but thanks for the heads up. i think my biggest challenge is being a bartender at a fine-dining establishment, and sometimes we do wine tastings........and i need to be able to tell my guests what the wine tastes like. so i'll cross that bridge when i get to it........i hate tasting and spitting it out, that is so gross to me. and i really don't want anyone at work to know why i'm not drinking........but so many of my co-workers have alcohol issues, that it goes without saying, that if you're not drinking, the reason is because you have issues with alcohol!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Wow, I saw the Rockettes on TV this morning, they must have been amazing live!

We did the traditional thing with my parents and a couple relatives. Played Taboo and wrestled with my parents' new puppy. Good times.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Ours was traditional, kind of cool in a way, one of my youngest daughters 15 did the turkey & I mean everything from beginning to end & the bird came out excellent!!!!

We cooked all morning & watched the parade and then stuffed our selfs all afternoon and then chilled out all evening.

Shugabooga I have eaten out for Thanksgiving before, but not mexican, did they have any specials?

BTW spitting it out may not help, alcohol is absorbed in the mouth so the cravings may kick in whther you spit it out or not. If you are serious about staing sober you may want to talk to your boss or the owner.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

tazman, just a pumpkin chimichanga with cream cheese and marshmellow stuffing, which i did not eat! but i bet it was good!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This Thanksgiving weekend for me is busy. We went over to my soon-to-be mother-in-laws house last night. Then at about 7PM we went home, put my son to bed, and then I had to prepare two large pans of Lasagna for today, Friday. My parents are coming home from Florida, (there snowbirds) for two weeks. Last week my sister had the idea to cook them dinner when they got home from the airport. Some how cooking dinner for them turned into cooking dinner for 14 people!!! My grandmother, aunt and uncle, 3 cousins, cousins girlfriend, sister, her boyfriend, my fiancee, my son.

I like cooking for others, it just sucks because my fiancee had to work the day after Thanksgiving, and I'm trying to get things done, while taking care of a million miles a minute toddler. It's all good and fun.

Tom
Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a great Thanksgiving as well. I cooked a non-traditional meal for the house since my son doesn't like traditional fare and then my new hubby and I went to his family's for a traditional dinner. My first time with the whole family. A little intimidating but turned out really well.

Then we came home and loaded up a bunch of deserts and took them over to my sister's where my side of the family got together and just had a blast. My niece, who will be 2 in about 3 weeks, was an absolute doll and was the evening entertainment.

I had the thought several times how thankful I was that everyone (including and especially me) was sober. My sister and I both have had past issues and have screwed up our share of holidays. My husband's side of the family includes some people still actively using but also some in recovery and some normies. Nobody was messed up so it was a true blessing!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

signal & kelleye those both sound so awesome

being sober with the family is so much better! in the past, i've deliberately not consumed alcohol with the family on some holidays just to keep my sanity. it makes it so much better.

i can't wait for christmas when i get to see the whole crew down in Georgia!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Had Turkey & ham w/some friends. Turkey was cooked with some orange slices in the cavity, came out real nice. Will have to try that.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

We drove to Arkansas to spend Thanksgiving with my Grandmother and parents and several aunts and uncles. There were 26 people at Grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner Thursday. It was great to see all of them again (hadn't seen my Grandma in 2.5 years), and the food was awesome! We ended up bringing home a new kitten (photo in my avatar). Grandma had felt sorry for a stray cat and put food on the carport for her, and the next thing she knew that cat had four kittens. My cousin took one home and we took another off her hands. Hopefully the rest will all find homes soon.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Awww..DKS...cute kitty!

My partner and I went to my sis's with all the kids. Six of em! The first time. Had a lot of fun. My Dad doesn't know I quit drinking, I don't often see him and he isn't very much in my life, so when he was asking who wanted wine with dinner, I didn't say anything. (had my trusty ginger ale in my hand). Then he asked me specifically.."Kar, you want some wine?"..both me and my sister immediately said NO. My sister was a tad forceful about it lol. Big sis looking out for me.

Then, had to leave to make it to a very well attended BB meeting. Lots of folks from out of town, it was a good day!

Sounds like everyone had lots to be thankful for..

Karen
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ordered a large pie to share with family i visited in clifton N.J Scotto's pizza rules......
Old 11-25-2007, 10:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I posted about it up in newcomers....