Notices

Night terrors????

Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Night terrors????

I guess this is what is happening. not sure though, but it has gotten a lot worse here just recently.

For years before I quit drinking I would scream out "NO" at the top of my voice while sleeping, but this happened only about once a week and was never (that I can recall) associated with a dream of any sort, I would simply scream "NO" at the top of my voice while sleeping, many times loud enough to wake my self up.

Well here it is over 13 months since my last drink and now it is getting REALLY bad, my wife said that for the last 2 nights I have been doing it continuously for hours! They do not wake me up and I have had no bad dreams that I recall, but this is getting a lot worse.

Bad enough to where I am going to set up a doctors appointment for it.

Any one had this or heard of it?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dunno, Taz, but seing the dr. sounds like a great idea. I have heard in the past that night terrors may be associated with experiencing trauma of some sort or childhood trauma. But I'm no DR. (I just play one on TV!)

Keep us posted ok?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Taz,

I used to have nightmares when still drinking and thought it was due to my drinking.

After I sobered up I still had them but they were mostly related to my traumatic experience revolving around my second husband and my divorce.

My counselor used to say I was still feeling love/hate emotions regarding the incident
that led to the divorce. It has been twenty-three years since I divorced him and he died a few years ago from a heart attack and I STILL have dreams about him controling my life.

So...I don't know either...I think it is an individual thing...although I still do the NO NO thing I don't know why??? It is good that you are going to get it checked out.

kelsh
Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The odd thing with this is I to my recollection have absolutely no dream/nightmare tied to this, it just happens!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have night terrors where I yell out things but they are associated with PTSD. They tend to occur periodically and last for a week or two then they are gone again for a while.

When you talk to your doctor you might ask about a sleep study. They can tell you a lot about the brain activity that goes on while you sleep as well as your physical activity.

Good luck. Hope it gets better for you soon.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes, my gf gets them all the time. I have wake her up sometimes
becuase she's screamin at the top of her lungs for "Help !!!!"
It's wierd, her body has goose bumps and she's trimbling too.
Sometimes she'll even go right back into another one right after you wake
her up. She had them eversince I've known her.

Not sure what cuase it becuase I don't even know what gose on
in her head even when she's awake.lol

I've have night terrors before...but not like that, not all the time.
I can associate mine to some greasy food or msg or, eating too late
at night, or a stressful day. or having my arm on my heart . sometimes
in my sleep a put my arms in a cross posistion as if i'm in a coffin.lol

I remember a dream once...it came true. i found myself doing the very
samething, in the same place in my dream that i've never been before,
six months later. that's wickage..lol How did my mind came up with those
images of a place that I've never been.lol

Last edited by SaTiT; 11-13-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I have no experience with this Taz, sorry. Thanks for posting about it as it may help someone else going through it. I'm curious to know what you find out from the doctor. My feeling is that as long as you're not affected by it, it's probably nothing to worry about (except if your wife or family is losing sleep that is).
Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Definitely get a Dr appt and get a referral to a pulmanologist for a sleep study.

You may have some type of sleep apinea and the yelling No is you fighting to get air.

Sleep studies are great and can really solve a lot of problems.

Get that appointment.

JMHO

Love and hugs,
Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no experience with this
why not check this out and see if someone there does?
Do a SR Forum search there.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ia-nightmares/

I am so sorry you are having this happen
Blessings
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks for the advice folks, I am going to try to set up a doctors appointment today.

This really does not bother me personally, like I said there is no dreams associated with it at all, and most of the time I do not even wake up. It does wake up my wife sometimes and if I am really loud my kids. It did scare the heck out of my sponsor when we shared a room this past weekend, he fell asleep before I had a chance to warn him.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Sorry bout this Taz. I often yell out in my sleep. It happens when I'm usually over-tired or stressed. Anything stressful going on for you?

Checking in with the doc sounds like a good idea..

Karen
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

sounds like it's going right in sync with your quitting smoking...TAZZERINO.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you for seeing the doctor! I wonder if when you were still drinking, you would have considered a doctor? I know I wouldn't have Sounds like another step forward in recovery to me...

I second (or third) the idea of a sleep study. A good friend of mine just had a sleep study and found that his sleep cycles were SO messed up and his oxygen was low all night. He's feeling like a million bucks with treatment for all of that.

Keep us posted, please!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Royalty

My son used to have night terrors when he was 6 or 7. I don't think talking or yelling out during your sleep describes 'night terrors'. I'm sure everyone is different, but my understanding of night terrors, would be that you cannot be wakened during one. My son used to get out of bed, walk down stairs, sit on floor, rock back and forth, eyes open, and scream and cry. This would last a good 20-30 minutes. There was absolutely no way to wake him up. When he calmed down, I would point him back in the direction of his bed, where he would walk on his own, still asleep, lay down, and continue to sleep the rest of the night.

It's very scarey to watch...my poor AH is son's step father, and had never seen this before....so when he saw son have one for the first time, he flipped out. He started yelling at me to "DO SOMETHING!!"....until he realized (after seeing this a few times) that there is nothing one can do for someone during a night terror.

Compared to what I have seen, yours sounds like a bad dream. Stress does tend to cause alot of this. And I have also heard that what you eat before bedtime can trigger different things......weird things that you might not even think about....for example: cheese! who knew?!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks HolyQow, I guess I should not have used the term Night Terrors, but from what I have had folks tell me I scream out like someone is doing something horrible and I want them to stop. It scares them a lot more then me!!! LOL

I keep forgetting to call about the doctors appointment...... ARRRGH!!!