Notices

Getting married

Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Getting married

I'm getting married in just a few short days and I'm so excited. The reason for this thread is that eventhough I'm so very happy, I'm craving the drink and missing it. I'm not going to act on my cravings,but I just needed to get the cravings out there to lessen them. I miss celibrating with alcohol and think of the champane that goes along with this type of celibration. I'm marrying another sober person,so I will not have any booze at the wedding unless his family brings some wine for themselves,so I'll have no temtations in my path. I'll hit a meeting soon and talk to my sponcer,so I'll have more safegaurds,but I'm wondering does anyone else get cravings when they are happy? I do play the tape all the way through and have no wish to throw away over three years of sobriety,but man those cravings get so strong.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Zoomer,

Congrats!

I was just thinking about this today. The holidays and all. Celebrations used to mean drinking right?

Maybe you can keep thinking about how great it'll be to remember every single detail of your special day..instead of being drunk during it!

Have a lovely day!

Karen
Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use the fake sparkling apple juice..............maybe that is why I keep thinking about it eh?

Congradulations
Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Zoomer and congratulations! I just got married in September and we had a alcohol free reception. We used the sparkling grape juice for the toast.

The day was such a blur, I don't remember having any thoughts of drinking but the night before when we were decorating the hall, they had left a partial bottle of whiskey in the big cooler. I did have a moment of insanity but that was all. Just a moment that I had that thought followed swiftly by a mental kick in the *ss and a reminder of who and what I am.

The thoughts and cravings are normal I think. What is important is what we do with that thought. I was told I have no control over that first thought but I have total control over the second one when I decide whether to drink or not.

My best advice to you as a newlywed, make as many meetings as you possibly can and stay in contact with your sponsor and any sober friends. Keep sharing how you're feeling. You're in a stressful time right now so get those thoughts and feelings out so they lose their power. Remember your fiance is likely feeling pressure too so be extra loving and tolerant of each other. Lots and lots of prayer and meditation.

Please let us know afterwards how everything went and I wish you both the very best that a sober life has to offer.

Take care,
Kellye
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations to both of you as you begin a new positive sober life!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh! Zoomer ! HUGE congrats on your coming marriage, and Blessings for a wonderful sober , fun filled life

HUGX
Leigh
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm so very lucky to have found another sober person to share my life with. I'v been zooming up to about 100 miles per hour and very little sleep. Trying to lose a few pounds too to look good in my outfit. I was just thinking about HALT, I'm not lonely or angry,but am tired and dam hungry LOL. I think I have to get down to basics too with all this excitment. I go to school too and have test coming up today and tomorrow,but I think I'll postpone my test tomorrow so I can get some rest and hit a meeting. BTU I can't drink that sparkling cider because it would trigger me too much. Coffee or diet coke will have to do. I'm not having a big wedding,just a few family memembers (30) and we are getting married on Thanksgiving at his sisters house. His Brother in law is a judge and will marry us,so I have no stress in wedding planning just all excitment. The reception will be Thanksgiving dinner,so how perfect is that! I don't have to cook, I just have to show up. At anyrate, thanks again for the advice and well wishes. 2 more days to go!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WOWZA!!!!!

Congratulations!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations Zoomer! Have a great day!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

Congratulations!! Oh, I love weddings... something most folks don't know about me is that I am such a sappy sapperson. Ridiculous. But-I wish you all the best, and have so much fun, and thank God you're sober for this!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Congrats! I've had craving when good and bad happen- all part of being an alcoholic! Obssesed with the booze lol! But it'll go in time. i have faith in that.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Zoomer!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
I do play the tape all the way through and have no wish to throw away over three years of sobriety,but man those cravings get so strong.
First, I want to wish you a life of happiness, marriage is a sacred covenant.

You may want to consider reading today's Big Book Quote.

At three years sober, you are not experiencing craving, contrary to popular belief the phenomena of craving occurs when an alcoholics takes a drink. It sounds like you are experiencing the peculiar mental blank spot-obsession of the mind.

I too wanted to drink many months into sobriety, this was before I knew there was a solution. I worked the steps as they are outlined in the Big Book, had a spiritual awakening, and recovered from alcoholism, and for that I am tremendously grateful.
best wishes to you.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage...
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Rob,don't know if I'll ever recover from alcoholism,that is why i try to work a one day at a time program. I have worked the steps and work them to the best of my ability everyday. LOL, I can say I'v never really had a spritual awakening,but lots of rude ones. Thanks again everyone for the well wishes. Today I do not have a craving or a thought of a drink thank God. Maybe because one of my test is over and I postponed the other one to give me a chance to relax a bit. I ate, I'm going to take a short nap before work,so I'm trying to do halt. O ya, time to call my sponcer, gee I almost forgot. Have a good day everyone!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations Zoomer !!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, Zoomer. I wish you many years of health, wealth and happiness.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Yesssssssssssss today is the big day. Thanks again for all the well wishes. No cravings today except for coffee and turkey LOL.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thinking of you on your special day
Old 11-22-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Zoomer:

Congratulations on your marriage and sobriety.

Peace.